Food & Drink

Restaurants that closed permanently

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2020 7:19 pm
Mar 4, 2010
505 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote: I also liked Mongolian Grill. (that's liked, not loved) I was allowed to pile on the shrimp, or even pig out on smoked salmon (week-ends) so I have no complaints about the place. I will miss it. (as will many of my friends)
If I do have to complain, they needed more soup choices, maybe even a little more food in the cooked food section, but their dessert section was very good, chocolate fountain and all...
I too like it. It was my go to place when going to the Don Mills VIP theatres heading south from my neighbourhood. They had unlimited lamb, whcih was pretty good but the way everything tended to get cooked together on the grill kinda made it all taste the same. It's too bad they couldn't figure out a way to operate.

Frankie Tomatoes, now this, my buffet/ayce's i visit 2-3 times a year are disappearing. hope my more visited buffets/ayce dont close
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1180 posts
889 upvotes
Toronto
Hakata Shoryuken North York location is closed
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6629 posts
2896 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: This place is SUPER MEH!!! I’m forced to go yearly for a family members bday as they like it...
didnt taste good, regardless of the sauce that went with. It was all show and nothing else.

And The Fry went back to their weekly specials that they cancelled weeks earlier around when Phase 3 started. Things certainly arent back to normal for that smaller chain.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16043 posts
3475 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote: didnt taste good, regardless of the sauce that went with. It was all show and nothing else.
I disagree. I was very much happy with the taste. Especially when they let you choose literally everything self serve, sauce and all!
Shrimp helped make the taste better.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12960 upvotes
raccoon wrote: It surprised me that a "buffet" restaurant has that many employees.
While I have no idea what the size of this place was, it sounds like it was fairly large.
If so, 137 wouldn't shock me in the slightest. Two shifts plus anyone that's even remotely part time means there's tons of names on the list but not everyone is working at once.
Pardon wrote: SoSo Food Club
Why would I want food that's SoSo? I'd rather have good food.
/terrible joke
oicthat2013 wrote: never heard of this place. how's the food compared to other chinese buffets?
Is Mongolie Grill even a buffet (as in AYCE)? I always thought they were a buffet as in you get to pick what you want but it was pay per weight.

playnicee1 wrote: You know what? There is room in the place to put a huge screen up for everyone to watch from their seats. Just fill out a card and have the food brought to the table.
Watch the food being cooked on the screen. Each cooking would have an order number displayed. Perhaps it's just not the same, but it's an idea that would have tied them over until covid 19 dies off.
It's not the cooking that's the problem it's the self service nature of picking ingredients.
IMO it's better than a regular buffet since the items are cooked so some idiot coughing won't affect the food, but having people up from their tables congregating around the buffet area is going to be an issue.
And while I have no idea what the layout of this particular location is, the few I've been to (this type of restaurant) most tables can't see the cook anyways. It's about picking what you want in your stir fry.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4344 posts
3873 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: This place is SUPER MEH!!! I’m forced to go yearly for a family members bday as they like it...
badOne wrote: didnt taste good, regardless of the sauce that went with. It was all show and nothing else.
Definitely agree, all bark no bite. Solid meh. Just another variation on all those Chinese-run "Teppanyaki" places (when I finally go to Japan I want to try a proper one run by Japanese cooking real Kobe beef, not the "toss egg into hat" and "onion volcano" show common here). Given that Genghis Khan was next door to Memories of Japan... hmmm... same people behind it?

But for those who can't get enough of it, we still have one out here in Durham Region. Reviews aren't good....

https://www.themongoliangrill.com/
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/mongolian-grill-whitby
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_R ... tario.html
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2004
4839 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
Had tried... not too impressed. It would be difficult for the 3rd one to survive when there were already Konjiki and Kinton.
yesnomaybe wrote: Hakata Shoryuken North York location is closed
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27570 posts
12630 upvotes
Toronto
h2o- wrote: Had tried... not too impressed. It would be difficult for the 3rd one to survive when there were already Konjiki and Kinton.
Kinton is so, so salty.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16043 posts
3475 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: It's not the cooking that's the problem it's the self service nature of picking ingredients.
IMO it's better than a regular buffet since the items are cooked so some idiot coughing won't affect the food, but having people up from their tables congregating around the buffet area is going to be an issue.
And while I have no idea what the layout of this particular location is, the few I've been to (this type of restaurant) most tables can't see the cook anyways. It's about picking what you want in your stir fry.
Yes, so as I was saying, just pick everything from a card at the table and watch it get cooked on a big screen.
The layout was an extremely large round cooking surface. You were able to watch them cook it right in front of you as you stood there and watched, then took the cooked food back to your table.
Now it would have to be brought to your table.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12960 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Yes, so as I was saying, just pick everything from a card at the table
As is with the issue with full service buffets, the issue is how much do you want.
Half the "fun" of this type of thing is putting a mountain of beef with nothing but sauce. Telling someone to do that (especially when they have costs in mind) doesn't usually translate well.
The layout was an extremely large round cooking surface. You were able to watch them cook it right in front of you as you stood there and watched, then took the cooked food back to your table.
Oh right, some have waiting areas. Most of the mongolie style restaurants I've been to have a "take a number" type thing where they bring it to you when it's cooked.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5720 posts
1848 upvotes
h2o- wrote: Had tried... not too impressed. It would be difficult for the 3rd one to survive when there were already Konjiki and Kinton.
I've been to this location with Japanese friends, none of us were impressed
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16043 posts
3475 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Is Mongolie Grill even a buffet (as in AYCE)? I always thought they were a buffet as in you get to pick what you want but it was pay per weight.
It was one fixed price of $32.99 for AYCE.
There were both a raw food selection (you watch them cook it) and other sections.
One with salads etc, another with a cooked food section and some soup, and also a dessert section.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12960 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: It was one fixed price of $32.99 for AYCE.
I may have been thinking of a different brand. I thought these guys were pay per weight.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9056 posts
3877 upvotes
Toronto
Lumos Breakfast House and Chamber of Spirits in Guelph closed down ...

Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is