Requesting opinions on the below places

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2021 8:40 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 18, 2020
21 posts

Requesting opinions on the below places

FTHB planning to buy a condo as primary residence for the next 10+ years. Below are the places we're considering

1. 5162 Yonge St (Gibson sq by Menkes)
2. 5444 Yonge st (Skyview by Tridel)
3. 271 Ridley Blvd (Ridley Blvd 1 by Tridel)
4. 5418 Yonge St (Royal arm's by Tridel)

Can I get opinions on these areas for raising a family and if these places are more on the side of owner occupied or high turnover.

The older condos are big in size but I'm a little worried about the maintenance fees and it's increase over the years that we plan on staying there. I'm also worried about general structural issues, rain water leakage through the windows and such issues with the older builds.
3 replies
Mar 14, 2018
946 posts
902 upvotes
GTA
Can't say anything about the buildings but I really like the area as it's very convenient... Lots of restaurants and stores nearby, 30 min subway ride to downtown, close to 401. More importantly perhaps the only walkable neighborhood in North York... Besides that crazy random van attack, the area is very safe as well.

One thing to note -- schools on the East of Yonge tend to be better... (e.g. Earl Haig) so I think the buildings on the East side have the premium. But make sure to check the actual school assignment because many of the newer condos do not get good schools.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
2381 posts
2422 upvotes
Any location on or near Yonge Street is great for transit (if you plan to take the ttc). As per previous response, verify schools in the catchment area and don't assume. Call them.

If I had a choice, I prefer a mid to low-rise (7-8 floor building). I've rented in a Tridel (leeds standard) high rise (over 30 floors) for one year and it was a nightmare experience. The building was only 3-4 years old at the time. I was on the 6th floor so if there was an emergency, easy to walk up/down.

.smell of food in the hallway
.slamming of doors from next door neighbor renter (complained so many times but didn't help) - while sitting inside watching tv, the wall would shake from the door slamming
.fire trucks show up regularly (one time i was not able to get into the building for 2-3 hours)
.window that actually opens has a latch issue
.got stuck in an elevator mid floor with 10 other ppl for 45 minutes (ringing the buzzer in elevator was little help)
.at one point, only 1 elevator was working out of 3 for a 30+ floor building! - Elevator service could be a problem if the service company is on strike

So much for a Tridel 3 to 4 year old building. Good Luck!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)