• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2021 4:07 pm
[OP]
Dec 8, 2008
190 posts
59 upvotes

Restoring Enamel

Besides using Sensodyne Pronamel what else do you use to restore your enamel? My dentist told me my enamel is very low and could cause cavities. Anything else you do/take? I also try to stay away from too much acid.
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
6023 posts
7179 upvotes
The NORTH
It's marketing.... It pushes calcium and other minerals into your enamel with the theory that it helps strengthen what enamel you have. The problem is that once your enamel is gone, nothing you do can bring it back. Does it 'restore enamel'? Hard to say exactly as to how you define 'restore' but just remember that once the enamel is gone, its gone.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4565 posts
1645 upvotes
Bubblejoy1 wrote: Besides using Sensodyne Pronamel what else do you use to restore your enamel? My dentist told me my enamel is very low and could cause cavities. Anything else you do/take? I also try to stay away from too much acid.
There's nothing you can do that'll magically make your enamel thicker by any measurable thickness. All this "repair" thing do is to make the existing enamel more resilient by forming a layer of protection, and prevent further demineralization of existing layers.

Somethings you can do to preserve your existing enamel are make sure you're using a soft bristled toothbrush, don't brush too hard, avoid acidic foods (or at least neutralize with some water right away), if you're a grinder/clencher get fitted for a occlusal guard .
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1739 posts
1225 upvotes
Vancouver
SusanM6112 wrote: I use Sensodyne Repair & Protect. Here's a similar page that explains how it works. It looks better to me.
Same, been using it for a while and it is really good imo. Though did you know NovaMin was actually developed in the 1960s and used to be there in several toothpastes, until Sensodyne came and took over
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5484 posts
3492 upvotes
SW ON
OP, do you know if tap water is fluoridated where you live? Even though you are not a teenager (based on your other thread) a fluoride tincture (or something like this) application might help. I remember a dentist once applied it to my kid's teeth. And another person I know grew up in a place without water fluoridation, and had this tincture/paste applied something like twice a year before turning 18. I think this might help you. I am surprised that your dentist didn't offer you this.

Also, some people can regrow enamel on their own. It seems to be genetic and probably correlates with the pH of saliva. Saliva should be slightly basic, then it will neutralize acidity from the food eaten. Often, people living together may have very different levels of caries (cavities) while eating the same food and having the same lifestyle (like my wife and I).

I'd recommend rinsing your mouth with water before going to sleep. I do it when I drink. Before swallowing water I rinse my mouth with it. My mouth is already clean anyway but this water may help flush away any residual acidity if it is there.
Jun 6, 2009
645 posts
210 upvotes
It is not possible to regrow enamel.

Remineralization is the only process that can happen
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5484 posts
3492 upvotes
SW ON
cleardevil wrote: It is not possible to regrow enamel.

Remineralization is the only process that can happen
Aren't those the same thing?
Aug 2, 2021
6 posts
4 upvotes
alpovs wrote: Aren't those the same thing?
Remineralization is more like repairing damage to a weakened (but existing) enamel to make it stronger. If the enamel is already gone (because of cavities or decay) then you can't regrow it (you can't remineralize if it's not there to begin with).
Dec 12, 2005
763 posts
207 upvotes
Richmond
Do you chew ice? Chewing ice an affect the enamel.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1341 posts
220 upvotes
SusanM6112 wrote: I use Sensodyne Repair & Protect. Here's a similar page that explains how it works. It looks better to me.
kramer1 wrote: Same, been using it for a while and it is really good imo. Though did you know NovaMin was actually developed in the 1960s and used to be there in several toothpastes, until Sensodyne came and took over
Which toothpaste do you use? Which is the best?
cybercavalier wrote: on Sep 2nd, 2020 1:27 pm
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
[OP]
Dec 8, 2008
190 posts
59 upvotes
Thanks everyone. Just trying to see if I can avoid getting crowns or veneers. I have lost a lot of enamel and would like to save/keep what I have left.
Jul 4, 2021
377 posts
197 upvotes
GTA
Bubblejoy1 wrote: Thanks everyone. Just trying to see if I can avoid getting crowns or veneers. I have lost a lot of enamel and would like to save/keep what I have left.
Have your dentist / practitioner see if you can apply a sealant -- not everyone benefits... but here's something to read on. (I have mine but again, check with your dentist first)

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... n-sealants
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1341 posts
220 upvotes
kramer1 wrote: Same, been using it for a while and it is really good imo. Though did you know NovaMin was actually developed in the 1960s and used to be there in several toothpastes, until Sensodyne came and took over
Sensodyne Repair & Protect Whitening...
Containing Sodium Monofluorophosphate (sodium fluorophosphate), 1450 ppm-F.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Oct 17, 2004
102 posts
23 upvotes
Xylitol toothpaste/gum

tl;dr it kills the bad bacteria in your mouth. Girl in the video cured her cavities over the span of about a year.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
6023 posts
7179 upvotes
The NORTH
sloose wrote: Xylitol toothpaste/gum

tl;dr it kills the bad bacteria in your mouth. Girl in the video cured her cavities over the span of about a year.
Doesn't it kill your pets too? I know, i know, so does chocolate.