Shopping Discussion

Which retailer in Canada will go bankrupt next?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 11:43 pm

Poll: Which canadian retailer will go bankrupt next?

• Total votes: 754. You have voted on this poll.
Aldo

9%
Le Chateau

36%
Lowe's

5%
The Source

20%
Canada Computers

5%
Home Hardware

4%
The Brick

6%
Léon's

4%
Winners

2%
Staples

7%
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14636 posts
11851 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
BiegeToyota wrote: How mush is Timmie and Mac franchise these days?
According to Business Insider it costs between $ 1 and $ 2.2 Million US to build & open one of their locations
PLUS tons of other monthly fees & costs
https://www.businessinsider.com/what-it ... ds-2014-11

Never mind the long list of other Franchise Owner Requirements (aka HEADACHES )
https://www.mcdonalds.com/ca/en-ca/abou ... ising.html

And at the end of the day ... the average annual profit of about $ 150,000 US

That’s NOT A LOT OF MONEY in 2020
Definitely not worth the trouble
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8353 posts
3794 upvotes
Markham
PointsHubby wrote:

And at the end of the day ... the average annual profit of about $ 150,000 US

That’s NOT A LOT OF MONEY in 2020
Definitely not worth the trouble
Those franchise owners barely qualified as RFDers lol lol

Some of them probably got declined by triangle WE lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5139 posts
1939 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Works Burgers/Webers vs Red Robin/Fuddruckers/Sonic -- no contest
So at the time I read this, and as someone who lived in Ottawa about a decade ago, I thought "hey now, The Works is a good place".

Just came back from the one in Port Credit, first time I've tried going to one in probably 6 years, and I'm now fully behind your statement. I can't even tell you if the food is as good as I remember because I waited an hour for a hamburger before walking out (with the staff saying "it's almost ready" for half an hour, and the owner strutting around in a stained white polo shirt like he was Gordon Ramsey without any of the, you know, cooking part).
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4381 posts
3910 upvotes
Manatus wrote: So at the time I read this, and as someone who lived in Ottawa about a decade ago, I thought "hey now, The Works is a good place".

Just came back from the one in Port Credit, first time I've tried going to one in probably 6 years, and I'm now fully behind your statement. I can't even tell you if the food is as good as I remember because I waited an hour for a hamburger before walking out (with the staff saying "it's almost ready" for half an hour, and the owner strutting around in a stained white polo shirt like he was Gordon Ramsey without any of the, you know, cooking part).
Easy answer. If it was good in Ottawa when it was an indy, MTY ruined it when they took it province-wide. I remember when they first came to the GTA, their website still had all that "Leafs Suck, Senators Rule" crap all over it. That had to disappear in a hurry.... To me it's just a bad clone of Red Robin.
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14636 posts
11851 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Manatus wrote: So at the time I read this, and as someone who lived in Ottawa about a decade ago, I thought "hey now, The Works is a good place".

I think it’s a case of another company that expanded ... franchised out
Then lost the “bits” that made them good to begin with

There are now 27 locations (got to admit a bit mind blown when I read that number)
The vast majority a far ways off from where it all began in Ottawa

Most of them ... 19 are in Southern Ontario
Around the horseshoe ... Ajax thru London, and Barrie to Niagara

The other 8 ...
1 in Kingston, and 7 still in the Ottawa area

I think the Kingston & Ottawa ones are pretty true to the original concept

Those further away ... less motivation to carry on the vision

To be honest, I haven’t been to one in Southern Ontario
When I get down that way ... I’d rather eat something I cannot get here in Eastern Ontario

But ... based on all the threads I have read
Seems to me that The Works WEST experience is quite different from The Works EAST
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4068 posts
4590 upvotes
GTA
Restaurants/bars are closing everywhere, so their equipment suppliers must be hurting bad....

Russell Hendrix Restaurant Equipment & Supplies should be on death watch. With so many restos closing, any surviving/new restaurant that needs equipment will have access to a huge supply of used, no need to buy new.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6769 posts
1261 upvotes
Scarborough
Kfox wrote: Restaurants/bars are closing everywhere, so their equipment suppliers must be hurting bad....

Russell Hendrix Restaurant Equipment & Supplies should be on death watch. With so many restos closing, any surviving/new restaurant that needs equipment will have access to a huge supply of used, no need to buy new.
Yup anything that is operated at reduced capacity (forced) for months without an end in sight is bound to get into financial trouble and face closure/bankruptcy. Restaurants were barely full on weekends to make some money now its 50% or less and all these costs to clean deep and sanitize and masks and all.....just not worth it, plus the price increases

With people on edge snd nobody anymore certain with job security, people gonna tighten up more and more. Not looking good!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12967 upvotes
Kfox wrote: Restaurants/bars are closing everywhere, so their equipment suppliers must be hurting bad....

I mean... this was always true. Restaurants churn all the time so there's never a shortage of used equipment.

