• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2021 11:29 pm
[OP]
Jun 1, 2015
646 posts
194 upvotes
Calgary, AB

Request from buyer after Kijiji sale

I sold a dumbbell (new in sealed box) to a guy after posting it on Kijiji.

Everything went smoothly during pick up - he paid the amount agreed on with cash. A few minutes later, he sent me the following text,

"Hey thanks again. Everything looks good. Can you please confirm the details of our transaction if you have a second. It is just so I have a record and can expense it at work (replying confirmed is good enough):

Ad ID _________

Settled in cash on Dec 31, 2020"

Just wondering before I go ahead and "confirm" that it is safe for me to do so and won't backfire on me in any way. The guy seemed nice enough and I would like to help him out if I can as long as I'm not putting myself at risk here. Is there anything I need to be aware of before going ahead and confirming this sale through replying to his text?

The guy did seem a little nervous (not overly though) and I encouraged him to go ahead and open the box to check the dumbbell but he didn't seem too concerned and eventually did not inspect the dumbbell like I would have expected. Am I reading too much into this ?
Last edited by RigorMortis on Jan 1st, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8704 posts
1656 upvotes
I've had a few of these in the past. Nothing wrong with replying mentioning what you had sold, the final sale price and the condition of the sale which was "as-is." Even if you ignored doing this, some kijij buyers will just make up their own bill of sale without you anyways if they really want a receipt and don't want to bother the seller.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Sep 27, 2003
10412 posts
2862 upvotes
Newmarket
Ad ID _________

Settled in cash on Dec 31, 2020"

I would have no issue with that.
RFD Forums Moderator
[OP]
Jun 1, 2015
646 posts
194 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Thanks everyone. Went ahead and confirmed
Banned
Nov 3, 2020
112 posts
95 upvotes
Plot twist: this is a secret CRA agent and they’ll check if you report this income!

hehe j/k dude chillax
Veteran RFD
Jan 3, 2015
157 posts
115 upvotes
Delta, BC
He probably get a fitness benefit from his workplace and needs a receipt to claim it.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2012
1267 posts
1175 upvotes
Vancouver
neilc6 wrote: He probably get a fitness benefit from his workplace and needs a receipt to claim it.
This is the answer