• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2021 7:26 pm
[OP]
Jul 18, 2017
5 posts
2 upvotes

Residential ethernet drops

Hey RFD.

I was wondering if anyone has hired or know anyone in the GTA/Durham region that do network drops.

I recently purchased a home and would like to run a few drops for devices and outside cameras. Emailing around and I am getting quotes of $250-$400 per drop.

So far I am looking at 11 Interior locations (19 cables terminated) and 4 exterior locations. Which would range from $3750 to $6000 total cost.

Want to see if anyone has any recommendations or hear your stories.

Thanks
9 replies
Nov 1, 2015
574 posts
260 upvotes
BC
Are you planning on going with cat5e or cat6? That would make a difference in cost since cat6 is usually 20-30% more.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6900 posts
3871 upvotes
Mississauga
Why wouldn’t you go with Cat6? You only want to run ethernet once; Do it right the first time.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11883 posts
3541 upvotes
Ontario
As mentioned in your other thread,
Check out https://www.kunsten.ca. They good good work.

Also +1 for Cat6 if you are running new lines no reason not to go with Cat6 for a slightly increase in price, the idea is to run the Ethernet and never run it again or at least no for 20-30 years hopefully so you will have a longer life with cat6 over the older Cat5e
Apr 19, 2014
194 posts
178 upvotes
Markham, ON
billxinli wrote: Hey RFD.

I was wondering if anyone has hired or know anyone in the GTA/Durham region that do network drops.

I recently purchased a home and would like to run a few drops for devices and outside cameras. Emailing around and I am getting quotes of $250-$400 per drop.

So far I am looking at 11 Interior locations (19 cables terminated) and 4 exterior locations. Which would range from $3750 to $6000 total cost.

Want to see if anyone has any recommendations or hear your stories.

Thanks
For that price, I would do it myself.
Just watch some videos on youtube, get some spackle, primer and paint to fix the drywall holes and you'll probably get it done yourself for under $500 including all the material.
This is what I'm planning to do myself.
Need to run a couple of cables form 2nd floor to basement.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3661 posts
858 upvotes
In todays world you should be running cat5e. Min now is cat6 even cat6a. The difference in cable costs are so low these days. But comeon even from companies I paid recently avera of $150-250 per drop. The person who quoted you was too high. Are you willing to learn you could do it yourself...
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3661 posts
858 upvotes
KapnK12 wrote: I used TECHSystem for my house about 2 years ago. Adrian did a great job. He should be able to give you a ballpark quote via email/phone.

http://www.techsystem.ca/contact_us.html
https://homestars.com/companies/2783513-techsystem
+1 OP for allowing me to discover this company. I looked at the work he did for others on their website. BEYOND amazing, he seems like a superstar.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5948 posts
356 upvotes
Vancouver
Any recommendations in the Vancouver area?
Sep 8, 2006
254 posts
51 upvotes
Narci wrote: Any recommendations in the Vancouver area?
+1
Also looking for recommendations for knowledgeable installers in the Vancouver area that won't break the bank.