Shopping Discussion

Retailers easing up on Covid restrictions/regulations lately?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2020 6:41 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2189 posts
676 upvotes

Retailers easing up on Covid restrictions/regulations lately?

I noticed during my shopping over the last few days (particularly CTC and Wal-Mart) that it looks like a lot of the Covid restrictions put in place seem to have been eased up on quite a bit.

Things of note include way more people allowed in the store (compared to before), self-checkouts now all open (before every other one was closed for 'distancing'), and of course, Wal-Mart is now charging for bags after not doing so for quite a bit.

Anyone else encounter the same over the past few days?
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8088 posts
4477 upvotes
Alberta
Noticed this since Alberta opened on the 1st phase. On the 2nd phase, it’s almost back to normal with the stores that are open. Huge decrease in people wearing masks and nobody social distances anymore. Only real difference is you see the plastic shields that are put up.
Feb 3, 2019
146 posts
96 upvotes
GTA
Noticed the same thing too. There are no more lines when shopping on weekdays and most retailers don’t even have anyone counting who’s coming in and out anymore. There’s no cleaning of carts ect and Some places don’t even have hand sanitizer anymore
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
Costco didn't even have the concrete barriers up for a line anymore.

Yes it was a zoo.
Dec 18, 2017
932 posts
527 upvotes
London, On
I was at Home Depot a week ago on the Sunday and noticed no line up (which is why I went in, thought I caught a break). Stood in a long line at the garden centre and I mentioned to the clerk that I came in because I saw no line. She said "Oh we aren't doing the line anymore, it's too much of a hassle, people can police themselves".
Sep 5, 2017
435 posts
228 upvotes
Loblaws has reinstated their click and collect fees too. I'm immune compromised so I'm still on personal lockdown. Kind of cruel that I have to pay for that with that being the reason...
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1950 posts
1872 upvotes
winner2000 wrote: Wal-Mart is now charging for bags after not doing so for quite a bit.
And they still do not allow reusable bags.
Forcing to buy plastic bags seems unreasonable...
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1115 posts
630 upvotes
NOYB
Dreamrider wrote: And they still do not allow reusable bags.
Forcing to buy plastic bags seems unreasonable...
Cart your purchase out of the store and then bag it?
Zoomer + VoIP.ms user

Stay away from OT/PRC and whoever acts like an xxxxxxx there.
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2004
5280 posts
1285 upvotes
Toronto
winner2000 wrote: I noticed during my shopping over the last few days (particularly CTC and Wal-Mart) that it looks like a lot of the Covid restrictions put in place seem to have been eased up on quite a bit.

Things of note include way more people allowed in the store (compared to before), self-checkouts now all open (before every other one was closed for 'distancing'), and of course, Wal-Mart is now charging for bags after not doing so for quite a bit.

Anyone else encounter the same over the past few days?
Yep - have been noticing that at grocery stores too. Feels great.

Overall very good news... it's nice to see things getting back to normal. I think for the hypochondriacs and the fearful however this will probably be unwelcome.
Jun 11, 2020
24 posts
59 upvotes
Good. There hasn't been a single example anywhere in the entire world of a grocery store or drug store linked to a community outbreaks. All those measures were theatre performed mainly for the benefit of scared Karens.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14290 posts
1167 upvotes
Jhanton wrote: Good. There hasn't been a single example anywhere in the entire world of a grocery store or drug store linked to a community outbreaks. All those measures were theatre performed mainly for the benefit of scared Karens.
Source?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Jun 4, 2018
298 posts
193 upvotes
Windsor/Essex Ontari…
Well I went to Staples for curbside service and when I asked them to put the item in the back seat they refused. Said they could put it in the trunk, ok, thats good. I pop the trunk and the guy places my item in it and walks away. When I ask him to close the trunk he refuses.
Iwould have been fine with it if he explained that in the first place as I then would have just done it myself. Either do it right, or not at all but the halfway thing is just bull,shit.
Nov 18, 2012
219 posts
156 upvotes
Oshawa
Home Depot in Richmond Hill on Red Maple Drive has 14 employee's who tested positive for Covid-19. It's all over the news today. With easing of restrictions and retailers not mandating their employees to wear masks is a little irresponsible . You wonder how many 'shoppers' who have visited that store and interacted with 1 of the 14 people now sick could also be at risk to get sick and pass it on to family or others. Home Depot is customer oriented and in the name of customer service they certainly did not offer good customer service by not having all employee's wear masks to help prevent the spread of Covid-19. My visit to H.D. a week ago in Whitby I didn't see one employee with a mask on. I am assuming there is no directive from Home Depot head office for employees to put on a mask or even supply one for them. Any good business that is open to the public should have their employees set an example and wear a mask and encourage shoppers in the store to wear one too. This outbreak is another example of how NOT to do things. I am hoping the 14 employees are ok at this location. Maybe going forward Management at stores like Home Depot will require masks on the employee to help fight this disease. https://www.cp24.com/news/14-workers-at ... -1.4986215
Public Mobile
Koodo
Zoomer Wireless