• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2020 1:15 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 12, 2016
252 posts
54 upvotes

Ressistance bands vs free weights?

Does anyone exercise using resistance bands at home? I have taken to it recently because i got frustrated waiting around for gyms to open, they finally opened gyms in Toronto in August but have shut them down again because of the rising number of cases, my prediction is that the gyms will remain shut till the end of the Winter i.e. May 2021 because this virus is most effective during the cooler weathers.

Surprisingly i have found the Resistance bands to be pretty decent, the only exercises i have not been able to do are the legs i.e. leg extensions, leg press machines and will have to find a creative way to do it. Using the resistance bands in my opinion is mostly about creativity and practice.

Just wanted to know if anyone over here is using this mode of exercising and what are their views on it?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2969 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
I use them exclusively for mobility work or targeting weak areas (e.g. various shoulder accessories).
Savak2015 wrote: Surprisingly i have found the Resistance bands to be pretty decent, the only exercises i have not been able to do are the legs i.e. leg extensions, leg press machines and will have to find a creative way to do it. Using the resistance bands in my opinion is mostly about creativity and practice.
You can step into one to give yourself some resistance during squats, but they seem a bit useless for lower body work.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3949 posts
1917 upvotes
Resistance bands if used effectively will definitely help with strength and conditioning. I suggest researching online on various exercises based on what you hope to accomplish.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8278 posts
2879 upvotes
Mississauga
While doing leg extensions or leg presses are difficult to do without the machines, you can most certainly still target same muscles with alternative exercises.

For example, leg extensions are pretty much an isolated quad workout. Alternatives like squats or running up flights of stairs or hills or squat jumps, etc. may not target quads in isolation or predominately, but they will at least work the quads as well. Can you replicate the high amount of weight that you can get to on a leg extension machine with bands, probably not. But in terms of just some added resistance from bands and body weight and putting a little bit of work to the same muscle groups, sure.
Jan 29, 2020
12 posts
I like Tom Brady's book on fitness. He is a big fan of resistance bands. It could have some more ideas for you.
Last edited by payumo on Nov 8th, 2020 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11153 posts
6157 upvotes
Markham
Tons of vids on YT on how ppl/trainers use resistance bands. Pretty sure you can find what you're looking for on there.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!