Investing

RESP: Wealthsimple Robo Advisor vs Questrade

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2021 12:03 am

Poll: RESP provider

• Total votes: 11. You have voted on this poll.
Wealthsimple Robo Advisor

45%
Questrade (VGRO, XGRO etc)

45%
Other (Please leave a comments)

9%

Poll ended at Apr 19th, 2021 10:30 pm

Apr 30, 2015
169 posts
54 upvotes

RESP: Wealthsimple Robo Advisor vs Questrade

Hello everyone,

We want to transfer RESP (Mutual Funds) to the different financial Institution. Don’t want to pay high $1.89 MER anymore. Any suggestions WS vs QT ?

Thank you everyone!
Last edited by kleraj on Apr 12th, 2021 11:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6582 posts
9091 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
Without knowing you specifically, no-one should decide for you which is more appropriate.

For instance what province do you live in? Questrade doesn't support all provincial grants. Wealthsimple would support most.

Wealthsimple buys the ETFs for you which costs money, so Questrade might save you money. But then again, you might not be comfortable doing so, so that cost might be worth it.

See where this get's complicated? You won't get an appropriate answer with this poll. Also $1.89?
Support your local Credit Union!

RRSP where you can deposit with a Credit Card, earn rewards investing!
RFD Saskatchewan Pension Plan
Apr 30, 2015
169 posts
54 upvotes
I am in BC. Thank you for the answer. I am OK to buy ETFs by myself, asking because I’ve heard a lot of positive about Wealthsimple Robo Invest platform. Thank you again!
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6582 posts
9091 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
kleraj wrote: I am in BC. Thank you for the answer. I am OK to buy ETFs by myself, asking because I’ve heard a lot of positive about Wealthsimple Robo Invest platform. Thank you again!
Living in BC means if you went with Questrade, you won't be able to claim BCTESG which is $1200.
bctesg-resp-self-directed-investment-accounts-2072699/

Even though Virtual Brokers charges $25 a year for RESPs, the fee savings and eligibility of $1200 can make it worthwhile, while still giving free ETF purchases.

QTrade is technically free for RESPs, but there is a quarterly $25 fee if your total assets are under $25k, so I would only go with them if you can transfer other accounts to make it over $25k, but they are eligible for BCTESG. But keep in mind, your ETF purchase list is limited, and not any ETF you want, however XGRO is available.
https://www.qtrade.ca/en/investor/prici ... -etfs.html
Support your local Credit Union!

RRSP where you can deposit with a Credit Card, earn rewards investing!
RFD Saskatchewan Pension Plan
Apr 30, 2015
169 posts
54 upvotes
BCTESG is one time 1200 payment and we got it with current RESP provider last year. Thank you for the information! I will read about QTrade and Virtual Brokers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)