• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2021 5:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6702 posts
6309 upvotes

Replacing toilet seat on 'European' style toilet

I have what I was told was a 'European' style elongated toilet. I have to replace the toilet seat.

It doesn't seem like the seat I bought is going to work because there's no way for me to secure given the pieces that came with. I also have a feeling I'm going t have a hard time find a suitable toilet seat that will be compatible with this toilet because there's no way to secure - I'm not sure how to explain it so hopefully the pictures illustrate the issue I'm having.
Images
  • 20210819_095143.jpg
  • 20210819_095132.jpg
  • 20210819_095205.jpg
11 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2018
1071 posts
1043 upvotes
GTA
Ask around retailers that specialize European toilets... probably won't be able to find it in big box stores so it will cost you.
Jan 18, 2009
209 posts
115 upvotes
Leask
Google the brand name and see who the dealers/ distributors are that will point you in the right direction.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6702 posts
6309 upvotes
I should have left well enough alone ..argh. I won't bore you with all the hassle and cost - might as well replace the toilet. I have no idea why someone would even choose to install these toilets - had 2, was forced to replace the one in the basement last summer. They're pretty rare ...it's almost like they went out of their way to buy them.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6591 posts
3764 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: I should have left well enough alone ..argh. I won't bore you with all the hassle and cost - might as well replace the toilet. I have no idea why someone would even choose to install these toilets - had 2, was forced to replace the one in the basement last summer. They're pretty rare ...it's almost like they went out of their way to buy them.
Maybe it was deliberate. To be special or because they're supposed to be heavy duty. They kind of look like commercial fittings:

https://www.amazon.ca/Bemis-790TDGSL-00 ... 00DGGJ2LS/
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6702 posts
6309 upvotes
This is the replacement part:https://mansfieldparts.com/collections/ ... eat-sb1500

I'm getting a plumber to check with EMCO on the cost as they don't sell to the general public. It might be better just to get a new toilet because there are just too many restrictions with this one and it's about 10 years old at this point. Doesn't make sense to spend ~$200 when a new one will cost less. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/americ ... 32#reviews
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7558 posts
2464 upvotes
0 downvotes
theres mounting holes on the toilet, you mean to tell me you cant access the bottom of those holes? how come?
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6702 posts
6309 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: theres mounting holes on the toilet, you mean to tell me you cant access the bottom of those holes? how come?
Pictures are self-explanatory.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7558 posts
2464 upvotes
0 downvotes
hierophant wrote: Pictures are self-explanatory.
no theyre not, it does not show behind the toilet at all. maybe there is a small access hole? without pictures you should not assume its self explanatory.
Drive an Escalade
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7558 posts
2464 upvotes
0 downvotes
here is something i found, apparently you need to find the seat with that metal piece that screws in from the top

Drive an Escalade
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2709 posts
1979 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
OP have you tired to find an American Standard Elongated seat? This is what I have that came with the toilet. The attachments bolts also use a rubber grommet such as you displayed in post #6. Mine was purchased at H.D. I do not have a specific part/model number and there is nothing on the seat itself.

The grommets expand as you screw the bolts in and they hold really well.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6702 posts
6309 upvotes
I wonder if this would do the trick (starting at 1:55)

How about using glue or some other adhesive?