Shopping Discussion

Which retailer in Canada will go bankrupt next?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2024 8:01 pm

Poll: Which canadian retailer will go bankrupt next?

• Total votes: 964. You have voted on this poll.
Aldo

9%
Le Chateau

35%
Lowe's

5%
The Source

20%
Canada Computers

6%
Home Hardware

4%
The Brick

7%
Léon's

4%
Winners

2%
Staples

8%
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3047 posts
2146 upvotes
I have to disagree with Home Hardware. They actually have a huge following in small towns where theres no HD or Lowes.

Even the ones in Etobicoke Cloverdale is busy and their product assortment is pretty diverse. Whoever owns that store is good at doing business.

Also disagree with Aldo. I dont buy anything from there but they offer something at a budget. When people think cheap shoes for daily use that's the brand.

My best guess - La Cheateau. Disposable fashion will continue to die. Im also not sure how Rudsak is surviving today.

Winners can also close up shop if they decide to continue business using the Marshalls banner. I honestly cannot pinpoint how their differ other than the name. This is a BestBuy-Futureshop situation.
Last edited by Biscayne05 on Mar 2nd, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 5, 2017
500 posts
260 upvotes
secretalcoholic wrote: Davidstea, anyone?
They're really trying to get their name out there... Offers with a few different credit cards even just of the ones I have, just learned they're on rakuten too, probably others... I'm betting they're offering rebates as a way of promotion. I don't drink tea so I don't care lol but others do
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4962 posts
6862 upvotes
GTA
your best bet wrote: no way aircanada..i go down south alot. for vacation..there flights are always full...my friend is a pilot with air canada making 180,000 base..plus alot more with overtime...and all kind of bonuses,,if aircanad was in any type of trouble,,possibly his wage would get slashed,,meal allowance no more...
so cant see it with aircanada going under
AC went bankrupt in 2003, why not again?
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16789 posts
12572 upvotes
Markham
Due to covid-19, seems all retailers without strong online presence will
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
2443 posts
2978 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Kfox wrote: AC went bankrupt in 2003, why not again?
I always feel like companies really get there shit together after bankruptcies GM really got there shit together, Fiat Chrysler did too in some degree.
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
We need to make a new poll given current conditions, as Wuhan-19 is going to take out a totally different set of retailers than if it was still business as usual. Electronics places are safe, home improvement places like Lowes and Home Hardware are safe too (if you're stuck at home because your work is shut down, might as well renovate... I've heard of long lineups at Home Depot).

Places that sell absolutely useless shit like Lush through mostly bricks-and-mortar retail are in big trouble:

covid-toll-business-getting-worse-lush- ... g-2364723/

I'd include crap clothing retailers like Le Chateau and whatever banners the Benitez family is using now, as being on the brink given their reliance on mall traffic. H&M will take a hit but they'll bounce back fast from this.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2008
1550 posts
1208 upvotes
Toronto
submalst wrote: tip top
indigo (is very close to the edge)
aldo
rw co

the Bay will be fine for atleast one more year, but i do think they will close some stores in 2020.
Sadly, its going to be bad. I still maintain my original listing:
tip top
aldo
rw co

and add:
2001 Audio Video
Visions
Le Château
Reitmans Canada
Canada Computers
Bentley- luggage
The Shoe Company and SoftMoc
Roots-(stock is cratering under $1)
Claire's
The Body Shop
Sunglass Hut
SECOND CUP
DYNAMITE

SportChek - i think will have to close down some stores or will be sold to another company altogether (Canadian Tire will need the cash) - With the lack of team sports, no sporting events, high rents, no Olympics till next year, and they have had lackluster sales for awhile now, its just gonna hemorrhage money.

Party City- Nope- not gonna make it.

MEC- I think will be either closed or be sold off to some hedge fund company.
Altitude Sports- I like them alot but......

Hudson Bay- since they privatized, they were gonna close down some of their stores anyways. Now- they will absolutely ramp that up with probably more than half of them to close, and then wind down towards the end of the year.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1741 posts
1040 upvotes
MEC is definitely desperate given the insane amount of emails pitching terrible sales, sometimes multiple times a day.
Leadership representation definitely comes from the entitled and wealthy with poor diversity.

Would not be surprised they fall unless someone buys them. Maybe Canadian Tire will buy them.
submalst wrote: Sadly, its going to be bad. I still maintain my original listing:
tip top
aldo
rw co

and add:
2001 Audio Video
Visions
Le Château
Reitmans Canada
Canada Computers
Bentley- luggage
The Shoe Company and SoftMoc
Roots-(stock is cratering under $1)
Claire's
The Body Shop
Sunglass Hut
SECOND CUP
DYNAMITE

SportChek - i think will have to close down some stores or will be sold to another company altogether (Canadian Tire will need the cash) - With the lack of team sports, no sporting events, high rents, no Olympics till next year, and they have had lackluster sales for awhile now, its just gonna hemorrhage money.

Party City- Nope- not gonna make it.

MEC- I think will be either closed or be sold off to some hedge fund company.
Altitude Sports- I like them alot but......

Hudson Bay- since they privatized, they were gonna close down some of their stores anyways. Now- they will absolutely ramp that up with probably more than half of them to close, and then wind down towards the end of the year.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24669 posts
8739 upvotes
Toronto
Dang, too bad about MEC.

Before COVID-19, they should have moved to online only and get rid of their brick & mortar stores to lower overhead.

Not looking good for them.

Thinking Sportchek and Sporting Life would be next possibly.

I know they may have deep pockets but thinking store reduction is in the works.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1659 posts
1227 upvotes
London, On
Here in London, Toys R Us and DSW were both locked out of their stores in the Wonderland Rd power centre area for non-payment of rent. The notice on the Toys store said they were $136k in arrears. I think Toys R Us was probably in a position since their emergence from bankruptcy a couple years ago where they needed everything to go right for a few years to get on solid ground, so hopefully this isn't the beginning of the end for them. As for DSW, I can't even keep up with the various shoe chain bankruptcies and mergers the last little while that they were a part of, so I'm not really surprised if they are in trouble right now either.