[OP]
Jul 27, 2008
54 posts
2 upvotes
Alberta, Canada

Resume...critique please =)

Hi all,

A little bit of background:

I graduated last year with a BSN, and unable to find work in the city, I landed a RN job in rural Alberta. The first job I had didn't work out quite as well as I had hoped, but I was able to land another rural nursing job fairly soon after I was let go from my first position. I'm starting to look for jobs in Calgary and Edmonton, and I'd like some feedback on my resume. The skills and competencies section is actually a table on my resume, but I don't know how to format it into a table here. Thanks in advance!

SimplicityGirl, RN
Address - Phone number
____________________________________________________________________________________________

REGISTERED NURSE
PERFORMANCE PROFILE

Registered Nurse with acute medical-surgical nursing experience in a rural setting; possessing strong interpersonal and clinical skills delivering competent, safe, and professional nursing care. Have Charge Nurse experience—familiar with skills such as delegation, order processing, patient assignment and making rounds with physicians. Able to critically think and intervene appropriately in response to patients’ changing health statuses; monitored and stabilized patients in critical conditions prior to transfers to urban facilities. Experienced in working as part of an interdisciplinary healthcare team, and able to communicate in a clear, concise manner. Conscientious, dependable, punctual, and a fast learner.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES

 Nursing process
 Admission and Discharge planning
 Meditech and Netcare
 Patient advocacy
 Patient education
 Intravenous medication administration
 Heparin drips
 Insulin drips
 PICC line maintenance
 Drawing blood from PICC line
 Blood and blood products administration
 Wound care
 Chest tube maintenance
 Catheter maintenance
 End-of-life care

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES Staff Nurse – Rural Town #2 Hospital, Rural Town #2. Nov 2011-current
Provided nursing care to acute medical-surgical patients with varied diagnoses such as COPD, myocardial infarction, post CABG surgery, post orthopaedic surgery, renal failure, infections and cancer. Responsibilities included assessment and evaluation of care, acting as a liaison between the patient and the healthcare team, and ongoing planning of patient care. Acquired experience in facilitating the general operation of the unit by acting in the role of a Charge Nurse.

Staff Nurse – Rural Town #1 Hospital, Rural Town #1. Sept 2011-Nov 2011
Provided nursing care to patients in the acute care unit, and acquired beginning experience working with triage and assessment in an outpatient department.
LICENSURE AND CERTIFICATION Sept 2011 - present Registered Nurse
College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta

June 2012 N95 Fit Testing

March 2012 BLS, Level HCP
Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada

EDUCATION

May 2011 Bachelor of Science in Nursing
University of British Columbia
4 replies
Jul 2, 2012
527 posts
11 upvotes
Actually what I would do is have bullet form for your work experiences and education. Try to make it in point form rather than long sentences. Also in your performance profile I would put "monitor and stabilize" instead of "monitored and stabilized" It just flows with the way you described your other skills.
Like I said just try to stay away from long sentences, there is a way to tell all but in a concise manner. Other than that it looks fine.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9468 posts
1912 upvotes
Edmonton
I doubt you're going to have any problems getting a nursing position since AHS hires by the boatload
[OP]
Jul 27, 2008
54 posts
2 upvotes
Alberta, Canada
krissypoo27 wrote: Actually what I would do is have bullet form for your work experiences and education. Try to make it in point form rather than long sentences. Also in your performance profile I would put "monitor and stabilize" instead of "monitored and stabilized" It just flows with the way you described your other skills.
Like I said just try to stay away from long sentences, there is a way to tell all but in a concise manner. Other than that it looks fine.
Thanks for the feedback. Will incorporate your feedback into my resume :)
clseea wrote: I doubt you're going to have any problems getting a nursing position since AHS hires by the boatload
Wish it was that easy.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9468 posts
1912 upvotes
Edmonton
I know lots of nurses and it doesn't seem any of them have had problems getting jobs. My sister is a nurse and often complains about the shortage.