Residential security camera installation questions

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2019 6:29 pm
[OP]
Sep 28, 2005
651 posts
27 upvotes

Residential security camera installation questions

I was looking for some advice or recommendations on getting some wired outdoor cameras installed.

I'm looking for 2 (possibly 3) cameras to be installed in the GTA. I can buy the cameras, wires and DVR or get it from whoever installs it. Mainly just looking for someone to run the wires properly. I want it to record to the DVR and also have it accessible through my phone (Android). I'm not sure if it matters, but I have a Ecobee thermostat and plan to get a SmartThings hub (or something similar). That's about it.

I also saw that Canada Computers will do installations, but I haven't been able to find any reviews or any one that has used them for that.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
128 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
357 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: I have an installer. Will send you a message
me too please
[OP]
Sep 28, 2005
651 posts
27 upvotes
Thanks. I'll look into them.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1661 upvotes
Me too please. Maybe we can do a group buy
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33810 posts
7452 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
aquariaguy wrote: Me too please. Maybe we can do a group buy
They're not a large company. They are actually a father and son team. Their main business is installing alarm systems and pulling ethernet cable. Security cameras are just a natural fit.

Sent you the info.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1661 upvotes
Gee wrote: They're not a large company. They are actually a father and son team. Their main business is installing alarm systems and pulling ethernet cable. Security cameras are just a natural fit.

Sent you the info.
Awesome thanks. I rather support a small family like that. Will give them a shout.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Jul 22, 2012
402 posts
46 upvotes
Maple
Gee can you send me their info also.

thanks in advance
Jul 22, 2012
402 posts
46 upvotes
Maple
Which cameras does anyone recommend. I was going to use rogers but cancelled the install decided against using them.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6795 posts
3085 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Gee wrote: They're not a large company. They are actually a father and son team. Their main business is installing alarm systems and pulling ethernet cable. Security cameras are just a natural fit.

Sent you the info.
Do they only install cams that home owner buys or sell camera security system as well?
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
[OP]
Sep 28, 2005
651 posts
27 upvotes
I contacted the company that Gee recommended as well as three other places. I can report back if anyones interested. Might give a call to Canada Computers tonight also.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33810 posts
7452 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
georvu wrote: Do they only install cams that home owner buys or sell camera security system as well?
They actually install and sell alarm systems. But cable is cable. They run a lot of Ethernet for commercial buildings and homes.

They can sell you security cameras and help assess what system would be ideal for your needs
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6795 posts
3085 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Gee wrote: They actually install and sell alarm systems. But cable is cable. They run a lot of Ethernet for commercial buildings and homes.

They can sell you security cameras and help assess what system would be ideal for your needs
Looking for something simple [2-4 cameras with nvr] and while initially thought to go wireless cams... now thinking POE cams.

Do they service west GTA?

What ballpark are we looking at cost wise [hundreds or start from thousands]? Do appreciate that cost will depend on system, cams so many options... just wanted to understand what we are looking at in terms of dollars.

Can PM if prefer.

Thanks!!
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33810 posts
7452 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
georvu wrote: Looking for something simple [2-4 cameras with nvr] and while initially thought to go wireless cams... now thinking POE cams.

Do they service west GTA?

What ballpark are we looking at cost wise [hundreds or start from thousands]? Do appreciate that cost will depend on system, cams so many options... just wanted to understand what we are looking at in terms of dollars.
I am sure they will service GTA West.

Don't go wireless. If you're already running power to the cameras, just go PoE and hardwire. Cost will depend on quality of cameras. I invested in a decent system and I was in the thousands. You're definitely looking at over $1000. A cheap system from Costco with 4 cameras and NVR is already $1000 with a lousy 2 terabyte hard drive. Then add a PoE switch and wiring. Most NVR units include a PoE switch so you can save a little there.

https://www.costco.ca/Lorex-8-channel-H ... 36771.html

I believe if you're going to make the investment, then do it right the first time. Plan where you will need cameras and save up for it. Typically I recommned

Front door
Drive Way (including front yard)
Inside Garage
Back Door
Back Yard
Between the houses

That alone is 7 - 8 cameras but it covers the entire perimeter of your house.

Since these cameras are out doors, make sure you have something that can survive our Canadian winters. If you go IP, don't get hung up on features and megapixels. 2 Megapixels are more than enough. If you get analog (TVI) make sure you get 1080p. There is nothing wrong with an analog system and it is cheaper too. I opted for analog and I have no complaints. There are definite advantages to IP (mainly software features, ability to log into individual cameras etc) but there are also down sides (latency, stuttering). Regardless of the system you choose, you can monitor your cameras from any internet connected device.

Decent cameras cost between $150 - $275 each.