• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2022 6:44 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18868 posts
5799 upvotes
Toronto
HP_John wrote: Something weird going on, the Paddock claims that they would pay full rent, they told the landlord they will "cover their 25% cut of rent forgiveness, so they would collect full rent". If they're willing to pay full rent, why would they be getting evicted, on what basis? Either the Paddock is lying or they should reword what they wrote, as it doesn't make sense.
Truth is, the landlord went in another direction, using COVID 19 as an excuse to speed things up.
That way, the lease can be terminated now instead of in 2025: ➡ https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/202 ... 146539.pdf

Some form of rent still must have been due. Maybe it's about a timing agreement with a late rent issue?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1306 upvotes
This list will get a lot bigger soon as the cold weather is settling in. Restaurants that were relying on patio and takeout to stay in business are about to lose most of their patio customer base even with heaters. The vast majority of people are just not ready for indoor dining just yet.

We got 2 deliveries this week and both drivers said deliveries are worse than they were at the beginning of this pandemic. They saw a constant steady upward trend as restrictions were lifted and the numbers went on a downward trend but now that the numbers are climbing upwards and the cold weather is moving in it's all crashed.

Our one supplier supplier who normally has about 30 to 40 deliveries a day had 2 deliveries yesterday, one of which was ours and had 4 last week and 7 the week before, down form 30-40. He said all the restaurants are cancelling orders as they still have stock from previous orders.
Our other supplier only had 4 deliveries, no idea how many he usually has but I'm assuming similar numbers.

I expect to see more restaurant closures when the cold weather hits compared to the ones we lost already during the pandemic
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18868 posts
5799 upvotes
Toronto
Udon restaurant @ Bloor & Borden (between Bathurst and Spadina) didn't last long. (less than 2 years)
The signage is gone and the place is papered up. I'm guessing something new is coming very soon.
Sep 18, 2019
875 posts
760 upvotes
Reading on Yelp that Peking Man Restaurant on Sheppard East is closed permanently. Is that true? Anyone live around the area can confirm? Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5038 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
Sunway wrote: Reading on Yelp that Peking Man Restaurant on Sheppard East is closed permanently. Is that true? Anyone live around the area can confirm? Thanks
Peking Man Restaurant was closed late 2019 or early 2020. Finished their few decades business!

This one new Chinese restaurant replaced it and opened right before the pandemic but did not last long.
It closed again and the current restaurant with a new name is up at the location.

Current restaurant probably still in business - https://www.yelp.com/biz/j-and-y-chines ... ne-toronto
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2987 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote: This list will get a lot bigger soon as the cold weather is settling in. Restaurants that were relying on patio and takeout to stay in business are about to lose most of their patio customer base even with heaters. The vast majority of people are just not ready for indoor dining just yet.

We got 2 deliveries this week and both drivers said deliveries are worse than they were at the beginning of this pandemic. They saw a constant steady upward trend as restrictions were lifted and the numbers went on a downward trend but now that the numbers are climbing upwards and the cold weather is moving in it's all crashed.

Our one supplier supplier who normally has about 30 to 40 deliveries a day had 2 deliveries yesterday, one of which was ours and had 4 last week and 7 the week before, down form 30-40. He said all the restaurants are cancelling orders as they still have stock from previous orders.
Our other supplier only had 4 deliveries, no idea how many he usually has but I'm assuming similar numbers.

I expect to see more restaurant closures when the cold weather hits compared to the ones we lost already during the pandemic
Thank you for the update - this pandemic is getting more and more savage for the small restaurant owner. At least smaller retail shops arent required to close so they are spared this time around.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
18868 posts
5799 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote: At least smaller retail shops arent required to close so they are spared this time around.
That's because they're going after every excuse to remove the mask. Popcorn eating at a theatre, and eating food inside a restaurant.
The mask can still stay on in a retail shop.
Apr 15, 2018
342 posts
387 upvotes
I just bought for the first time Swiss Chalet's Retail - Cryovac...Ribs.

They were meaty enough and the texture was ok but I would not buy them gain. I cooked them in the oven.
I don't care for their sauce. I tend to prefer a sweeter type sauce.

I prefer Metro's Irresitable Ribs. Perhaps not as meaty as Swiss Chalet but perhaps that too could vary from batch to batch.

I am not a rib expert.
Aug 13, 2011
708 posts
270 upvotes
Scarborough southwes…
Sunway wrote: Reading on Yelp that Peking Man Restaurant on Sheppard East is closed permanently. Is that true? Anyone live around the area can confirm? Thanks

I know is a late reply but just came across your question.
I'm told that Peking Man moved to the second floor of Pacific Mall. This is the one on the north side of Sheppard just west of Leslie?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9803 posts
2896 upvotes
Vancouver
Excellent restaurant near steeles and Kennedy. Sad to see them go.

Last time I went they had trouble keeping up with orders as everything was cooked to order.

Recommend Cuban sandwich there. Churros are great too but not much of a fried sugar guy myself
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
10572 posts
5469 upvotes
Toronto
Kub Khao - Last day is May 29th - 15% cash discount on dine-in and takeout

3561 Sheppard Ave E
Birchmount/Sheppard (at the gas station)
Scarborough, ON M1T 3K7
Dec 3, 2013
575 posts
870 upvotes
Somewhere over the r…
I expect to see a lot more in the upcoming months, Those that survived the pandemic now have to cope with high food inflation. Usually the first thing to go is people eating out when money gets tight.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
3962 posts
2868 upvotes
interest rates are going up, fastest in decades, that includes mortgages. Im not sure that is getting through to everyone who has a mortgage. Once it becomes real for them they will scale back.

This also is affecting the stock market, and the stock market is usually the earliest harbinger of what is to come. Higher interest rate = higher cost of previously "free" money = less people buying into stocks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)