Shopping Discussion

Which retailer in Canada will go bankrupt next?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2020 10:16 pm

Poll: Which canadian retailer will go bankrupt next?

• Total votes: 717. You have voted on this poll.
Aldo

10%
Le Chateau

35%
Lowe's

5%
The Source

21%
Canada Computers

6%
Home Hardware

4%
The Brick

6%
Léon's

4%
Winners

2%
Staples

7%
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8988 posts
3322 upvotes
HghSsociety wrote: would love to read but its behind a paywall
You mean the Star article on Timmies not the CBC one right? lol

PM'd you.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1087 posts
1099 upvotes
lecale wrote: You mean the Star article on Timmies not the CBC one right? lol

PM'd you.
Got it,

Thank You
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8284 posts
3743 upvotes
Markham
I wouldn't call social networking or take a coffee break as laziness or work stoppages. For some, yes. But from what i see in my department, I wouldn't go that far
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2428 posts
2060 upvotes
GTA
lecale wrote: Sales at Tim Hortons have plummeted and the numbers are brutal — here are five ways to fix it
https://www.thestar.com/business/opinio ... rants.html

Big menu full of horrible options, messed up contest program, no love for seniors, long lineups and no interest in implementing coffee-only express lines, leaky cups, too many outlets and Restaurant Brands International is focusing on foreign expansion instead of fixing the 5 year decline of the brand here in Canada.

There are more than 5 things wrong with this company.

Tim Hortons strength is harnessing the coffee culture where 10 people rise from their desks at once to check out and hold a conference on purchasing coffee. After a poll of all present, one person goes out on the company dime to stand in line with all the other unhappy office workers and then the conference reconvenes in the office when they get back so they can hand out coffee. There is already free coffee in every office. People are paying $50 a month for the right to check out of work mentally for a period every day. This is a negative coffee culture that employers need to stop by building a healthier culture at the workplace. It is a daily work stoppage strike. People do it when the office culture is bad and everybody wants to band together and get away from it. If offices had better cultures everybody would drink the damn coffee they had there.

When your business model is based on the idea that everyone will be stably unhappy forever, it buts you at a lot of risk. COVID happened and people found working from home is not really that bad. Maybe they are not going to be as big on white grievance coffee clubs if the culture of their workplace improves?

I want to see coffee strikes disappear and office cultures improve and the death of Tim Hortons will not bring us there. The death of Tim Hortons is going to happen when people reject working in an office because of the culture there. Office worker behaviour shifts first, Tim Hortons dies second and this is a necessary thing, it is part of the healing.

RIP Tim Hortons.
Very few of the offices I worked at had free coffee. I've also been in offices that used a coffee service or K-cups both of which aren't good in my opinion. I don't like Tim's but I would go somewhere else to get a good coffee.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2297 posts
1883 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
tew wrote: Very few of the offices I worked at had free coffee. I've also been in offices that used a coffee service or K-cups both of which aren't good in my opinion. I don't like Tim's but I would go somewhere else to get a good coffee.
Not an office but when I worked for Loblaws we had free coffee :/
I like credit unions and Honda Civics.
Member with DUCA Credit Union.
Oct 27, 2012
839 posts
809 upvotes
Toronto
With another round of shutdowns, this thread should have some more activity...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5597 posts
2787 upvotes
Mississauga
Except the newest shutdowns have nothing to do with retailers.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8284 posts
3743 upvotes
Markham
jacnel wrote: Not an office but when I worked for Loblaws we had free coffee :/
How much discount did you get when you purchase in loblaws store?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8284 posts
3743 upvotes
Markham
mrweather wrote: Except the newest shutdowns have nothing to do with retailers.
Of course it's. The government and top doctors literally said just go out for essential stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5597 posts
2787 upvotes
Mississauga
It’s a recommendation not an order.
Dec 18, 2017
916 posts
519 upvotes
London, On
Sure, the current "phase 2-light" in parts of Ontario and whatever restrictions other areas are putting in aren't directed at retail directly. But I think the large increase in cases can have a drag on retail spending in stores, so that can't be a good thing for some already hurting chains. Especially ones not really suited to online, or haven't (for some reason) beefed up their online capability in the last half year.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8284 posts
3743 upvotes
Markham
mrweather wrote: It’s a recommendation not an order.
You don't need order to influence people's behaviour. Sometimes you just need tweet ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2297 posts
1883 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
smartie wrote: How much discount did you get when you purchase in loblaws store?
Loblaws employees get a 10% discount at all Loblaw owned stores (Loblaws, Zehrs, Superstore) after 6 months of service. Excludes pharmacy.
I like credit unions and Honda Civics.
Member with DUCA Credit Union.