• May 15th, 2020 3:18 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3113 posts
1814 upvotes

Replacing old cells with new ones.

I have some cordless power tools that the old man left me. He said they were very expensive when it was introduced but time killed the batteries.
Considering it is a snap on can I just easily replace the nickel cadium with fresh ones?
3 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3344 posts
518 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
cristianosham wrote: I have some cordless power tools that the old man left me. He said they were very expensive when it was introduced but time killed the batteries.
Considering it is a snap on can I just easily replace the nickel cadium with fresh ones?
If you can find replacement ni-cad battery packs. Or did you mean Snap-On brand?
the plastic packs disassemble the cells might be available.
Nicads in some cases can have a remarkably long lifespan, surpassing one, two and even 3 decades.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1413 posts
234 upvotes
Grimsby
So much depends on how old these expensive devices are. Often it is better to stay up to date and even then the manufacturers will create newer, bigger, better devices. When the 9 volt drills came out I was thrilled to get away from extension cords on job sites, look where we are today and it is amazing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3113 posts
1814 upvotes
fergy wrote: If you can find replacement ni-cad battery packs. Or did you mean Snap-On brand?
the plastic packs disassemble the cells might be available.
Nicads in some cases can have a remarkably long lifespan, surpassing one, two and even 3 decades.
Snap on doesn't make these packs anymore. These packs are glued together so cutting the casing is involved. 8 cells is about 21 bucks on amazon so might be worth a shot.