• Aug 18th, 2017 11:33 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4809 posts
2930 upvotes
Milton, ON.

Replacing in wall AC unit in a condo.

My condo unit is real old, 20 years old. And it just crapped out. How difficult is it to replace as a DIY? I phone AC installers and they want 250-300$ to get the unit replaced, work only.
What do I need to look for when buying a new one?
4 replies
Jul 21, 2017
60 posts
31 upvotes
Have you talked to your management office? Maybe it is just the fan motor and the building service people can get one for you for a lot less. I had that problem about five years ago.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4809 posts
2930 upvotes
Milton, ON.
The unit started to leak water into the condo. Its one of those window units thats been installed in / through the wall. I want to replace it and have a peace of mind that this will not happen again. Also lets face it, it looks like crap in the wall.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13096 posts
4705 upvotes
Ontario
Usually when an AC unit starts leaking water its because its clogged. There should be a drain and all you need to do is clean it and its probably fine. However if you want to replace it then just get the size more or less, find out what BTU the current one is & buy one thats at least the same BTU size however I would probably go a little bit bigger.
cRaZyRaVr wrote: The unit started to leak water into the condo. Its one of those window units thats been installed in / through the wall. I want to replace it and have a peace of mind that this will not happen again. Also lets face it, it looks like crap in the wall.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4809 posts
2930 upvotes
Milton, ON.
sickcars wrote: Usually when an AC unit starts leaking water its because its clogged. There should be a drain and all you need to do is clean it and its probably fine. However if you want to replace it then just get the size more or less, find out what BTU the current one is & buy one thats at least the same BTU size however I would probably go a little bit bigger.
Thing is, the drain is nowhere to be found. I have never noticed any water dripping out back of the unit outside on the balcony. Will just be remove old + put the old one in and done?