Cell Phones

Retaining Loyalty Plan With Virgin Mobile?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2016 9:45 am
[OP]
May 30, 2016
9 posts
Kitcherner, Ontario

Retaining Loyalty Plan With Virgin Mobile?

My 2 year contract is up, and I'm looking to upgrade my Galaxy S4 to the S7, but even with the loyalty options they want me to pay an extra $15 per month for far fewer services. I've already started the process of trying to haggle, which I had a lot of success with when I renewed last time (same plan, but around $55/mo IIRC), but they don't seem to be budging this time around. For what it's worth, I'm in the GTA and I've been with them for over 5 years. I've read both good and bad things about people getting loyalty deals, but everything I've read is a little older now. Ideally I would like to keep my plan and get the Gold discount on a new phone. So basically, has anyone had any luck with Virgin Mobile and retaining their legacy/loyalty plan while also getting the corresponding discount on a new phone, or do I just have a pipe dream here? I guess my concern is that with phone plans becoming more and more pricey (read: useless) in Canada, I'm starting to feel like I should hold on mine for dear life.

Current Plan (Loyalty Gold $60/mo):
2 GB data
Unlimited Talk & Text Nationwide

Offered Plan (Loyalty Platinum $85/mo):
1 GB data
Unlimited Text
1000 Anytime Minutes
18 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20639 posts
2043 upvotes
Toronto
Hold on your plan for dear life...monthly plan costs are going up (not down) and include less.

This is happening with the big 3 carriers and their sub-brands.

Only other options for a better priced plan with data is to get a corporate plan (if you have access to via your work) or get a "grey area" plan like Koodo's SK/MB plan.

Just buy your phone outright and keep your monthly plan
[OP]
May 30, 2016
9 posts
Kitcherner, Ontario
Yeah, I guess I'm just amazed at how cruddy the plans have become over the past 2 years. You lock in and are happy and oblivious to the changes going on, then when you're ready to get back in to it, you see a much bleaker situation. I was just seeing how much I should push on VM.
Aug 27, 2011
51 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
TheXyPod wrote: Yeah, I guess I'm just amazed at how cruddy the plans have become over the past 2 years. You lock in and are happy and oblivious to the changes going on, then when you're ready to get back in to it, you see a much bleaker situation. I was just seeing how much I should push on VM.
I had a loyalty plan from 4 years ago and recently left after they couldn't budge on anything good. They even increased my plan by $4/mo
[OP]
May 30, 2016
9 posts
Kitcherner, Ontario
Did they increase it while you were month to month? Is that a thing they can do? What plan/who did you end up with in the end?
Aug 27, 2011
51 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
TheXyPod wrote: Did they increase it while you were month to month? Is that a thing they can do? What plan/who did you end up with in the end?
Apparently on the PDF of my bill, they notified me 6 months prior (like anyone reads the fine print).

I gave up my 6GB plan which was increased to $64/mo to join the grey Koodo MB/SK plan ($48)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
5001 posts
1097 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
TheXyPod wrote: My 2 year contract is up, and I'm looking to upgrade my Galaxy S4 to the S7, but even with the loyalty options they want me to pay an extra $15 per month for far fewer services. I've already started the process of trying to haggle, which I had a lot of success with when I renewed last time (same plan, but around $55/mo IIRC), but they don't seem to be budging this time around. For what it's worth, I'm in the GTA and I've been with them for over 5 years. I've read both good and bad things about people getting loyalty deals, but everything I've read is a little older now. Ideally I would like to keep my plan and get the Gold discount on a new phone. So basically, has anyone had any luck with Virgin Mobile and retaining their legacy/loyalty plan while also getting the corresponding discount on a new phone, or do I just have a pipe dream here? I guess my concern is that with phone plans becoming more and more pricey (read: useless) in Canada, I'm starting to feel like I should hold on mine for dear life.

