• Sep 3rd, 2019 7:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9290 posts
10837 upvotes
Vancouver

Retailers retaining credit card info

I returned something at Home Depot recently. I pulled out my credit card, customer service says they don't need it, they already have my credit card information stored from when the purchase was made, so they'll just credit the account back.

I really don't like retailers holding onto my credit card information after I've made a purchase. How many retailers have been hacked of this information now? They don't need it. And to say it's for my own convenience (like the return scenario above), sorry I just don't buy it.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15120 posts
16096 upvotes
Oakville
Kiraly wrote: I returned something at Home Depot recently. I pulled out my credit card, customer service says they don't need it, they already have my credit card information stored from when the purchase was made, so they'll just credit the account back.

I really don't like retailers holding onto my credit card information after I've made a purchase. How many retailers have been hacked of this information now? They don't need it. And to say it's for my own convenience (like the return scenario above), sorry I just don't buy it.
They all store it, so the only way to avoid is to use cash.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1389 posts
553 upvotes
Toronto
Typically they aren't literally storing your personal account information (CC Number, Name, Exp date, etc) but rather after your first purchase that data is encrypted as a token. In many cases, the retailer does not actually have any PIIs on you based only from the credit card transaction. All the retailer know what to do is to match the token from the original sale to return it to the same token.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15120 posts
16096 upvotes
Oakville
Kiraly wrote: Why? What’s the point? After they’ve been paid they no longer need it.
Because they use your purchasing habits to better predict what to stock, how to advertise to you, etc. There's plenty of info about it if you do a Google search.
The credit card companies are also storing all of your purchases to sell to marketers as well.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Why? What’s the point? After they’ve been paid they no longer need it.
Convenience.

Also I'm pretty sure Home Depot has been hacked.
bst wrote: Typically they aren't literally storing your personal account information (CC Number, Name, Exp date, etc) but rather after your first purchase that data is encrypted as a token.
You'd hope anyway....
There is exceptions.

Source: Saw my full credit card details in plain text at a certain popular but now bankrupt computer retailer.
Aug 5, 2005
457 posts
242 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I returned something at Home Depot recently. I pulled out my credit card, customer service says they don't need it, they already have my credit card information stored from when the purchase was made, so they'll just credit the account back.

This is another of many reasons why roughly every year I change my CC number, though the stupid part to do such you have to report your CC as stolen or lost, most places wouldn't give you a new card unless you do such first
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1389 posts
553 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Convenience.

Also I'm pretty sure Home Depot has been hacked.

You'd hope anyway....
There is exceptions.

Source: Saw my full credit card details in plain text at a certain popular but now bankrupt computer retailer.
Yes of course if retailers are adhering to PCI standards then that obviously wouldn’t be the case. There will always be someone doing things improperly. To fully ensure anonymity cash is the only viable option.
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
133 posts
271 upvotes
$n00ker wrote: This is another of many reasons why roughly every year I change my CC number, though the stupid part to do such you have to report your CC as stolen or lost, most places wouldn't give you a new card unless you do such first
How many times have you done this? Wouldn't they flag your CC if you report it after a few times? They would clearly find it suspicious that you are constantly "losing" your CC.
Aug 5, 2005
457 posts
242 upvotes
StrangeThings wrote: How many times have you done this? Wouldn't they flag your CC if you report it after a few times? They would clearly find it suspicious that you are constantly "losing" your CC.
Actually not, I usually do it once a year and here the thing I have asked them if I could just change my CC number they told me the only way is to report it stolen or lost, she even said most people usually report it lost. I said to her seriously and she laughed like it happens all the time. Maybe many do lose them but still, I was kinda surprised by what she said
If they thumb you down I will up it just because