Wheels and Tires

[RESOLVED] help me decide costco - C-Wheels - Steel, Alloy, and Replica Wheels

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2020 5:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54051 posts
18985 upvotes

[RESOLVED] help me decide costco - C-Wheels - Steel, Alloy, and Replica Wheels

Do steel rims really cost $60 a piece at Costco now?

Should I just opt for something else instead, like the $124.99. I was told by @[engineered] a few months ago that some of these rims will be more durable that those steelies but I think steelies easier to bend back in shape, if that's even acceptable lol.

https://www.c-wheels.ca/en/fitmentsearc ... model=Base

Or where else can I get winter tires mounted to rims at lower cost, including balancing.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Mar 4th, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
22 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
15083 posts
16036 upvotes
Oakville
alanbrenton wrote: Do steel rims really cost $60 a piece at Costco now?

Should I just opt for something else instead, like the $124.99. I was told by @engineered a few months ago that some of these rims will be more durable that those steelies but I think steelies easier to bend back in shape, if that's even acceptable lol.

https://www.c-wheels.ca/en/fitmentsearc ... model=Base

Or where else can I get winter tires mounted to rims at lower cost, including balancing.
Well yea, steelies will be easier to bend back to shape, but how many wheels do you bend a year? lol. I bent a steel rim when I was a kid, went home and hammered it back into shape with a sledge hammer. lol.
Alloys are lighter, stronger and don't rust. They also look much better.
I usually get my rims from tirerack.com but those prices look pretty good.

Don't forget to look at used rims on kijij or the junkyard.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 29, 2011
954 posts
332 upvotes
Milton
I debated this myself, but went with steelies because if I did need to replace one, aside from the added $50-60 per rim for alloys, I didn't want a given alloy rim to no longer being in production. It would piss me off a thousand times more to have one odd-out rim then to have all steelies.

A car is difficult to keep clean in the winter anyway, I wash my car at least once a week and even with generally good weather within a couple days it's dirty again. Mud and wet roads take long to dry, or there's always that one road that is somehow still filthy and you can't avoid.

As much as alloy rims may look nicer, the vast majority of other people just won't care, certainly no where near as much as you do. So really, just get what you're fine with in terms of looks, function, cost.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
13539 posts
8498 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
can always go for used stylish alloy rims for cheap on kijiji or fb marketplace.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
15083 posts
16036 upvotes
Oakville
evosero wrote: I debated this myself, but went with steelies because if I did need to replace one, aside from the added $50-60 per rim for alloys, I didn't want a given alloy rim to no longer being in production. It would piss me off a thousand times more to have one odd-out rim then to have all steelies.

A car is difficult to keep clean in the winter anyway, I wash my car at least once a week and even with generally good weather within a couple days it's dirty again. Mud and wet roads take long to dry, or there's always that one road that is somehow still filthy and you can't avoid.

As much as alloy rims may look nicer, the vast majority of other people just won't care, certainly no where near as much as you do. So really, just get what you're fine with in terms of looks, function, cost.
Having had steelies in the past, I found that they didn't stay balanced as well. But the main reason is that they will eventually rust away.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 29, 2011
954 posts
332 upvotes
Milton
engineered wrote: Having had steelies in the past, I found that they didn't stay balanced as well. But the main reason is that they will eventually rust away.
That can be hit and miss. On my prior cars I had virtually no rust over about 7-8 years each, but on my wife's current car she had rust within 3-4 years. (On my current car the rims are brand new.)

So for hers when I'm swapping them out in the spring, if the rust has become more noticeable I just take a wire brush to them, clean them off, then use some rust converter and a coat of black paint, then repeat a couple years later to clean them up.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54051 posts
18985 upvotes
Costco does mount Costco-bought tires on rims (bought from Costco or not) for a nominal fee, right? I emailed C Wheel if they actually ship to Costco locations (I think they do but just to play safe).

My friend's tires are 17" (F-sport package) and because she has one y.o. Blizzaks, I might as well buy steel rims for now and then switch to 16" tires/rims eventually if the car lasts that long.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54051 posts
18985 upvotes
After reading some older threads, I may go with Konig.

