None
[OP]
Apr 29, 2007
319 posts
90 upvotes
Caledon

Replacing/Wiring Fluorescent Ballast - Extra Wires

Hi,

I am trying to replace the two-light ballast below. This broken ballast has four blue wires, two red wires, and one yellow (plus the white and black not shown).

The new, replacement ballast (Philips RELB-2S40-N) is below. It has only two blue wires, two red wires, and two yellow wires.

So, I've got two less blue wires, and an additional yellow. Can you advise me on how to make the proper connection of these three colours? Thanks.
6 replies
Jul 14, 2005
670 posts
151 upvotes
On the new ballast there is a wiring diagram on the label of how the wires should connect.
[OP]
Apr 29, 2007
319 posts
90 upvotes
Caledon
dmyvr wrote: On the new ballast there is a wiring diagram on the label of how the wires should connect.
My understanding was that I was to snip the wires at the ballast, unscrew the ballast from the fixture, screw in the new ballast, and then make the connections using the new ballast, fixture wiring, and wire nuts. Therefore, I would still be in a situation in which the new ballast's wiring was incompatible with the fixtures wiring (making the diagram useless).

Am I actually expected to remove the old ballast and remove all of the wiring to the fixture as well? Just looking at the fixture, it doesn't look easy to remove the existing wiring from the fixture.
Jul 14, 2005
670 posts
151 upvotes
From what i can tell you can keep the fixture wiring.

From old ballast pair of blues to new ballast pair of blue.
From old ballast pair of blues to new ballast pair of red.
From old ballast pair red (twist reds together) to new ballast single yellow.
From old ballast single yellow to new ballast single yellow.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
http://www.lighting.philips.com/pwc_li/ ... 0N-new.pdf
mondriano wrote: My understanding was that I was to snip the wires at the ballast, unscrew the ballast from the fixture, screw in the new ballast, and then make the connections using the new ballast, fixture wiring, and wire nuts. Therefore, I would still be in a situation in which the new ballast's wiring was incompatible with the fixtures wiring (making the diagram useless)..
If you cant figure this out, you really shouldnt be the one doing this.