Automotive

Retrofitting Carplay into older vehicles?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2020 2:11 pm
[OP]
Feb 16, 2016
631 posts
233 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario

Retrofitting Carplay into older vehicles?

I love my 2013 ML350 but my navigation map is outdated and MB wants an arm and a leg to update the maps. I like Waze and unfortunately, my vehicle is too old so it didn't come with the OEM Carplay. I've found some videos online where they sell some units that give you Carplay while using the OEM screen, microphone, controls, etc.

Some examples (please delete if not allowed to post)

https://www.joyeauto.com/product/merced ... -solution/

Update. I found a YouTube video that shows how to install it so I'll probably tackle this thing myself if I decide to order it.

Thanks!
Last edited by Potrice on Jun 16th, 2020 10:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
9 replies
Sep 4, 2006
946 posts
574 upvotes
Ottawa
This is one of those things that you will want to join a forum for your specific car, and follow a detailed how to that someone has done. The forum members will also have advice on where and what to buy, and install tips.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28799 posts
9289 upvotes
Is that video a retrofit of newer MB equipment or is this just using the China Android type stuff to replace the OEM stuff? In the former case the stuff will be pricey but if there's proper retrofit capability it will work well given it's factory stuff. In the latter case, it's gonna be nice and cheap but be advised things like QC, reliability, and sound quality with those no-name/off-branded China jobbies usually leave a lot to be desired.

Annnd just looking at the link it looks like it's the latter case. The good news is it's on the lower cost side. Personally I'd rather see if there was the ability to fit a standard double-DIN in there and go with an aftermarket unit from Kenwood, Pioneer, etc. but up to you. There may not even be the ability to put a standard double-DIN anyway so again the no-name stuff may be your only choice for what you're looking for.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2016
631 posts
233 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
Update. I found a YouTube video that shows how to install it so I'll probably tackle this thing myself if I decide to order it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6370 posts
4986 upvotes

Here's a more detail how to. It's one of those Chinese units.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2016
631 posts
233 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
Xtrema wrote:

Here's a more detail how to. It's one of those Chinese units.
Yes I just found it as well! I might install it myself if I decide to pull the trigger. It doesn't seem that complicated and it hides behind the temperature controls for a nice hidden/clean finish.
Sep 21, 2015
152 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Potrice wrote: Yes I just found it as well! I might install it myself if I decide to pull the trigger. It doesn't seem that complicated and it hides behind the temperature controls for a nice hidden/clean finish.
let me know how it goes, looking into doing it to a bmw next year. Seen someone on kijiji do it to theirs and asked about it, they said it costs 1k just for the equipment... Part of me just wants to get an ipad and some velcro to slap it on whenever I need it.
I know bmws have their drive mode select thru the infotainment and worried might loose that.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28799 posts
9289 upvotes
SaugaDealz wrote: Part of me just wants to get an ipad and some velcro to slap it on whenever I need it.
That part of you should apply for a job with the interior design division at Mercedes! Seriously this is the ghetto shit they're doing with their cars now :lol: Who knows, maybe in a year or two you'll get promoted to Chief of Interior Design with that kind of thinking! ;)
[OP]
Feb 16, 2016
631 posts
233 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
Ordered a Road Top unit from AliExpress for my w166 (2013 MB ML350 Bluetec) and the installation was a breeze (took me about 40 mins). The seller was very good with his messages and answering all of my questions promptly. I highly recommend getting one for your car. No need to pay 150-200$ every year to update the OEM navigation! I just use Carplay with Waze now and it’s awesome.

C$ 350.83 20% Off | Wireless CarPlay for Mercedes Benz ML GL W166 X166 2012-2015, with Android Auto Mirror Link AirPlay Car Play Functions
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dS8T7hC

Installation for my model was pretty easy. I just followed this video.

Also people on the mbworld forums were pretty helpful.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212 ... 4-7-a.html
[OP]
Feb 16, 2016
631 posts
233 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
SaugaDealz wrote: let me know how it goes, looking into doing it to a bmw next year. Seen someone on kijiji do it to theirs and asked about it, they said it costs 1k just for the equipment... Part of me just wants to get an ipad and some velcro to slap it on whenever I need it.
I know bmws have their drive mode select thru the infotainment and worried might loose that.
I pulled the trigger and installed one myself. For my model, it was extremely easy. I highly recommend it!