Requesting Failed Transmission Opinions

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2020 1:33 pm
Jul 10, 2017
143 posts
275 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Requesting Failed Transmission Opinions

If this is the wrong place for this type of message, I apologize.

Car: 2007 VW Passat Wagon 2.0T with 6 speed automatic transmission.
KM: 158,000

Car drives, but lurches into 2nd gear and the limp mode activates once in a while throwing a transmission code. I suppose it could still drive (until it can't) for quite some time.

Transmission shop confirmed it requires a rebuilt or replacement with used transmissin ($1600 quote for the part).
Best rebuild quote I have is High 2's to low 4s depending what they find. The other place quoted 5k-5500.
Best used quote I have is 3k after tax.
Both places do not recommend used because of the gamble.

I paid 4k for the car last year and have put about $4000 into it from various repairs (Plugs/coils, thermostat/rad fan, vacuum pump, oil housing were the 4 big repairs) plus that includes 4 new tires.

The car drives mostly fine at the moment. I don't drive all that much because of covid and working from home. I don't really care enough about cars to care that it's not the best newest car ever. If it were fine, I'd drive it for multiple years to come.

I'm looking for some opinions on best way forward. I figure it is worth MAX $2000 (though I can't imagine anyone gives me that) in it's current state. I figure with a fixed transmission it's worth MAX $5000 (probably a little hopeful).

What would you do?
35 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1569 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
I'll sell you a manual 2007 Elantra for 1k. You could buy three of those for the price of a tranny.
4k maintenance a year on any car is Insanity.

Buy a Corolla.
Jul 10, 2017
143 posts
275 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
cowbunpants wrote: I'll sell you a manual 2007 Elantra for 1k. You could buy three of those for the price of a tranny.
4k maintenance a year on any car is Insanity.

Buy a Corolla.
I agree, 4k was ridiculous. It got away from me and every time I thought it was over another thing came up. It's more like it was 3200 for the maintenance because the Tires were ~$800. Even still, the car was obviously a terrible purchase. Typically I was driving $1000-$2000 beaters from Craigslist 1-2 years at a time. I got a little cocky this time and went for something a bit more premium and ultimately played myself.
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1037 posts
622 upvotes
z0mbi3 wrote: If this is the wrong place for this type of message, I apologize.

Car: 2007 VW Passat Wagon 2.0T with 6 speed automatic transmission.
KM: 158,000

Car drives, but lurches into 2nd gear and the limp mode activates once in a while throwing a transmission code. I suppose it could still drive (until it can't) for quite some time.

Transmission shop confirmed it requires a rebuilt or replacement with used transmissin ($1600 quote for the part).
Best rebuild quote I have is High 2's to low 4s depending what they find. The other place quoted 5k-5500.
Best used quote I have is 3k after tax.
Both places do not recommend used because of the gamble.

I paid 4k for the car last year and have put about $4000 into it from various repairs (Plugs/coils, thermostat/rad fan, vacuum pump, oil housing were the 4 big repairs) plus that includes 4 new tires.

The car drives mostly fine at the moment. I don't drive all that much because of covid and working from home. I don't really care enough about cars to care that it's not the best newest car ever. If it were fine, I'd drive it for multiple years to come.

I'm looking for some opinions on best way forward. I figure it is worth MAX $2000 (though I can't imagine anyone gives me that) in it's current state. I figure with a fixed transmission it's worth MAX $5000 (probably a little hopeful).

What would you do?
Could be just the valve body ( https://www.shenghaiautoparts.com/shop/ ... sharan-03/ ). The car drives fine until it warmed up? The transmission is made by Aisin (Japan).

valve body removal ( note possible wiring issue)

Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
3374 posts
6362 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
158k and already that much done/needed!?

I would drive until it fails and not put another $ into the car.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10120 posts
10230 upvotes
You bought a used German car, and one that's 10+ years old. What do you expect?

Drive it until it doesn't move anymore and then junk it and get $500 back
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1982 posts
1453 upvotes
Toronto
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: 158k and already that much done/needed!?

I would drive until it fails and not put another $ into the car.
Or try to sell it before an issue comes up and deters a buyer lol
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1174 posts
1556 upvotes
Calgary
Clear codes and dump it on kijiji
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
4007 posts
1352 upvotes
Scarborough
No point spending 2-3k on something that'll likely happen to the car again.

