Tags:
None
[OP]
May 30, 2009
212 posts
35 upvotes
ontario

Resume Help Please

I worked full time for about 7 years got laid off. I decided to go back to school and waited about one year to get into the program I wanted and graduated in April 2011 with honors and a recipient of a scholarship.

Not the graduating present I wanted, my father was diagnosed with a terminal disease and not long to live. I decided to hold off on looking for work. I wanted to take care of him and spend as much time as I could with him. I took care of him, help him around, driving him to his appointments and driving him to where ever he wanted as he was very weak. For some reason including so of my relatives, they faulted me for doing this and they wanted me to look for work lol. I didn't listen.

Unfortunately, he passed away this year and I want to start looking for work. I've been taking care of my mom as this was very hard on our family. She says she is ready and wants me to work.

How do I write my resume? Do I put caregiver as a job? Do I explain this in my cover letters? Thanks for any input.
1 reply
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1667 posts
522 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to hear about the tough times you've had.

Personally, I wouldn't put caregiver as a job in the resume; as you suggest, putting it in the cover letter makes much more sense. Leave the resume for your actual jobs, schooling, etc.

Then in the cover letter you can talk about your accomplishments, and also spend time talking about taking care of your folks. This would help explain the time gap in your resume, and also allow you to expound on some of the challenges and difficulties you faced as a caregiver.

Good luck!