• Jul 10th, 2020 8:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 8, 2008
10 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga

Respiratory Therapist

I just got accepted to Michener Institute's 3-yr Respiratory Therapy program and I have until July 12 to respond. I am currently working full-time in a completely different field. There is not a lot of information online. Does anyone know what the job prospects and pay is like or if there is any advice you can provide? Thanks
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1810 posts
1831 upvotes
How did you get accepted if you are working in a completely different field? What’s your education?
[OP]
Sep 8, 2008
10 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
First degree at utsc life sci. Second degree is mechanical engineering at Ryerson. Currently working but considering changing career paths again.
Jun 29, 2020
2 posts
1 upvote
Newfoundland
I did some time with RT's in the hospital during my paramedic school clinicals. I can't speak to your local area, but in my neck of the woods it's difficult to get a full time job. You have to wiggle your way into the field and then work as a casual for months/years until you can qualify for something permanent.

It seems really rewarding, though. A lot of the time, your treatments have almost immediate results. You get to watch patients come back from the brink right before your very eyes before you run off to the next pager call. By the end of my shifts I was honestly thinking about making the switch to RT, until I had to help them draw blood from an artery in someones wrist, to check their arterial blood gasses. I want to die just thinking about it.
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
767 upvotes
If pandemics become more frequent this could become the in-demand career of the future.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2019
1145 posts
1880 upvotes
Canada
OP respiratory therapist career is a good choice, if you want to switch.
1) coronavirus: some who had breathing problems and recovered are still having breathing problems. Those who are children or in their twenties will need your services for many years, if you choose to change
2) tobacco & marijuana smokers: 20s up to retirees who have respiratory illness due to tobacco or cannabis smoke use respiratory therapists a lot
3) EVALI: vaping linked respiratory illnesses that were all over the media before COVID affected some in their 20s who are not showing good recovery and will need respiratory therapy for years
4) recent US CDC report states increased COVID symptoms for people who smoke and vape, exclusive of age (youth impacted equally)
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... r-BB13VkK0
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3222 posts
997 upvotes
Toronto
RT is the 2nd largest program at Michener. The amount they admit is based on job demand and how many of their grads will get hired. So the job prospects are pretty good.
The pay starts at low to mid 30s, up to mid 40s. You will also be eligible to apply for cardiovascular perfusion program later on if you don't feel like doing RT anymore.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5992 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5072 posts
3251 upvotes
The scary thing with Covid is people are reporting they aren't 100% after recovering from Covid. Lungs scarred or damaged, short of breath.

On top of that, don't forget pollution, climate change, and all the problems we had before Covid.

You'll be fine :)

Seems like a great career to make a positive impact on society!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2507 posts
3849 upvotes
West
RTs are certainly in demand, though with any health authority-type job, you usually just have to get your foot in the door somewhere/anywhere, and then internally transfer to your dream place of work later. Unions = seniority is everything, so you'll have to do your time at the bottom of the barrel, though this can be said for many jobs.

Pay is reasonable - you'll get decent job security, vacation, sick days, pension, benefits, etc. to boot as well. The only downside is there is rarely any advancement opportunity - you are pretty much a specialized technician in an ER/ICU-like hospital setting. The only raises you'll get are to account for inflation and years of experience. There are no real "promotions".

All things considered, it's a great job to have!
[OP]
Sep 8, 2008
10 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for the responses so far. Still have a couple of days to decide and I'm on the edge right now. Just a little more context.. I'm earning about 60k before taxes. Do you think I'll be able to make this much after graduating?