• Oct 29th, 2019 8:15 am
[OP]
Jan 31, 2016
299 posts
158 upvotes
Ontario

Replacing a shower drain in tiled shower

Hi,

We are going to apply Epoxy paint on the titled floor in the shower. We also need to re-Caulk all the corners of the shower room. While we are there, we are also thinking about replacing the shower drain too. The drain is buried underneath titled floor which makes it very difficult to approach or initiate the process. My question is Would it be better if we just leave it as it is even though it's quiet old? Or if I lift the drain cover by breaking the tiles in the drain area , would the rest of the drain be the same as all other drains we can buy at HomeDepot. The sizes of the drains seem very limited. Could you give me any advice toward this drain situation? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Last edited by ludwig3 on Nov 3rd, 2019 9:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5299 posts
2742 upvotes
You can’t replace the drain body itself without replacing the entire shower pan. The only thing you could hope to do is replace the drain grid cover.

Those acrylic walls are a leak waiting to happen, and are most likely just covering old tile

Based on what I see, and the condition the cast iron drain body as well as the surrounding tiles are in, anything short of re-doing to shower would be a band aid fix that won’t last very long
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Mar 20, 2017
527 posts
1336 upvotes
looking at that picture, I guarantee there's leakage around the drain. That's quite the hack repair job, with silicone smeared over the joints. Likely this was done as there were cracks showing underneath. No way to just install a drain like that and make it water tight. A complete redo will be the only way. If they want it done properly, redo with a membrane.