• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2021 4:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1484 posts
214 upvotes

Resin outdoor light fixtures

I’m looking into replacing my outdoor light fixtures with something nicer, I’ve noticed some manufacturers have premium resin vs. the normal metal ones for a 20-30% premium. Is it worth it for an Ontario home? I understand for a coastal home it would make sense.

Previously I’ve only installed cheap $50 pieces from Lowe’s/Home Depot, so I expected them to rust and be replaced in 10 years. The ones I’m looking at are $450 in metal or $600 in resin.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8846 posts
3351 upvotes
Maple
Kenneth wrote: I’m looking into replacing my outdoor light fixtures with something nicer, I’ve noticed some manufacturers have premium resin vs. the normal metal ones for a 20-30% premium. Is it worth it for an Ontario home? I understand for a coastal home it would make sense.

Previously I’ve only installed cheap $50 pieces from Lowe’s/Home Depot, so I expected them to rust and be replaced in 10 years. The ones I’m looking at are $450 in metal or $600 in resin.
I rather buy the metal one (more popular and choices), replace when all rusted or sick of it (+10 years).
I hate to speculate. I hate to forecast. I am just proactive.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3093 posts
1374 upvotes
Mississauga
I need to change as well.. you got any pics.. wow.. $450 each ?? I need 6 and did not budget that much :(
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
1017 posts
1067 upvotes
If it's exposed to the elements (particularly UV), I don't think paying more means it will last significantly longer. At that price, it's an aesthetics choice... brand + looks...
But if you do come across something that will stand the test of time, i would definitely be interested lol.