• Sep 2nd, 2019 9:27 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1542 posts
36 upvotes
usa

Replacing the washer and dryer

We are looking to replace our washer and dryer in the coming days, but not sure what brand to get. Since it's laundry room is quite small, we would not be able to fit 2 separate units. Our only options are stacked, 2-in-1 combo, or stacking 2 front load units. Out of these choices, we prefer the last. We were thinking either Whirlpool, Maytag, or Electrolux. Several stores recommended LG, and says they're rated the highest fir many years. What's everyone's preference and why?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4851 posts
792 upvotes
Burlington
I had both Samsung and Whirlpool washer/dryer combos and no issues with either. However Samsung fridge in a previous home always caused me issues. I think at the end of the day it's luck of the draw.
Jan 11, 2007
483 posts
91 upvotes
GTA
I have a Samsung front loading stacked and no issues for past 9 years (knock on wood).
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3552 posts
718 upvotes
Toronto
OP - just make sure that you have measured the depth of the units. Many units appear to be the same depth but in fact are deeper (we have that problem now and the newer units are too deep - and we are already dealing with the compact units). A contractor who lives in a condo had the exact same issue - he went to the laundromat.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1542 posts
36 upvotes
usa
Turns out the control on the dryer is too high when stacked for some family member. Only Kenmore offer dryer that you can relocate the control panel to the bottom of the unit, but I'm not sure about Kenmore since it seems that Sears closed so many stores.

We're considering LG or Samsung since they have an app, but I wonder if we can control the water temp, liadsize, dryer air temp, load size, etc... If so, I think we would have to opt for either LG or Samsung. Currently we're looking at the Samsung WF45R6300WH and the matching gas dryer.

The depth of the spot where the washer and dryer goes is 86" high (floor to ceiling), and 36" deep. According the the appliance store website, the Samsung washer is 31.38" deep and dryer is 31.5" deep.
Sep 30, 2001
28738 posts
7971 upvotes
Toronto
same question as the op. I don't know anything about electric dryers. Are there brands I should avoid, features to skip? etc.
We're all in this together. Be kind and civil with one another
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1542 posts
36 upvotes
usa
Looks like stacking the washer and dryer is not an option for us. The controls are too high for some members. Their app does not allow users to do too much.

Our options now are either stacked (2 in 1) which we hate. Or 2 separate units, which we can't put side by side due to space. Since the dryer is gas, it'll be stationary at the current spot. I'm thinking about putting the washer on a dolly with locking caster wheels so we can move it aside if we need to get around the washer. I was looking at the Bora Tools' PM-900 wheels. From 1 of the pic, it looks like when the wheels are down, the unit is lifted off the floor, and when the wheels are up, the unit will sit directly on the floor. Bora chat says the wheels are always going to have floor contact. It seems that the pic if viewed on a pc and phone is diff. Maybe I can just get something to choke the dolly so it doesn't move from the vibration. I prefer the dolly to be sitting on the floor when the washer is in use to ensure it's not moving, but couldn't find a solution yet.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3443 posts
2426 upvotes
Toronto
How limited is your side to side space?

A step stool is a cheap way to make people taller ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1542 posts
36 upvotes
usa
The ac / furnace is close by the washer. I may be able to squeeze the washer and dryer side by side, but would be impossible to replace the filter.

I thought about a small step stool, but dangerous fir the older family members.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1542 posts
36 upvotes
usa
We're considering either another stacked washer dryer, or Kenmore 41262 & 91392 since the dryer's control panel can be moved to the bottom.

Since we need to stack them, the stacking kit is needed. Can you stack 2 different brands and/or models and use the stacking kit to secure them? I'm asking in case 1 unit needs to be replaced and can not get the same model as a matching set. I'm not sure if the stacking kit is brand specific, model specific, or universal.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2556 posts
611 upvotes
Ottawa
Does the ON rebate apply to Washer and dryers?
Banned
Nov 17, 2014
942 posts
755 upvotes
Ontario
AtlsNBP wrote: Does the ON rebate apply to Washer and dryers?
Yes it does, Energy Star ones anyways.