Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
10159 posts
3164 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC

RESOLVED: "IP address could not be found"

I am baffled. I'm hoping someone here who knows a lot more than me (or even a little more than me) can figure this out.

I have various internet connected devices, listed below.

A couple of days ago, I was using both my personal desktop computer using Windows 7 and my working-from-home laptop using Windows 10. I took a break from the laptop and used the desktop to go to Google.ca as I had done earlier. It gave me an error. The error is,

This site can't be reached
www.google.ca's server IP address could not be found.

Try:

- Checking the proxy, firewall and DNS configuration
- Running Windows Network Diagnostics

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG

I had been using the computer for browsing a few minutes earlier and had not reset the computer.

The screen showed "Currently connected to: Network Internet Access".

I ran the Windows Network Diagnostics.

It did its thing and didn't resolve the problem. It returned a message,

Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)

I unplugged my modem, router and ethernet switch box, waited, and power them up again in that order, waiting for each to be functional before plugging in the next element.

I turned the desktop. It showed ""Currently connected to: Network Internet Access". I still had no internet.

I thought maybe it was a hardware problem in the Windows computer.

I got out a Mac Mini and connected it to the same Ethernet cable. I had been using it a few days previously.

It gave no internet. I figured it might be a wiring problem with the Ethernet cable.

I disconnected the Mac Mini and ran it on wifi. It gave no internet.

Then I realized that I was still listening to internet streaming music on my Sonos speaker.

I checked my iPads and they were both working on the wifi.

I plugged in a laptop to the same Ethernet cable and it works fine.

The Windows 7 desktop prints to my wifi networked printer in another room.

My Amazon Echo devices all work.

My Sonos speakers in three rooms all work.

Only the Windows 7 desktop and the Mac Mini connect to the LAN, but don't connect to the internet.

Here is my setup:

ISP: VMedia Cable 75 (speedtest at 75 down/10 up)

Modem: Huawei MT130U
Router: Netgear WNDR3700
Switch: Netgear GS108E

Desktop: Windows 7 (works with Ethernet LAN; no internet)

Laptop: Windows 10 (works with Ethernet LAN and internet; works with Wifi LAN and internet; works with wifi LAN)

Mac: Mac Mini (works with Ethernet LAN; no internet)

Networked Printer: HP Officejet 7500 E910 (works with Ethernet LAN)

NAS: QNAP TS-451+: (works with wifi LAN and internet - tested using Plex)

NAS: QNAP TS251A: (works with wifi LAN and internet tested using Plex)

Various Amazon Echo devices: all work with wifi

Sonos 1: works with wifi

Sonos 5: works with wifi

Sonos Connect: works with wifi

August Smart Lock: works with wifi

I'm stumped.
Last edited by MexiCanuck on Apr 13th, 2020 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
3 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10020 posts
877 upvotes
Toronto
check your router, the default device ip address assigments / lease is 10 computers / devices. was the network / internet working fine for you were working from home 2 weeks ago?

was the work laptop the last internet connected?

try powering down all the sonos devices and just test laptop and desktop. rest router and internet / modem too.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4573 posts
4629 upvotes
Vancouver
It's complaining that your DNS is not responding. Check your DNS settings for the desktop (under connection properties, TCP/IP). Make sure you aren't using a VPN, which may have its own DNS. Also be aware Google Chrome runs its own DNS cache (bad Google!), which can sometimes screw up your expectations, but it should know enough to check the system DNS if the cached IP address isn't working.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
10159 posts
3164 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Scote64 wrote: It's complaining that your DNS is not responding. Check your DNS settings for the desktop (under connection properties, TCP/IP). Make sure you aren't using a VPN, which may have its own DNS. Also be aware Google Chrome runs its own DNS cache (bad Google!), which can sometimes screw up your expectations, but it should know enough to check the system DNS if the cached IP address isn't working.
Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it.

I went onto the Windows 7 machine and located the DNS settings. It was set to a static DNS server. I guess I should have written down the number, but I didn't.

I changed the setting to Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically.

Everything is working fine now on the Windows 7 machine. Tomorrow I will look at the Mac Mini.

I recall several years ago setting a static DNS server. I don't recall why. I wonder whether something changed with that service.

Again, thank you for help that was both prompt and accurate.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg