Personal Finance

Request of TVQ payment for goods picked up in Ogdensburg from Gouvernement du Québec

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2019 11:41 am
[OP]
Apr 21, 2017
368 posts
323 upvotes
Chelsea

Request of TVQ payment for goods picked up in Ogdensburg from Gouvernement du Québec

Good evening all,

I was wondering if anyone received a request in the past from the Gouvernment of Quebec looking for TVQ payments from taxable goods brought into Quebec.

I have an address with myusaddress.ca and have been carrying stuff across the border for the past ~4 years, once or twice a year.

Anything from shoes to clothes, computer equipments and varied goods, all for personal usage.

I just received a request from the provincial government to pay +/- 460$ related to goods brought into Quebec from the past 2 years or so (from April 2017 - December 2018).

I read article 17 quickly, and it mostly pertained to motor vehicles and such. I must say I’m surprised to see some items listed at like 40$ being taxed.

I’m not against paying it, I’m mostly concerned by the precedent this could create by accepting payment ie. they’re saying that for all future “imports”, I will have yo fill out a form.

Anyone care to chime in with past experience ?

Thanks

Edit: Copy of the letter (in french) https://imgur.com/a/VjfKfFa
Last edited by SimonL556 on May 11th, 2019 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2541 posts
1037 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
1. don't you pay at CBSA at the point of entry if there's anything taxable?

2. Otherwise, did you declare or send these items to the Quebec government somehow? - "use tax" it sounds like
Give me a J. I'm a maniac and an African expert.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11905 posts
8167 upvotes
Edmonton
So are these items you’re accused of bringing across the border and not declaring? If that’s the case, you might want to plan for “extra special” treatment when crossing the border, as I would suspect it means your record has been flagged.

C
[OP]
Apr 21, 2017
368 posts
323 upvotes
Chelsea
No, I have always been very diligent with my declarations, carrying all my receipts and such.

My understanding is that I, a resident of Quebec, crossing the border in Ontario, am only charged GST (5%) on what I declare, which I have always paid.

But I would believe that CBSA forwards my custom declaration to Revenue Québec, and they decided to charge me Quebec sales tax (9.75%) on everything I’ve declared since 2017, stating article 17 on Quebec tax laws. I always figured that if I were to be taxed, it was going to be paid during my declaration, not two years after..

Which is why I was inquiring if anyone had a similar experience in the past...
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2149 posts
1384 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Canada Customs only collects either G.S.T. or H.S.T. depending on the agreement they have with the provinces. They then forward the information to those provinces that do not have an H.S.T. whereby they only collected the G.S.T. It can sometimes take up to 3 years for the information to be passed and processed by the provinces. For example, I purchased a boat in 2015 (used, private sale), there is no G.S.T. on a used boat however because Ontario has an agreement for a blended tax (H.S.T.) I was assessed the full H.S.T. when the file made its way to the Ontario Government 3 years later.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
[OP]
Apr 21, 2017
368 posts
323 upvotes
Chelsea
While it makes sense to me for motor vehicules (sums over 10K$), I was very surprised to see this being applied to personal goods..

See here for a picture of the letter (in french) : https://imgur.com/a/VjfKfFa

As previously mentioned, what really bothers me is the second-to-last paragraph, which now forces me to produce a letter for anything brought in Canada, or face a penalty fine...