Starts around $105 USD on discount tire but almost $200 here in Canada from my brief research.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6059 posts
2528 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
If getting steelies get oem from dealership at beginning of winter season when that have promo on them... usually about $20 more then costco... but unless someone corrects these will be better quality then Costco steelies.

About 4-5 years got the C-wheels replicas from Costco... did not know much about rims back then [still don't!! :)] so just got the cheapest ones as don't really care about esthetics... this is going on vehicle that will be driven thru snow, dirty water, etc.

Anyways when went to switch over to all seasons the local garage mechanic mentioned how the replicas we got did not look sturdy [too much open space and stress areas with little support] and that see them often cracked.

YET, several years later and no issues with C-wheels.

Another option if can wait is discount tire when they have promos [usually around several holidays throughout year] with purchase of 4.
.......
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54051 posts
18985 upvotes
georvu wrote: If getting steelies get oem from dealership at beginning of winter season when that have promo on them... usually about $20 more then costco... but unless someone corrects these will be better quality then Costco steelies.

About 4-5 years got the C-wheels replicas from Costco... did not know much about rims back then [still don't!! :)] so just got the cheapest ones as don't really care about esthetics... this is going on vehicle that will be driven thru snow, dirty water, etc.

Anyways when went to switch over to all seasons the local garage mechanic mentioned how the replicas we got did not look sturdy [too much open space and stress areas with little support] and that see them often cracked.

YET, several years later and no issues with C-wheels.

Another option if can wait is discount tire when they have promos [usually around several holidays throughout year] with purchase of 4.
Discount Tire here in the GTA and not that discount tire direct in AZ, correct?

Mulling on that Enkei J10 which is priced about the same at Green Leaf Tire.

Friend swapped tires every season and didn't get separate rims. Right now, car is on winters and I will have to pay $60 at least to move the rims over to the all seasons. I think the stock wheels already have TPMS sensors (still working fine) which I think is better to have on winter tires just in case the car gets stuck and I have to turn Traction Control off.

Decision decision :(
Member
User avatar
Oct 9, 2005
488 posts
71 upvotes
Thornhill
+1 for Fast FC04, I also have a set. Flow formed, relatively cheap and can be bought easily in the GTA...looks are subjective.

As a bonus to OP, I also happen to have a set of Flow formed Konigs. Konigs are not very common in wheel shops in the GTA for some reason and even if they carry them selection might be very limited. I had to special order mine through Jspec Performance in Scarborough for a very specific set in a very specific color and it took 3 weeks to arrive.

Are these summer or winter wheels? Konigs are pretty expensive for winter wheels in my opinion.
Hi
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54051 posts
18985 upvotes
xeoreg wrote: +1 for Fast FC04, I also have a set. Flow formed, relatively cheap and can be bought easily in the GTA...looks are subjective.

As a bonus to OP, I also happen to have a set of Flow formed Konigs. Konigs are not very common in wheel shops in the GTA for some reason and even if they carry them selection might be very limited. I had to special order mine through Jspec Performance in Scarborough for a very specific set in a very specific color and it took 3 weeks to arrive.

Are these summer or winter wheels? Konigs are pretty expensive for winter wheels in my opinion.
Good to know about Fast Wheels. I had perused other RFD wheel discussions and among the cheaper brands, I only saw Enkei and Konig mentioned.

The original 17" wheels currently have the winter tires. And I think it makes sense to just keep it paired that way since it makes more sense for the TMPS sensors to be included in the winter set if I have to turn off traction control when stuck in snow.

So this wheel set I'm looking to purchase will most likely go with the Bridgestone Ecopia All Season tires. I think I have to pay $60 at least to swap tires so might as get a lighter alloy set.

I looked on tirerack and the Enkei J10 weighs 18.5 lb. but these are close enough:
https://www.fastwheels.ca/productinfo.a ... bp=5x10017"

17"x7" 5x100 PCD for the CT200h kinda limits choices.

Top