Shopping Discussion

[Research report] A bargain or a technical problem? Pricing errors in Canada’s e-commerce

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2019 4:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1776 posts
1307 upvotes

[Research report] A bargain or a technical problem? Pricing errors in Canada’s e-commerce

Option consommateurs has compiled extensive data on online pricing errors across canada, various legal obligations, past cases and comparisons with other countries.

Press release in French only https://option-consommateurs.org/erreur ... -proteges/

English full report: https://option-consommateurs.org/wp-con ... glaise.pdf
7 replies
Member
Jun 23, 2016
228 posts
224 upvotes
Sudbury, ON
Does the report list any current errors? ;)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
13063 posts
13223 upvotes
Oakville
peli33 wrote: Option consommateurs has compiled extensive data on online pricing errors across canada, various legal obligations, past cases and comparisons with other countries.

Press release in French only https://option-consommateurs.org/erreur ... -proteges/

English full report: https://option-consommateurs.org/wp-con ... glaise.pdf
You're not going to summarize any interesting results for us?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1776 posts
1307 upvotes
engineered wrote: You're not going to summarize any interesting results for us?
You can google translate Press release if need be.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Feb 28, 2005
3131 posts
1172 upvotes
Montreal
tldr;

Québec offers consumers the best legal framework for price errors amongst provinces. Retailer can claim price was an error in all provinces, but they have to honour that price for Quebec residents.

Price errors are becoming more common.

Retailers are inserting all kinds of “illegal claims” in their TOS, such as “online deals aren’t contracts”, etc. which is all bs that will be typically inadmissible by a judge.
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1751 posts
491 upvotes
marc_t wrote: tldr;

Québec offers consumers the best legal framework for price errors amongst provinces. Retailer can claim price was an error in all provinces, but they have to honour that price for Quebec residents.

Price errors are becoming more common.

Retailers are inserting all kinds of “illegal claims” in their TOS, such as “online deals aren’t contracts”, etc. which is all bs that will be typically inadmissible by a judge.
But "typically inadmissible by a judge" means you're going ahead with a lawsuit. The purchase would have to be big enough for someone to go through with that route.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Feb 28, 2005
3131 posts
1172 upvotes
Montreal
indeed
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1776 posts
1307 upvotes
notfromqc wrote: But "typically inadmissible by a judge" means you're going ahead with a lawsuit. The purchase would have to be big enough for someone to go through with that route.
Doesn't have to be a lawsuit could be Small Claims. Also there is now an even lower intensity system (online) in some provinces to resolve small consumer merchants disputes:
There are a number of ODR platforms in North America, the EU and elsewhere, created or hosted by a combination of governments, not-for-profits and private companies (summarized in the chart at the end of this article).

In Canada, both BC and Quebec now have ODR for certain civil claims: BC’s Civil Resolution Tribunal (the CRT) now resolves disputes about contracts, debts, personal injury, personal property, and consumer issues under $5,000.00; Quebec’s Plateforme d'Aide au Règlement des Litiges en ligne (PARLe) is for resolution of “low intensity” disputes consumers and retailers.

...
ODR IS COMING SOON
Ontario has a well-known history of false starts with adopting new technologies. So it is easy to be skeptical that ODR is coming to Ontario soon. For example, Ontario recently proposed the online Administrative Monetary Penalty (AMP) system for infractions of provincial statutes and municipal by-laws, only to shelve the project soon after.

However, the rising ODR tide will probably float even Ontario’s justice system. Ontario will likely feel pressure to catch up with BC’s and Quebec’s adoption of ODR. The Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General (MAG) recently asked various civil justice stakeholders for submissions in respect of ODR for Ontario. MAG has not stated which type of claims an Ontario ODR regime would cover. If the claims include those which typically involve lawyers, such as condo disputes, Ontario lawyers will likely want to be involved in the design of the process.
https://www.oba.org/JUST/Archives_List/ ... Sample-(6)

Top