Home & Garden

replacing old toilet flush valve... what's my best option?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2014 2:24 pm
[OP]
Aug 24, 2014
253 posts
19 upvotes
North York

replacing old toilet flush valve... what's my best option?

I've replaced the flush valves of other toilets successfully, but this one's tricky.

[IMG]http://cfile3.uf.tistory.com/image/213F ... 3972300243[/IMG]

As you see in the picture above, the washer is somewhat bent downward and because of that my spanner can't reach the bolt properly.

I tried to flatten the washer with my hammer but the gap is so small.

So what should I do now? Should I just cut the bolt?
[IMG]http://cfile4.uf.tistory.com/image/213D ... 39703209B7[/IMG]
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1231 posts
651 upvotes
Oshawa
Why are you removing the tank to replace the flush valve?
[OP]
Aug 24, 2014
253 posts
19 upvotes
North York
The flush valve is the big plastic tube in the centre, if I'm not mistaken.
And I need to lift the tank in order to loosen the big plastic nut that's holding the flush valve not to move.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15443 posts
8353 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
There might be a misunderstanding here on what the OP is trying to achieve...

Is the water in the tank draining into the bowl between flushes? (ie. the water level drops in the tank causing the tank to refill and the water only goes into the bowl and not anywhere else?) If so, then chances are you really only need the flapper as indicated above and about 5 minutes to do the work. There are some times where you need to replace the whole assembly (as you are doing) if the plastic flapper seat is cracked/damaged so the flapper can't seal properly.

OR is the water in the tank draining outside of the bowl? (ie. on the floor under the tank?) If so, then you are on the right path as you'll need to replace (or reseat) the whole assembly.

As for the best tool to cut those bolts, use a cordless sawzall (a smaller 12V will do the job perfectly). The original person who did the install "missed" the washer that was supposed to be there. You should inspect the area around the nut for cracks as I suspect that there might be some damage due to the nut.