Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 18, 2005
495 posts
21 upvotes
Courtice

Resort Fees/Credit Card Charge issue

I recently went to Vegas. I was aware of resort fees they charge. When I arrived at check-in for my pre-paid stay via travel agency I was only prompted to sign my CC for the 50 dollar incidental fee. That was it.

Throughout my stay I only purchased internet twice as it was 14 dollars for 24 hours. Internet is included in resort fees. I believed I was not to be paying resort fees as I was not informed by the front desk about them or what they included.

Upon check-out I was asked to sign for the CC again which now included the 196 USD resort fees. Without thinking I signed it and thought to myself "Aw schucks guess I am being charged resort fees".

Now looking back it feels pretty scummy. I was unaware of what the resort fees included in order to use them maximally. This caused me to minimize my internet usage as I did not want to pay the 14 dollars a day if my usage for that day was going to be minute.

It has been just shy of 2 weeks since I have returned. Do I have any recourse on this with the CC company? Anything I can do?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2014
1505 posts
560 upvotes
YVR, BC
Trix77 wrote: I recently went to Vegas. I was aware of resort fees they charge. When I arrived at check-in for my pre-paid stay via travel agency I was only prompted to sign my CC for the 50 dollar incidental fee. That was it.

Throughout my stay I only purchased internet twice as it was 14 dollars for 24 hours. Internet is included in resort fees. I believed I was not to be paying resort fees as I was not informed by the front desk about them or what they included.

Upon check-out I was asked to sign for the CC again which now included the 196 USD resort fees. Without thinking I signed it and thought to myself "Aw schucks guess I am being charged resort fees".

Now looking back it feels pretty scummy. I was unaware of what the resort fees included in order to use them maximally. This caused me to minimize my internet usage as I did not want to pay the 14 dollars a day if my usage for that day was going to be minute.

It has been just shy of 2 weeks since I have returned. Do I have any recourse on this with the CC company? Anything I can do?
ask them for a chargeback and when they ask why copy and paste above.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8029 posts
2357 upvotes
Toronto
You signed it, the resort can used it as I proof you agree with the resort fee. I doubt the cc company with side with you in the dispute. If you go back to the resort and show them your pre-paid stay then they might reversed it.
[OP]
Jun 18, 2005
495 posts
21 upvotes
Courtice
Thats what I was thinking. My side is just anecdotal evidence whereas they have a signature.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38190 posts
24381 upvotes
Center of Universe
You thought you were not going to be charged resort fees?
It would have been different if they told you there was no extra charges for resort fees.
[OP]
Jun 18, 2005
495 posts
21 upvotes
Courtice
They never informed me about them when I arrived. Every other stay I have had in Vegas I have never been charged resort fees. This caused me to pay for a product that I was not able to utilize to the maximum because I was unaware.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38190 posts
24381 upvotes
Center of Universe
Trix77 wrote: They never informed me about them when I arrived. Every other stay I have had in Vegas I have never been charged resort fees. This caused me to pay for a product that I was not able to utilize to the maximum because I was unaware.
But it's on their website in plain site.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4489 posts
3399 upvotes
Edmonton
Trix77 wrote: They never informed me about them when I arrived. Every other stay I have had in Vegas I have never been charged resort fees. This caused me to pay for a product that I was not able to utilize to the maximum because I was unaware.
You must not have been in Vegas previous to this for some time. Every "resort" charges these fees. I just returned from Vegas (major hotel) but did not stay at a "resort" so no "resort" fees. You signed for the fees. What is there to dispute? You state in your second sentence: "I was aware of resort fees they charge." The fact that you did not make use of what was included is not going to be a reason for negating the charges.
Jul 18, 2015
273 posts
91 upvotes
Petawawa, ON
Agreed, I've stayed in Vegas a few times and they charge you every time for staying there, thats NOT included in the booking price.
You usually get told when you first check in at the front desk etc.

I doubt that the CC company will reverse the charge. It is common practice in Vegas.
Let us know what they say if you do call them!
[OP]
Jun 18, 2005
495 posts
21 upvotes
Courtice
starchoice wrote: You must not have been in Vegas previous to this for some time. Every "resort" charges these fees. I just returned from Vegas (major hotel) but did not stay at a "resort" so no "resort" fees. You signed for the fees. What is there to dispute? You state in your second sentence: "I was aware of resort fees they charge." The fact that you did not make use of what was included is not going to be a reason for negating the charges.
I had not be in a year and 5 months. The past 4 times I never paid resort fees even though they were always listed. You are correct I was aware they had resort fees. When I wasn't charged at the beginning I figured it was going to be like every other time I had stayed where I was not charged. Seems like a shady practice for the hotel to do this and not inform patrons of what the resort fees entail. Literally bilking customers without providing them information on the services they have to pay for.