Cell Phones

republic wireless opens up with $19 unlimited everything plan.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2011 5:43 pm
Tags:
None
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2008
1775 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]Your republic wireless membership includes unlimited calling, texting and data over Wi-Fi and Sprint’s cellular network.[/QUOTE]

couldn't people just abuse this as an unlimited plan over the cell network? Or maybe not "abuse", but it certainly seems like a loop hole
© 2015
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2760 posts
228 upvotes
Canadia
Awesome idea. However they need to come up with a software version so that people can use whatever android phone they want with the Republic service. Being forced to use an LG Optimus is unacceptable.

But this is really a major step in the right direction; driving ARPU down, down, down by making use of ubiquitous wifi networks.
[external advertising link removed]
Apr 23, 2004
978 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
i wonder if this is available here in canada
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47029 posts
9312 upvotes
gstylez wrote: i wonder if this is available here in canada

+1 I was wondering the same too.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2578 posts
148 upvotes
went to order, only see order options for US States and zip codes.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5614 posts
1078 upvotes
Toronto
Only in the US, they piggyback off the Sprint network when not in WiFi range.

This is a very cool idea though and in the future as LTE becomes more common, I can see mobile data plans replacing voice/txt/data combo plans.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
djemzine wrote: +1 I was wondering the same too.
The concept is of GAN or UMA ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_Access_Network ). its available in canada and everywhere the carrier chooses to implement it( or restrict it ). commonly known as wifi calling.
I think it would be a great idea for all the new start ups in Canada to implement it as it doesn't cost them any money and would help get new customers in areas where their service is lacking.

currently the Canadian carriers charge for this ( such a ripoff ! See Rogers TalkSpot, Fido Uno ) not sure how Telus and Bell handle it.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2004
4713 posts
253 upvotes
Coquitlam
giant wifi calling network. umm..pass.
HOW CAN I BE GOING BROKE WHEN I'M SAVING SO MUCH MONEY!?
MY EBAY FEEDBACK
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
madman604 wrote: giant wifi calling network. umm..pass.

I dont believe its wifi exclusive, its "Hybrid" with emphasis on UMA. ( see my earlier post )

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)