Shopping Discussion

Which retailer in Canada will go bankrupt next?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 11:43 pm

Poll: Which canadian retailer will go bankrupt next?

• Total votes: 754. You have voted on this poll.
Aldo

9%
Le Chateau

36%
Lowe's

5%
The Source

20%
Canada Computers

5%
Home Hardware

4%
The Brick

6%
Léon's

4%
Winners

2%
Staples

7%
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4381 posts
3910 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Over the dozen times I've been there spanning 3 provinces and over a decade I can confidently say I've never had anything that's been good there.
Their chicken is a dumpster fire. May as well be a pigeon that was cooked in a dumpster fire.
Seriously... how do you overcook chicken that badly? I've cooked chicken 3 separate times and have it come out less dry.
Also. Worst. Ribs. Ever.
As we discussed in the other thread, their ribs are so overcooked they're mush. Pull out the bones and you have a mushy pile of meat that rivals mashed potatoes in texture.
Fries are greasy unsalted garbage. I remember as a kid, SC fries were a lot like Five Guys does them today. Not anymore.
SC should just buy rotisserie chicken from Costco down the road and serve that instead, that would be an (albeit very) slight improvement.
Finally whose bright idea was it to add BBQ sauce/seasoning to watery chicken gravy? That stuff belongs down the sewer, not on your plate....
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15085 posts
12421 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Didn’t know restaurants were retailers... holy thread derail. Mods are sleeping as usual.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4700 posts
1375 upvotes
Ottawa
Temporel wrote: Who has bad customer service?
Poor quality?
High prices?
No inventory?
No traffic in the stores?
Who will not be around for the next Holiday season? Your guess?

Poll rules state that they may have up to 10 options.
Be nice, it's my first time at creating a poll. :)

Thanks for participating.

EDIT April 23, 2020: With the current pandemic, maybe this is not a good time to speculate on who will croak next and this thread should be locked.
OP you should add Canadian Tire on the list, hate shopping there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
4612 posts
6854 upvotes
Montreal
sonyHdr12 wrote: OP you should add Canadian Tire on the list, hate shopping there.
Adding or removing any retailer would rest the poll.
I have asked mods to lock this thread but to no avail.
May 31, 2008
982 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto
sonyHdr12 wrote: OP you should add Canadian Tire on the list, hate shopping there.
There is no chance they are closing.
They have one the largest commercial holdings of real estate in Canada (And their REIT) and have access to billions in credit lines.
Oct 27, 2012
866 posts
837 upvotes
Toronto
Do you seriously think Crappy Tire will go bankrupt? Or do you wish that they would go bankrupt? There is a difference between companies that may actually go bankrupt and those that you wish would go bankrupt. This thread isn't the place for the latter as much as I would like to see Crappy Tire fail.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3296 upvotes
I read that like buddy hate-shops CT the way women hate-watch the Kardashians. 'struth.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5246 posts
3809 upvotes
Edmonton
Boston Pizza is in deep trouble for sure. Their dividend is paying out like 17% because their income fund stock has plunged so much. Also, whenever I see businesses for sale there are tons of Boston Pizza locations. It is usually always the same thing... "Cost $1.5 million to build, must sell, asking $400K" or something like that. No buyers though. Some locations are closing. Sales down 50% in the last quarter. Boston Pizza is just not a viable business model anymore.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14636 posts
11851 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
adamtheman wrote: Boston Pizza is in deep trouble for sure. Their dividend is paying out like 17% because their income fund stock has plunged so much. Also, whenever I see businesses for sale there are tons of Boston Pizza locations. It is usually always the same thing... "Cost $1.5 million to build, must sell, asking $400K" or something like that. No buyers though. Some locations are closing. Sales down 50% in the last quarter. Boston Pizza is just not a viable business model anymore.
Horsefeathers

Bars & Restaurants are having a tough time during Covid granted ... but these business models for Chain Restaurants geared at families (aka Roadhouses in the burbs with Cheap enough Eats, Tvs for Sports, and Beers) ... are not going anywhere soon

The problem you are seeing right now ...

Is indicative of a lot of young guys ... who got into the Restaurant Game by overextending themselves to buy into franchises ... thinking it would be a get rich quick scheme

Cuz everybody knows a guy ... or knows a guy who knows a guy ... who’s father got rich cuz of owning a Dairy Queen or McDonalds etc

Truth ... it’s not a get rich quick scheme

Have seen a lot of this in my lifetime ... be it Dairy Queen, McDonalds, KFC, or any of these middle of the road eat in joints

Franchises have a lot of rules, responsibilities, & expectations to hold up

Never mind crazy costs back to the Parent Co

The trick is to not buy in by the skin of your teeth ... but have MORE THAN ENOUGH money (usually in the form of partnerships)

So when the going gets tough you can hang on

Cuz franchises aren’t a get rich thing ... they’ll ALWAYS suck every last dime out of you

There are a MARATHON purchase, where you only see the true gains thru EQUITY ... 20, 30+ years down the road when you sell up & retire
Last edited by PointsHubby on Aug 18th, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2332 posts
1918 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
adamtheman wrote: Boston Pizza is in deep trouble for sure. Their dividend is paying out like 17% because their income fund stock has plunged so much. Also, whenever I see businesses for sale there are tons of Boston Pizza locations. It is usually always the same thing... "Cost $1.5 million to build, must sell, asking $400K" or something like that. No buyers though. Some locations are closing. Sales down 50% in the last quarter. Boston Pizza is just not a viable business model anymore.
There was the recent Boston Pizza bankruptcuy here in KW where most of the locations closed after a franchisee went under so you may be onto something.
I like credit unions and Honda Civics.
Member with DUCA Credit Union.
Oct 27, 2012
866 posts
837 upvotes
Toronto
Temporel wrote: Adding or removing any retailer would rest the poll.
I have asked mods to lock this thread but to no avail.
For all the derails I actually like the discussion on this thread. Plus I don’t mind seeing bad businesses croak.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3296 upvotes
ozzie16 wrote: For all the derails I actually like the discussion on this thread. Plus I don’t mind seeing bad businesses croak.
Yes, more interesting than just a list of dead businesses.