• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2022 10:32 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7604 posts
864 upvotes
Toronto
roblombardi wrote: Will miss the cougars too!
LOL I remember going there knowing it was a cougar joint a looong time ago like the long since closed Chick'N'Deli, now I'm at least as old as the cougars.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1869 upvotes
Scarborough
playnicee1 wrote: Mary Browns has also been in Scarborough for a while now, @ Eglinton & Brimley.
They have been opening up more locations lately, including Midland & Ellesmere in Scarborough, more recently.

Unlike KFC, which seems to be closing locations permanently. lol (ie Victoria Park & Lawrence, which has been there forever)
Mary Browns in the plaza on Kingston Rd. just west of Midland had closed down a while ago.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18899 posts
5839 upvotes
Toronto
Strafe1 wrote: Mary Browns in the plaza on Kingston Rd. just west of Midland had closed down a while ago.
So, one closes down, another opens up! More opening than closing also.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1869 upvotes
Scarborough
playnicee1 wrote: So, one closes down, another opens up! More opening than closing also.
Personally, on top with this whole pandemic scare going about; I think most of these chicken shacks are in trouble as they are way over-priced to begin with, have been cutting all kinds of corners in shrinking the product sizes, quality, everything. KFC, Mary Browns, Church's are on the radar. Popeye's, Chick Fil-A & Chick N'Joy may hold it down as they are not such bad offenders in these issues.

The KFC at Bellamy/Lawrence lost their drive thru after they moved down a unit and their original one got taken up by Tim's. With this whole lockdown thing and they are not doing counter service for pick up, no drive thru, that leaves them with just delivery. Big losses for them from especially losing their drive thru.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18899 posts
5839 upvotes
Toronto
Strafe1 wrote: The KFC at Bellamy/Lawrence lost their drive thru after they moved down a unit and their original one got taken up by Tim's. With this whole lockdown thing and they are not doing counter service for pick up, no drive thru, that leaves them with just delivery. Big losses for them from especially losing their drive thru.
Bellamy & Lawrence KFC is probably delivering in an expanded area, since Victoria park & Lawrence KFC closed.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1869 upvotes
Scarborough
playnicee1 wrote: Bellamy & Lawrence KFC is probably delivering in an expanded area, since Victoria park & Lawrence KFC closed.
They'd ought to, if they want to try to make up for the hit in no drive thru or orders at counter. Whereas right next to them, their sister brand Pizza Hut is allowing pick ups and orders inside their store? Confused Face
Oct 22, 2019
100 posts
84 upvotes
phez wrote: what exactly do these landlords think is going to happen? they gonna find someone new to move in immediately? they will start business immediately?
I've read a lot of comments saying "Why would landlords kick their tenants out, their space will go unused it makes no difference" however, because I work in the industry, it's actually a good thing (depending on the location) of the landlord, because if they kick our their pizza parlor/local restaurant, a big chain like McDonalds can move in and pay a higher price. I've looked at a lot of places trying to start a place, and every time I've came close, I was always jipped by a big franchise,
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3005 upvotes
keenland
nchan01 wrote: I've read a lot of comments saying "Why would landlords kick their tenants out, their space will go unused it makes no difference" however, because I work in the industry, it's actually a good thing (depending on the location) of the landlord, because if they kick our their pizza parlor/local restaurant, a big chain like McDonalds can move in and pay a higher price. I've looked at a lot of places trying to start a place, and every time I've came close, I was always jipped by a big franchise,
having spent about 20 years in the restaurant business..2 out of every 5 restaurants in the current model today will survive ( and that is optimistic)...we will never go back to allowed capacities as before, so classic eat in, or bar type cannot generate enough revenue to survive...the numbers just dont add up,,,small footprint/take out will take a hit but can still make a go of it, but eat in will be decimated...unless prices go up by 30% or more..end even then i am not optimistic
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18899 posts
5839 upvotes
Toronto
cardguy wrote: having spent about 20 years in the restaurant business..2 out of every 5 restaurants in the current model today will survive ( and that is optimistic)...we will never go back to allowed capacities as before, so classic eat in, or bar type cannot generate enough revenue to survive...the numbers just dont add up,,,small footprint/take out will take a hit but can still make a go of it, but eat in will be decimated...unless prices go up by 30% or more..end even then i am not optimistic
The quick fix in Toronto, (if restaurants can open in time for late spring/early summer) is to open patios and expand them. I'm not sure what John Tory's plan is for the winter...
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3005 upvotes
keenland
playnicee1 wrote: The quick fix in Toronto, (if restaurants can open in time for late spring/early summer) is to open patios and expand them. I'm not sure what John Tory's plan is for the winter...
still only a small fix...rents are based on capacity to generate revenue..that will be drastically reduced...somehow, i dont think commercial land lords will be open to rent adjustments going forward but it will all be to their own detriment as the market adjusts
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1896 posts
2133 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: The quick fix in Toronto, (if restaurants can open in time for late spring/early summer) is to open patios and expand them. I'm not sure what John Tory's plan is for the winter...
Maybe but there is also another fee to be paid if a restaurant wants to open a patio. The city ALWAYS gets a share.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
23779 posts
31602 upvotes
Toronto
bye Nando's

I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18899 posts
5839 upvotes
Toronto
sprung wrote: bye Nando's

Nando's Bay Street, Kennedy Commons and Queen street west remain open for pick up only. (You have to go online to place the order. No phone orders, but Uber eats and Skip the dishes orders will also be accepted)
All other locations in Toronto are now permanently closed.
(this also includes Nando's @ Eglinton & Brentcliffe as one of the locations gone)
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18899 posts
5839 upvotes
Toronto
sprung wrote: bye Nando's
Not bye.
It's only 21 locations. NOT the whole chain.

"Twenty-seven other locations — including 14 franchises — in British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario will remain open. The 21 unnamed corporate owned-and-operated spots “have not been commercially viable for some time,” the company said.
Nando’s Canada will attempt to move employees to other locations.

SOURCE: https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.4941200
Oct 22, 2019
100 posts
84 upvotes
cardguy wrote: having spent about 20 years in the restaurant business..2 out of every 5 restaurants in the current model today will survive ( and that is optimistic)...we will never go back to allowed capacities as before, so classic eat in, or bar type cannot generate enough revenue to survive...the numbers just dont add up,,,small footprint/take out will take a hit but can still make a go of it, but eat in will be decimated...unless prices go up by 30% or more..end even then i am not optimistic
I think the places that got evicted, a lot of franchise will be taking over. They are more profitable, fast food, maybe even US chains might come in if they seize the opportunity of a good location.

I think going forward we will see a lot of those fast food taking over, or 'fast food restaraunts' like Banh Mi Boys.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
23779 posts
31602 upvotes
Toronto
Loss for Toronto's Little Italy

I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.
Oct 22, 2019
100 posts
84 upvotes
Just read in article today of a chain coming to Canada opening 120 stores. Wish I remembered the article/name but it's a chicken joint.

Like I mentioned above, all these stores will be occupied real soon, especially people who's always wanted to open a business, they have a lot of options now since there's so many places open.