Computers & Electronics

(RESOLVED) I used to have Bell Fibe25 and cancelled. If I get Bell Fibe150 + altTV, can I do a self-install?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2020 8:21 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16786 posts
3101 upvotes
Toronto

(RESOLVED) I used to have Bell Fibe25 and cancelled. If I get Bell Fibe150 + altTV, can I do a self-install?

I got Rogers Ignite 500 with Ignite TV in February and started getting random disconnects from mid-March to now. Rogers sent out techs on 6 different occasions and swapped the modem 3 times. The modem was last changed on July 6 and everything was fine until Tuesday when the random disconnects started again. The disconnects range from a few seconds to a few minutes at a time; however, this disconnect /reconnect pattern can go on for hours. It can happen on any day at any time. This never happened when I was on Rogers 500u with their white CODA modem and they will not allow me to go back to using the CODA.

I used to have Fibe25 before switching to Rogers. If I sign up for Fibe150 and altTV, can I do a self-install or does a tech have to come inside?

Bell want's $59.95 for installation so I assume the tech has to do the installation.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by audit13 on Jul 31st, 2020 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5815 posts
2946 upvotes
Mississauga
Isn't Fibe150 FTTH and Fibe25 copper? Could be that the tech needs to run and terminate the fiber connection, hence the installation charge?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16786 posts
3101 upvotes
Toronto
I was looking at Fibe50 as well. Not sure if that still needs a tech visit.

Edit: Spoke with an agent via chat and a tech visit is required since it will be FTTH.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5815 posts
2946 upvotes
Mississauga
I have Fibe50 and it’s all copper. But I guess Bell sells such a tier in its FTTH service as well.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11685 posts
6277 upvotes
Brampton
I believe even Fibe150 is FTTN and last mile(meters) is copper but it's using a CAT5e so it can do a higher data rate than POTS.

Fibe25/50 are definitely Copper ( I have it 25 right now)

Whither an installer needs to come in depends on if your Demarc on the side of your house was disconnected when you removed telephone service/DSL (or if wiring from your demarc to your modem is working). If that wiring is intact they just "reconnect" you at the box on the curb. Most of the time tho they will just test your signal at the demarc and just mark the service active if the signal is good.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16786 posts
3101 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: I have Fibe50 and it’s all copper. But I guess Bell sells such a tier in its FTTH service as well.
tebore wrote: I believe even Fibe150 is FTTN and last mile(meters) is copper but it's using a CAT5e so it can do a higher data rate than POTS.

Fibe25/50 are definitely Copper ( I have it 25 right now)

Whither an installer needs to come in depends on if your Demarc on the side of your house was disconnected when you removed telephone service/DSL (or if wiring from your demarc to your modem is working). If that wiring is intact they just "reconnect" you at the box on the curb. Most of the time tho they will just test your signal at the demarc and just mark the service active if the signal is good.
Thanks for the information.

What's your average download and upload speed?

I went with the Fibe50 package which offers 50 up and 50 down. I assume this would be FTTH rather than FTTN? If it's consistently around 50D/50U, I'll move to a higher speed if I can't do everything I need to do on Fibe50.

I have Rogers service until August 21 just in case Bell is not stable.
Sep 3, 2018
292 posts
160 upvotes
audit13 wrote: Thanks for the information.

I went with the Fibe50 package which offers 50 up and 50 down. I assume this would be FTTH rather than FTTN? If it's consistently around 50D/50U, I'll move to a higher speed if I can't do everything I need to do on Fibe50.

If you have 50/50 Down/up you have FTTH
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11685 posts
6277 upvotes
Brampton
audit13 wrote: Thanks for the information.

50/50 Should be actual FTTH.

Bell has mixed deployments of FTTN FTTH where FTTN would be vDSL or vDSL2. They sold overlapping services with the same name Fibe25/50/100/150 but the upload rate was sync with FTTH.

I have 25/10 vDSL
I get more than that on most speed tests and very low ping and very good Ping jitter compared to my main Rogers line.

I have both running because Rogers has been a complete shitshow during the Pandemic. I needed something to get work done during the day.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16786 posts
3101 upvotes
Toronto
lensbuyer wrote: If you have 50/50 Down/up you have FTTH
Thanks.

The service is being installed tomorrow. My chat transcript says the following:

Bell Fibe 50:
Up to 50 Mbps download speed and up to 50 Mbps upload speed.
Unlimited bandwidth per month.
Wireless router modem included.
McAfee antivirus included.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16786 posts
3101 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: 50/50 Should be actual FTTH.

Bell has mixed deployments of FTTN FTTH where FTTN would be vDSL or vDSL2. They sold overlapping services with the same name Fibe25/50/100/150 but the upload rate was sync with FTTH.

I have 25/10 vDSL
I get more than that on most speed tests and very low ping and very good Ping jitter compared to my main Rogers line.

I have both running because Rogers has been a complete shitshow during the Pandemic. I needed something to get work done during the day.
Thank for the additional information. I used to have Fibe 15 years ago and upload was much slower than download; however, the Bell service was reliable and consistently speedy.

I was very happy with Rogers stability and speed until I changed my Rogers 500u service to Ignite 500.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5815 posts
2946 upvotes
Mississauga
Be happy you have FTTH as it gives you so many options going forward. I'm stuck on copper for the foreseeable future...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16786 posts
3101 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: Be happy you have FTTH as it gives you so many options going forward. I'm stuck on copper for the foreseeable future...
Thanks.

I'll be much happier when I have consistent service.

I like the idea of running an app on my streaming devices to watch Alt TV as well.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11685 posts
6277 upvotes
Brampton
audit13 wrote: Thank for the additional information. I used to have Fibe 15 years ago and upload was much slower than download; however, the Bell service was reliable and consistently speedy.

I was very happy with Rogers stability and speed until I changed my Rogers 500u service to Ignite 500.
I could be wrong but 500u and Ignite is literally the same (on the internet side) the modem change should have been better if anything. The 4582 CODA modem isn't great.
What you're seeing is likely related to traffic congestion from everyone working from home. It's choking your local node. Rogers had a list of fibre upgrades that got prioritized due to issues like this exacerbated by covid. But due to covid the workforce got cut back.

I wish they both would do FTTH in my neighborhood as it should be easy as each house has Conduit for both to their nodes. Each already has coax and CAT5e pulled In them.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16786 posts
3101 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: I could be wrong but 500u and Ignite is literally the same (on the internet side) the modem change should have been better if anything. The 4582 CODA modem isn't great.
What you're seeing is likely related to traffic congestion from everyone working from home. It's choking your local node. Rogers had a list of fibre upgrades that got prioritized due to issues like this exacerbated by covid. But due to covid the workforce got cut back.

I wish they both would do FTTH in my neighborhood as it should be easy as each house has Conduit for both to their nodes. Each already has coax and CAT5e pulled In them.
I agree that Ignite 500 and 500u are the same as my moving to Ignite only required a modem swap.

One of the techs on the phone made a passing comment that the XB6 modem has been a problem. I can attest to that statement after having gone through three Ignite modem.

I was told that I cannot go back to using my CODA modem because it doesn't support Ignite TV. I told the tech I use my own router and have not used the CODA as a router but she said it cannot be done while I have Ignite TV.

If it was a matter of congestion, I don't understand why everything would work perfectly from July 6 to July 28 with no signs of slowdowns or disconnects.

The Bell tech is on his way and I'm looking to consistently but slower download speeds.

Edit: Bell tech is here and is doing a FTTH install.