Current Plan (Loyalty Gold $60/mo):
2 GB data
Unlimited Talk & Text Nationwide

Offered Plan (Loyalty Platinum $85/mo):
1 GB data
Unlimited Text
1000 Anytime Minutes
If they will give you the s7 for 0$ plan will be $60 monthly and your data usage is below 2gb that's a deal.

Freedom Mobile

[OP]
May 30, 2016
9 posts
Kitcherner, Ontario
I should've specified... But no, the discount they were offering coincided with the discount you get in each respective 2 year contract with the S7. (http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/phones/ph ... Black//SP9)

$60/mo is my current plan, but they're saying with an upgrade I have to switch to the Platinum plan listed in my original post, or an even worse Gold plan.
Jul 18, 2015
260 posts
85 upvotes
Petawawa, ON
TheXyPod wrote: I should've specified... But no, the discount they were offering coincided with the discount you get in each respective 2 year contract with the S7. (http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/phones/ph ... Black//SP9)

$60/mo is my current plan, but they're saying with an upgrade I have to switch to the Platinum plan listed in my original post, or an even worse Gold plan.
I'm in the same boat as you.
I want to change my iPhone 5S to something like a 6. I was told NO, you have to buy the phone outright. Then put the sim into the phone.
They are not willing to give you a cheaper plan as it doesn't cover the subsidy if the phone after the 2 year contract.

Yes it sucks to pay for the phone $600+ (depends on your make and model) but you will save money before that 2 year contract would be finished.
Also, switch to a BYOP plan - a few bucks cheaper.
[OP]
May 30, 2016
9 posts
Kitcherner, Ontario
canny19 wrote: Also, switch to a BYOP plan - a few bucks cheaper.
The BYOP 2GB Unlimited plan is 80$, unless I'm missing something.

I guess when I renewed last time the loyalty plans were close enough to market that they were still able to offer something somewhat worthwhile. It would be awesome to be able to keep the loyalty gold plan I have and just get the gold $500 off discount. Ah well, looks like I've got some shopping around to do.
Jul 18, 2015
260 posts
85 upvotes
Petawawa, ON
TheXyPod wrote: The BYOP 2GB Unlimited plan is 80$, unless I'm missing something.

I guess when I renewed last time the loyalty plans were close enough to market that they were still able to offer something somewhat worthwhile. It would be awesome to be able to keep the loyalty gold plan I have and just get the gold $500 off discount. Ah well, looks like I've got some shopping around to do.
I'm in ON..... this is the page that I'm looking at:
http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans/det ... tpaid/byop

1000 Minutes & 2 GB
$60/MO

UNLIMITED Minutes & 1 GB
$60/MO

UNLIMITED Minutes & 2 GB
$70/MO

I don't think that they will budge.
I switch my plan last Black Friday (November 2015):

My plan BYOP 62 2GB + Bonus Data - 1GB ($62.00/mo.)

Unlimited Canada to Intl. SMS
Standard LD Rate (to U.S. & CAN)
Call Display
myPeeps (vm.ca/mypeeps)
Smartphone Data -2 GB
Txt & Pic msg to Can & US
Unlimited anytime minutes
Voicemail 3
Canada-Wide Calling
Unlimited Incoming Text

I'm not giving it up.
[OP]
May 30, 2016
9 posts
Kitcherner, Ontario
Oh weird. I went to "Change My Plan" in the My Account section and the prices are completely different. This is what shows for me:

Jul 18, 2015
260 posts
85 upvotes
Petawawa, ON
I would call Virgin again and see if you can get a loyalty plan or something similar.
The advertised plans on their site are going to be more money a month with less features than you currently have.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
5001 posts
1097 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
canny19 wrote: I would call Virgin again and see if you can get a loyalty plan or something similar.
The advertised plans on their site are going to be more money a month with less features than you currently have.
Didn't get any loyalty plan they said I already have the best plan.

Freedom Mobile