COVID isn't helping Russell, but I don't think this will end them. People are still opening new restaurants with new equipment just not as much as they did.
Dec 18, 2017
920 posts
521 upvotes
London, On
Sitting here trying to think of any restaurants around me that have closed and I can't really think of any. Certainly not getting the impression that there are more than the usual number anyway. I wonder what kind of equipment those that are closing have? Anything worthwhile or is it older less desirable stuff? A friend of mine that used to run a used restaurant equipment shop (which he sold about 10 years ago and retired, so maybe current trends are different) said most of his business was existing independent restaurants upgrading from old to not as old, and that it was very rare he sold used to a new restaurant opening up. And those new places that he did sell used to were small mom and pop diners that were essentially paying with cash to get into business. The larger format places where they were spending half a million or more to set up a restaurant would just add new equipment into their overall debt load on the place. And as he said "like most things, credit is cheaper and easier to obtain on new".
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13121 posts
7200 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Anybody who actually likes Boston Pizza's garbage pizza can get an identical product at Little Caesar's for 1/3 the price and not have to leave a tip....then again I think Little Caesar's Hot and Ready uses more cheese and sauce than Boston Pizza...

Boston Pizza, Tim Horton's and Swiss Chalet -- Canadian complacency at its best/worst. Serve overpriced crap but we keep paying for it and eating it because it's the "patriotic" thing to do.
amen
Sep 16, 2020
14 posts
6 upvotes
Le Chateau.
I’m genuinely surprised it’s still around, especially considering most of their merchandise is overpriced and designs are out dated. In fact, I would’ve thought they would’ve left along with Club Monaco.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3296 upvotes
Sales at Tim Hortons have plummeted and the numbers are brutal — here are five ways to fix it
https://www.thestar.com/business/opinio ... rants.html

Big menu full of horrible options, messed up contest program, no love for seniors, long lineups and no interest in implementing coffee-only express lines, leaky cups, too many outlets and Restaurant Brands International is focusing on foreign expansion instead of fixing the 5 year decline of the brand here in Canada.

There are more than 5 things wrong with this company.

Tim Hortons strength is harnessing the coffee culture where 10 people rise from their desks at once to check out and hold a conference on purchasing coffee. After a poll of all present, one person goes out on the company dime to stand in line with all the other unhappy office workers and then the conference reconvenes in the office when they get back so they can hand out coffee. There is already free coffee in every office. People are paying $50 a month for the right to check out of work mentally for a period every day. This is a negative coffee culture that employers need to stop by building a healthier culture at the workplace. It is a daily work stoppage strike. People do it when the office culture is bad and everybody wants to band together and get away from it. If offices had better cultures everybody would drink the damn coffee they had there.

When your business model is based on the idea that everyone will be stably unhappy forever, it buts you at a lot of risk. COVID happened and people found working from home is not really that bad. Maybe they are not going to be as big on white grievance coffee clubs if the culture of their workplace improves?

I want to see coffee strikes disappear and office cultures improve and the death of Tim Hortons will not bring us there. The death of Tim Hortons is going to happen when people reject working in an office because of the culture there. Office worker behaviour shifts first, Tim Hortons dies second and this is a necessary thing, it is part of the healing.

RIP Tim Hortons.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4381 posts
3910 upvotes
lecale wrote: Sales at Tim Hortons have plummeted and the numbers are brutal — here are five ways to fix it

Big menu full of horrible options, messed up contest program, no love for seniors, long lineups and no interest in implementing coffee-only express lines, leaky cups, too many outlets and Restaurant Brands International is focusing on foreign expansion instead of fixing the 5 year decline of the brand here in Canada.

Tim Hortons strength is harnessing the coffee culture where 10 people rise from their desks at once to check out and hold a conference on purchasing coffee. After a poll of all present, one person goes out on the company dime to stand in line with all the other unhappy office workers and then the conference reconvenes in the office when they get back so they can hand out coffee. There is already free coffee in every office. People are paying $50 a month for the right to check out of work mentally for a period every day. This is a negative coffee culture that employers need to stop by building a healthier culture at the workplace. It is a daily work stoppage strike. People do it when the office culture is bad and everybody wants to band together and get away from it. If offices had better cultures everybody would drink the damn coffee they had there.

When your business model is based on the idea that everyone will be stably unhappy forever, it buts you at a lot of risk. COVID happened and people found working from home is not really that bad. Maybe they are not going to be as big on white grievance coffee clubs if the culture of their workplace improves?

I want to see coffee strikes disappear and office cultures improve and the death of Tim Hortons will not bring us there. The death of Tim Hortons is going to happen when people reject working in an office because of the culture there. Office worker behaviour shifts first, Tim Hortons dies second and this is a necessary thing, it is part of the healing.

RIP Tim Hortons.
Already have an entire thread about that very article, here:

toronto-star-column-about-tim-hortons-failures-2401468/
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
2229 posts
1260 upvotes
Ottawa
lecale wrote: Sales at Tim Hortons have plummeted and the numbers are brutal — here are five ways to fix it

RIP Tim Hortons.
I like your analysis. My workplace had a K-cup machine but people would still go to Timmy's for a coffee. Work From Home is different nail in the coffin. Tim Hortons should be selling big bags at Costco.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)