• Sep 13th, 2019 10:25 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario

Request To Inspect - City Of Toronto

Hello,

My parents just received a letter from the city of Toronto for Request to Inspect.

Its saying "To determine whether the use of the property complies with the provisions set out in a zoning by-law passed under section 34 of the panning act"

Any idea what this means and what they are looking for? I found this but not sure exactly, it sounds like they need to make sure we are not using our property for something we should not be however im not even sure why they would even come check we are not doing anything odd - https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90p13#BK54

Thanks
Last edited by sickcars on Sep 9th, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
41 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
Have you tried looking up Section 24 of the Planning Act?
:confused:
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Yes I have however, i have not found a clear explanation which is why I have posted as I wait for the city to get back to me.

Thanks
iEyeCaptain wrote: Have you tried looking up Section 24 of the Planning Act?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
sickcars wrote: Hello,

My parents just received a letter from the city of Toronto for Request to Inspect.

Its saying "To determine whether the use of the property complies with the provisions set out in a zoning by-law passed under section 24 of the panning act"

Any idea what this means and what they are looking for?

Thanks
First link in google https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90p13#BK43
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
sickcars wrote: Sorry its actually section 34 not 24 my original post was incorrect.

found this but there is just so much info here, it could be any of this - https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90p13#BK54
For whatever reason, the bylaw people believe your parents have violated one of the planning codes. Nobody here will have any idea which one. You'll have to wait for them to get back to you.

Most often, things like this come up as a result of a neighbor complaint, often triggered by construction or other changes.

C
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
sickcars wrote: Sorry its actually section 34 not 24 my original post was incorrect.

found this but there is just so much info here, it could be any of this - https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90p13#BK54
Are they violating any of those? They must have pissed off a neighbor for then to complain.

Do they have an illegal shed or are they using a ravine or something? Did they build anything recently?
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Nope does not look like they have. We do have a shed that we built but that was 20 years ago & its in good shape (not sagging or falling down)

We did put up some 2x8 to separate our driveway with the neighbors however that was around 2 years ago and we are on good terms with him & has never mentioned anything about it so I doubt that is the issue at least not called in by him.
no Ravin or anything, we have a big backyard that my dad plants vegetables every year etc

I detail cars in the front of my house (in our driveway) for friends/family in the summer but for example this summer I did like 4 cars but I should be able to do that.
engineered wrote: Are they violating any of those? They must have pissed off a neighbor for then to complain.

Do they have an illegal shed or are they using a ravine or something? Did they build anything recently?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
sickcars wrote: I detail cars in the front of my house (in our driveway) for friends/family in the summer but for example this summer I did like 4 cars but I should be able to do that.
There it is....a neighbour complained you are running an auto detailing business out of the home.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
sickcars wrote: Nope does not look like they have. We do have a shed that we built but that was 20 years ago & its in good shape (not sagging or falling down)

We did put up some 2x8 to separate our driveway with the neighbors however that was around 2 years ago and we are on good terms with him & has never mentioned anything about it so I doubt that is the issue at least not called in by him.
no Ravin or anything, we have a big backyard that my dad plants vegetables every year etc

I detail cars in the front of my house (in our driveway) for friends/family in the summer but for example this summer I did like 4 cars but I should be able to do that.
Maybe someone complained about "hazardous" chemicals from the detailing?

4 cars is hardly a business. If they ask, just say you did your friends cars for free.

What are the dimensions of the shed?
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Could be, at least if thats the issue it should be easy to deal with since I dont. I have a full time job I dont have time to do it let alone outside since I dont have a garage haha.
Zamboni wrote: There it is....a neighbour complained you are running an auto detailing business out of the home.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Could be, but everything i use I buy in the stores/Canadian online retailers none of them have any sort of hazardous signs on them. If its bad I should not be able to buy them locally.

The shed is fairly big but im not sure the exact size. I would say something around, 10 feet length, 5 feet width, 15ft height? I'm guessing. I know its for sure under the height limit as neighbors have built taller ones around us.

engineered wrote: Maybe someone complained about "hazardous" chemicals from the detailing?

4 cars is hardly a business. If they ask, just say you did your friends cars for free.

What are the dimensions of the shed?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
3167 posts
3653 upvotes
Toronto
Doesn't sound like anything major, someone obviously complained about something but lodgeing a complaint is like an as-h-l-e....everybody has one.

Could be benign or can be something like a AC unit too close to the property line or illegal apt.

Please let us know what the concern is?
“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age.....and dreams are forever.”
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Yes hopefully nothing serious.

not AC unit as its in the back of our home. Maybe because its old and loud? haha who knows.
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: Doesn't sound like anything major, someone obviously complained about something but lodgeing a complaint is like an as-h-l-e....everybody has one.

Could be benign or can be something like a AC unit too close to the property line or illegal apt.

Please let us know what the concern is?
Jun 12, 2017
37 posts
45 upvotes
I am a planner.

Section 34 of the planning act regulates the use of land through a zoning by-law. Is the property used for something that may not be legal? Perhaps an illegal basement suite? Has there been an addition or alteration done recently that would offend the requirements of the by-law? (i.e. reduced any setbacks, built a large shed, etc.?)

Without any further info, its difficult to determine. Usually its complaint based, but something blatant that's visible from the street would warrant the City to be proactive to avoid setting an undesirable precedent in the neighbourhood.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Nope nothing like that. No construction etc.

Im sure I will hear back from the city today and find out what it is. Hopefully its nothing serious.

Thanks
danny06 wrote: I am a planner.

Section 34 of the planning act regulates the use of land through a zoning by-law. Is the property used for something that may not be legal? Perhaps an illegal basement suite? Has there been an addition or alteration done recently that would offend the requirements of the by-law? (i.e. reduced any setbacks, built a large shed, etc.?)

Without any further info, its difficult to determine. Usually its complaint based, but something blatant that's visible from the street would warrant the City to be proactive to avoid setting an undesirable precedent in the neighbourhood.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
So I found out the issue for the complaint. Somebody called in because they think we have multiple people living in the home when we should not be.

I'm not sure why they would think that as we have Never had friends or family living with us other then my parents and their children (me and my sister) Whoever made the complaint needs some glasses and need to learn how to mind their own business. Anyways they will be coming for an on-site visit in the near future, I told them to come sooner if they wanted to because we have nothing to hide and this was a BS complaint.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
sickcars wrote: So I found out the issue for the complaint. Somebody called in because they think we have multiple people living in the home when we should not be.

I'm not sure why they would think that as we have Never had friends or family living with us other then my parents and their children (me and my sister) Whoever made the complaint needs some glasses and need to learn how to mind their own business. Anyways they will be coming for an on-site visit in the near future, I told them to come sooner if they wanted to because we have nothing to hide and this was a BS complaint.
How many cars do you have parked out front? Maybe just a racist jerk complaining.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Our driveway can only fit 2 cars and thats already a tight fit. Unless they think our neighbors driveway is ours also however they only have 1 car.
engineered wrote: How many cars do you have parked out front? Maybe just a racist jerk complaining.