Careers

Required design experience for P.Eng - continuing education?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2015 8:56 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 12, 2009
67 posts
5 upvotes

Required design experience for P.Eng - continuing education?

Hello all,

I went to school and got a B.Eng but it was never in any particular stream, just a mish-mash of all disciplines. Now that I have been out of school for two years, I am doing project management duties, which do not satisfy the required work experience for P.Eng. Finding a design job has been a very difficult task for me since most employers would quickly filter out any applicants who do not have the required engineering discipline background. However, I am pretty set on getting my P.Eng and want to take some courses in order to increase my chances of getting a design job. I believe I have three options for continuing education:
1) Taking university courses: I have tried to get back into my original university for Masters in Engineering but have been rejected since I do not have the full set of undergrad courses in any stream, so basically I would have to re-do the undergrad courses. This is an incredible waste of time, so likely I would only take maybe 3 undergrad courses to boost my resume/knowledge. I also have a fear that these courses will be too theoretical to help in any way. The only pro is that the undergrad courses would count as credits if I ever decided to get my Masters.
2) Taking college courses: more hands-on, practical, geared for design work, and also cheaper.
3) OSPE courses: the courses seem more practical but they also seem pretty pricey. Any taken these courses before?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.
2 replies
Jun 30, 2015
83 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
subwaybusker wrote: Hello all,

I went to school and got a B.Eng but it was never in any particular stream, just a mish-mash of all disciplines. Now that I have been out of school for two years, I am doing project management duties, which do not satisfy the required work experience for P.Eng. Finding a design job has been a very difficult task for me since most employers would quickly filter out any applicants who do not have the required engineering discipline background. However, I am pretty set on getting my P.Eng and want to take some courses in order to increase my chances of getting a design job. I believe I have three options for continuing education:
1) Taking university courses: I have tried to get back into my original university for Masters in Engineering but have been rejected since I do not have the full set of undergrad courses in any stream, so basically I would have to re-do the undergrad courses. This is an incredible waste of time, so likely I would only take maybe 3 undergrad courses to boost my resume/knowledge. I also have a fear that these courses will be too theoretical to help in any way. The only pro is that the undergrad courses would count as credits if I ever decided to get my Masters.
2) Taking college courses: more hands-on, practical, geared for design work, and also cheaper.
3) OSPE courses: the courses seem more practical but they also seem pretty pricey. Any taken these courses before?

Thank you.
Hm it sounds you want to be an engineer without engineering courses, you want to go an easy way=cheating?
did you hear for that bird that stills some other birds nest and throws her eggs out?

listen to me young man: go back to an accredited engineering university and study engineering, graduate and then look for engineering design position.
Good luck
Jan 27, 2012
44 posts
2 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
subwaybusker wrote: Hello all,

Thank you.
Hey Subway, did you get your BEng in Canada? I don't get how you are not accpeted to MEng in Canada if you have a BEng degree from Canada, it should be a no brainer. This sounds like a redflag to me that there is something going on with your BEng degree. What discipline is it?

Also, you don't need design experience to get PEng. You need to demonstrate "Application of Theory" and "Practice Experience" per the guidelines. Check on PEO website to get a better idea. You can satisfy these even with your PM duties as long as you apply your engineering principles.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)