• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2019 2:15 am
[OP]
Apr 18, 2011
9 posts
6 upvotes

Retroactive reduction of wholesale rates by CRTC

Hello,
Please note that the CRTC has ruled last thursday and reduced wholesale internet prices. This is a further reduction from the interim prices that the CRTC set in 2016. The complete order can be read here - https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2019/2019-288.htm .
These reduced prices are retroactive as well.

If you wish to get reduced rates from your ISPs, please contact your respective ISPs and ask them about retroactive reduced rates.

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9819 posts
1926 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Most isps will likely have new prices in the coming weeks. I know Teksavvy is working on new rates currently. They will pass on the savings to their customers as they have in the past.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5733 posts
2433 upvotes
Sad as it seems, still going to be cheaper with the Rogers promos.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2647 posts
841 upvotes
Windsor
badOne wrote: Sad as it seems, still going to be cheaper with the Rogers promos.
Well, if you ignore the value of your time, maybe.

For example, no matter what promo my local cable company has, TekSavvy is always cheaper (apparently this is currently not the case with Rogers, though I expect their promo rates are still higher than everyday TekSavvy rates still, since their current promos assuredly account for the new rates that they are assuredly already privy to). But with TekSavvy, if rates go down (which has happened twice), my Internet costs go down. In the case of this current ruling, there is even a chance I'll get a retroactive discount; who knows. No need to call TekSavvy, deal with the retention team, get a hold of billing because the retention team didn't apply the discount properly, etc etc. Might not be your experience, but it is the experience of a number of my personal friends, especially with Rogers/Bell ... the latter notably worse.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5999 posts
939 upvotes
Scarborough
Is Start going to reduce prices as well?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
4205 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
apnayloags wrote: Is Start going to reduce prices as well?
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32480 ... rnet-rates

Thanks, it's been a long time coming but things are in good shape for competition in Canada again. We're still assessing the changes and will have to rebuild our cost models, etc but it will undoubtedly result in better packages, with faster speeds at better prices. There is still a chance of appeals or challenges, but the Commission really took their time and was quite throughout in their decision, using fact-based evidence, to have sound justification behind all the numbers.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
32309 posts
3134 upvotes
Winnipeg
i don't know how to read the rate table but it appears the reseller lowered their rates