Travel

Resorts that offer free quarantine stay if you test Covid positive.

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2021 8:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
2812 posts
1456 upvotes
Mississauga

Resorts that offer free quarantine stay if you test Covid positive.

We just returned from DR (Punta Cana) and stayed at resort that offer free quarantine stay, up to 14 days at resort include food, if you test Covid positive. I know that AMR chain in DR that include Breathless, Couples, Onex Dreams and sone others offer such freebie.
I'm curious if somebody aware about same thing at other Caribbean/Central American destinations....
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" George Orwell
12 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
2812 posts
1456 upvotes
Mississauga
GangStarr wrote: Not sure where you are referring to in Central America as I’m not a resort guy and I don’t think many places have resorts but just a general comment

If your test positive why not move into a modest hotel that is potentially cheaper and closer to a major hospital in a bigger city. You have to isolate anyways. Order food in many counties have uber eats type service (rappi is popular). You can’t enjoy pools or beaches so may as well. Be closer to the hospital or airport?

Just tossing it out there. If your can afford a chain hotel the Marriotts usually have a 24-48 cancellation. Policy for full refund could lock in a lower rate for 14 days after your flight out. Get tested and cancel based on results.
I'm mostly talking abour Caribbeans ... by Central America, I meant Mexico (even geografically it's NA), Roatan (Honduras), Panama, Costa Rica etc. If I can stay for free quarantine at 5 stars resort, why should I bother with "modest hotel " and Uber eats?!
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" George Orwell
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
9949 posts
3068 upvotes
gibor365365 wrote: I'm mostly talking abour Caribbeans ... by Central America, I meant Mexico (even geografically it's NA), Roatan (Honduras), Panama, Costa Rica etc. If I can stay for free quarantine at 5 stars resort, why should I bother with "modest hotel " and Uber eats?!
Because nothing is free in this world and you’re likely limiting your selection.

It was a tip. Next time I won’t post. Enjoy your amazing international experience at a swim up bar
Also closer to hospital and airport
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
2187 posts
2202 upvotes
Toronto, ON
In cuba resorts you are taken to an international hotel in the city which is free of charge
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 9, 2003
19226 posts
3447 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
GangStarr wrote: Not sure where you are referring to in Central America as I’m not a resort guy and I don’t think many places have resorts but just a general comment

If your test positive why not move into a modest hotel that is potentially cheaper and closer to a major hospital in a bigger city. You have to isolate anyways. Order food in many counties have uber eats type service (rappi is popular). You can’t enjoy pools or beaches so may as well. Be closer to the hospital or airport?

Just tossing it out there. If your can afford a chain hotel the Marriotts usually have a 24-48 cancellation. Policy for full refund could lock in a lower rate for 14 days after your flight out. Get tested and cancel based on results.
Because that's a lot more hassle (to find a place and move your luggage while COVID positive) and a lot more money (even a cheaper hotel and food could easily cost 2k for a 14 day stay). Being closer to the airport and hospital is a benefit, but not really worth moving especially since vaccinated infections aren't likely to be serious.

Mainly, if a hotel has to cover your stay, then have an incentive to falsify your test results, so that's a good thing.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 6, 2010
9910 posts
1856 upvotes
Montreal, QC
GangStarr wrote: Not sure where you are referring to in Central America as I’m not a resort guy and I don’t think many places have resorts but just a general comment

If your test positive why not move into a modest hotel that is potentially cheaper and closer to a major hospital in a bigger city. You have to isolate anyways. Order food in many counties have uber eats type service (rappi is popular). You can’t enjoy pools or beaches so may as well. Be closer to the hospital or airport?

Just tossing it out there. If your can afford a chain hotel the Marriotts usually have a 24-48 cancellation. Policy for full refund could lock in a lower rate for 14 days after your flight out. Get tested and cancel based on results.
Note that OP is referring to after your stay at [insert resort name here] has ended and you test positive before coming back to Canada. You’re already on-site at the resort and you’ve tested positive for your pre-departure 72h PCR to head back home.

In that case, finding another hotel in town and booking it on short notice let alone moving yourself when positive is a lot of hassle and potential risk vs just going back up to the room that’s been housing you for the past 1-2 weeks.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9719 posts
7416 upvotes
Kootenays
I wouldn't be surprised if this shows up in the Hot Deals forum...pay for 1 week, stay for 3!Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
9949 posts
3068 upvotes
Ok I deleted my post. Op didn’t stay where in Central America and I don’t do d bag resorts.

I’ll stay out of you sophisticated world traveler's who like junk buffet food, bus transfers and pre arranged bus tours.

I also mentioned booking refundable hotels. Keep wearing your wrist bands when you get home so cool.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 9, 2003
19226 posts
3447 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
GangStarr wrote: Ok I deleted my post. Op didn’t stay where in Central America and I don’t do d bag resorts.

I’ll stay out of you sophisticated world traveler's who like junk buffet food, bus transfers and pre arranged bus tours.

I also mentioned booking refundable hotels. Keep wearing your wrist bands when you get home so cool.
No need to look down on people who travel differently than you. I don't really like all-ins either, but I can certainly understand why many people do.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2680 posts
1920 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Sandals/Beaches
Excellence Resorts
Paradisus / Melia Resorts (excluding Cuba)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
2812 posts
1456 upvotes
Mississauga
BrunetteGirl wrote: Sandals/Beaches
Excellence Resorts
Paradisus / Melia Resorts (excluding Cuba)
Those you listed are for all Caribbean’s? Was thinking to go St Lucia, Antigua, Turks and Caicos.
AI is just a different type of vacations, obviously for Europe i wouldn’t do it.
At Cuba, I’ve heard, they take you to special hotel and you pay for it...
Another good thing (as was mentioned) of resort has free quarantine policy at properties, most likely they will make sure your test is negative. This is what happens at Breathless, we were told that positives are very rare, and it’s cannot be true considering what is going on on the “party” resort
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" George Orwell
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
9949 posts
3068 upvotes
gibor365365 wrote: Those you listed are for all Caribbean’s? Was thinking to go St Lucia, Antigua, Turks and Caicos.
AI is just a different type of vacations, obviously for Europe i wouldn’t do it.
At Cuba, I’ve heard, they take you to special hotel and you pay for it...
Another good thing (as was mentioned) of resort has free quarantine policy at properties, most likely they will make sure your test is negative. This is what happens at Breathless, we were told that positives are very rare, and it’s cannot be true considering what is going on on the “party” resort
Real responsible hoping for fraud results.
Autocorrect sucks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2015
2812 posts
1456 upvotes
Mississauga
GangStarr wrote: Real responsible hoping for fraud results.
I hope for negative results, and generaly speaking Omicron is milder than even mild flu... just bogus. And if somebody really "responsible", he/she should listen to government advisory and not to travel :)
btw, I've read many times about "false positive" in Jamaica where you should pay big $$$ for your quarantine stay.
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others" George Orwell

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)