Sell it as is. Or keep driving it without spending another dime, other than oil changes.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3320 posts
1214 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
Not sure if it will be worth you putting money into the transmission.

This is considering that the timing belt is due if you haven't already done it, and the timing chain may also need to be done.

The timing chain tensioners are known to grenade on these engines. Both of these maintenance items can another $2k easily on top of the transmission.

I would likely cut my losses and drive it as is until you can find something else
Aug 28, 2007
480 posts
1055 upvotes
Toronto
I'm guessing you've already changed the transmission fluid?

Could also try Lucas Transmission fix to see if it improves. Not a perma fix but may make things better in the meantime.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1569 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
You can also try googling if WW has a common pattern failure with that car.
Could be something minor. Or could be something major.
Go to a WW specific forum.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18998 upvotes
cowbunpants wrote: You can also try googling if WW has a common pattern failure with that car.
Could be something minor. Or could be something major.
Go to a WW specific forum.
Well someone already mentioned it may only be the valve body. Of course if you drive around with an ill-functioning valve body for a while and you're very likely going to do more damage.

OP has to consider a few things. First off it seems like they may not have checked out the car thoroughly enough, and had it inspected by a 3rd party before buying? If that's the case...this is the kind of thing that happens. If it was thoroughly researched and properly inspected, it may just be a bit of bad luck.

Either way, some things should be considered.

You paid $4k for a car--that's pretty darn cheap IMO. It's a "real" Passat (not an NMS) so it's not exactly like you're driving a total econobox here either. Tyres cannot be considered because you'd have to replace those on any car in the same time frame with the same type of tread remaining when you bought it. Unless these are tyres that wore out extremely fast, this would be the same as any car.

You've already put over $3k into repairs on it. You could dump it now but the transmission issue is quite obvious and so you would have to take considerably less money than the car is worth on the market. So the $4k you paid, if you sell it with a busted tranny you're likely gonna get $1k if you're lucky, depending on the rest of the condition. In this case you'll basically end up paying about $6k, give or take, for about a year's use--could have leased a new car for that money (plus you could even include the tyre cost now because a new car would have new tyres).

You are faced with putting about $3-4k more into it now to fix the transmission. You could do that and hope to drive for a few years relatively trouble free and recoup some of this so it doesn't end up being a $6k mistake, or you could just chalk the $3k + tyres cost as "sunk cost" and cut your losses and move on...but you'd still likely need to spend a few thousand on a replacement vehicle anyway.

It's up to you, really. Whatever you decide, if you didn't do it this time, next car you purchase make sure you thoroughly go over it, have a 3rd party inspection done as well, and do all your research on problem areas, maintenance costs, etc.

Personally I'd keep this car but then i wouldn't be paying people to repair the problems on it, so that's a bit of a different story--when you're stuck paying mechanic/labour costs along with parts, you're gonna be stuck with hefty repair bills whenever there is a failure, regardless of the vehicle.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1294 posts
1241 upvotes
redblack wrote: Clear codes and dump it on kijiji
If you are serious then that would be a really dick move.
Nov 5, 2006
382 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
Like others gave mentioned, as tough as this may be given all you’ve invested, it’s probably best to cut and run at this point. Go find a cheap econo box and move on. It’s all you can do at this point.
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10977 posts
14468 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
cristianosham wrote: Was the transmission oil ever serviced?
Was probably done when the blinker fluid was flushed and filled with Premium Bavarian Blinker Fluid.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
3374 posts
6362 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
George613 wrote: If you are serious then that would be a really dick move.
True, and if buyer is crazy enough, will hunt down OP's residence
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1037 posts
622 upvotes
raven0usvampire wrote: I'm guessing you've already changed the transmission fluid?

Could also try Lucas Transmission fix to see if it improves. Not a perma fix but may make things better in the meantime.
"lifetime" design

The valve body likely has to be replaced. Therefore, the fluid as well.

This synthetic ATF works well with Aisin transmissions (~$33/5L at Walmart):

Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
Sell that POS and get something more reliable.

You have already Sunk $4K in repairs on a vehicle you got for $4K. Any decent transmission fix will cost $1200 to $3000 these days.

I would just change the transmission fluid, add some Lucas Transmission Fix, clear the fault codes and see how it drives. If it works, sell it to some used car dealer like Auto Showplace, etc. You are going to take a hit, but the bleed of spending $$ will have to end.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)