Food & Drink

Restaurants that closed permanently

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2020 7:19 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1777 posts
974 upvotes
So many memories here with family. Was always a better option than Mandarin nearby. Sorry to see it go. Another restaurant lost. Disappointed But Relieved Face
Steeles and Woodbine from 11:30 a.m. until 3 p.m.
Last edited by TomRFD on Aug 28th, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added date/time to title
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2005
2469 posts
1714 upvotes
According to the News, they have 137 employees lost the job. It surprised me that a "buffet" restaurant has that many employees. And my friend smiled and told me that those people probably the owner's family and friend, pay them $5000 as "salary" and save some taxes, and they can get $2000 a month... Smart people, they are the true RFDer.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1777 posts
974 upvotes
raccoon wrote: According to the News, they have 137 employees lost the job. It surprised me that a "buffet" restaurant has that many employees. And my friend smiled and told me that those people probably the owner's family and friend, pay them $5000 as "salary" and save some taxes, and they can get $2000 a month... Smart people, they are the true RFDer.
I remember we met the head chef there almost 8 years ago. He offered my mother to try a new dish he was working on. This was a great restaurant for the community. Really sad.
Aug 27, 2006
345 posts
717 upvotes
GTA
Haven't been there for about 10 years since those metal dish cleaning cloth pieces were found in my and my brother's food.
No one apologized, didn't even offer any thing off the bill because I got a new plate and continued eating.

Bitch, I was starving and there were 10+ people in my group I didn't really know well. Had no choice.
Last edited by el'ation on Aug 28th, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 1, 2003
954 posts
361 upvotes
I have a friend who used to work in their Accounting department would tell you otherwise.

It takes a lot of people to run a good business...
raccoon wrote: According to the News, they have 137 employees lost the job. It surprised me that a "buffet" restaurant has that many employees. And my friend smiled and told me that those people probably the owner's family and friend, pay them $5000 as "salary" and save some taxes, and they can get $2000 a month... Smart people, they are the true RFDer.
Salesperson
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3978 posts
252 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Raccoon thats not how it works.CRA will do a audit on anyone who files a CREB claim to see their work history.If they see worker being hired say Feb 2020 and few month later claiming the CREB I can 100% promise the business and the individual will get audited.Yes a buffett can have over 100 workers on different shifts and days.Most of them have workers at night prepping food when the place is closed and they also have the cleaning staff.The workers you see in the dining area is only the tip of the iceberg.Add into the mix of those handling the finances,ordering,deliveries etc 100 workers is reasonable.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1716 posts
9158 upvotes
Are all the RFDers outside of "centre of the RFD universe GTA" supposed to mind read where this is located?
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2299 posts
554 upvotes
Your friend is not giving you an informed information. "probably" etc. Nobody started working for $5000 salary to get $2000 from CERB that didn't exist before, and you didn't qualify if you didn't have it on record.

Your entire post is defamation on the basis of what "your friend" told you "probably" was - uninformed hearsay. You should be ashamed. It's not enough this business is closing and people are losing their jobs, you have to assault their character on no basis at all.

Post reported.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3663 posts
1328 upvotes
137 employees for a buffet that size is nothing.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2071 posts
1113 upvotes
Vancouveresque
Location in title please.
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Capitalism is a plague on this planet. Get that crap out of your signature.
Aug 7, 2017
351 posts
321 upvotes
Was there last year. As an out-of-towner I had no nostalgia goggles on. It was pretty gross - dated, dirty dining areas (carpet where we were) and so-so food focused on quantity over quality. I was worried enough then about hygiene (few screens over the food to avoid people sneezing and coughing on it); with COVID it would be horrific.

It's really no loss, the outside was cool but beyond that it needed completely gutting. Not the kind of place that will survive the COVID revolution. Sad for staff though I'm sure.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9322 posts
3598 upvotes
Toronto
RIP
Last edited by ShoNuff2 on Aug 28th, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1662 posts
726 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Leverage wrote: Are all the RFDers outside of "centre of the RFD universe GTA" supposed to mind read where this is located?
There's other parts of Canada?
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2737 posts
416 upvotes
North York
Leverage wrote: Are all the RFDers outside of "centre of the RFD universe GTA" supposed to mind read where this is located?
A well known eatery, on Woodbine Ave, in Markham, Ontario. Very quaint façade - like the leaning tower of Pisa. Fun atmosphere and plenty of variety and food!
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2616 posts
1527 upvotes
I agree with a few in here. As a kid it was fun but i went about 3 years ago with a friend and it was just down right gross. nothing of quality to eat, just quantity of pasta in sauce and gross pizza. It wont be missed as far as I am concerned.

also some MOD must have messed up and merged this into the hot deal section....
Got that Zoomer account!