Shopping Discussion

Return policy at Lastman’s Bad Boy.... buyer beware. Can you advise?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2020 7:49 pm
[OP]
Newbie
May 11, 2016
20 posts
15 upvotes
Ontario
krs wrote: I don't really understand any of your comments.
For one, the OP has a bluetooth soundbar, so I don't know why you say "there ARE bluetooth soundbars" the OP knows that already
And "why you fought for a refund of the soundbar made no sense. why not just keep it since you had concerns about the sound quality of the tv speakers" - the OP wants a refund because the bluetooth sound bar can't connect to the TV since it is not Bluetooth compatible (although the OP could spend another $30 to $60" to get a bluetooth domgle for the TV)
And "bad boy furniture just scored a free bonus from you with the 25% restocking fee scam they pull" - at this point Bad Boy didn't score anything since the OP said that the manager offered to take the sound bar back for a 25% restocking fee, not that the OP actually returned it.

I agree with you, a wire connection is definitely better than a bluetooth connection, with Bluetooth not only is the quality not that great, some devices also have a noticable latency problem.
I don't know which sound bar the OP bought, but wouldn't most Bluetooth sound bars also have a normal wired input?
I have some inexpensive Bluetooth mini-speakers with only cost between $20 and $30 and they all have an audio input jack as well.
Thanks. Have not returned it. Waiting for customer service to call me back - like waiting for Godot! Want to have a decent argument if I Contact BBB and consumer protection Ontario. The law clearly states that companies can have a no refund policy however not if the customer was deceived with false information, This issue is not about how to solve the connection from the sound bar to the TV - it is about not getting what I was sold - a sound bar which connected by Bluetooth to the TV he just sold me. Deception by a salesman - the company representative - should not be acceptable by any standard.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4330 posts
5023 upvotes
Toronto, ON
That salesman has potential, what the heck is he doing at a furniture store?? He'd be a star at a car dealership.

OP, just keep nagging them on their social media pages, call their head office, you'll eventually get your money back. A sound bar is cheap.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5795 posts
966 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
hedych wrote: Thanks. Have not returned it. Waiting for customer service to call me back - like waiting for Godot! Want to have a decent argument if I Contact BBB and consumer protection Ontario. The law clearly states that companies can have a no refund policy however not if the customer was deceived with false information, This issue is not about how to solve the connection from the sound bar to the TV - it is about not getting what I was sold - a sound bar which connected by Bluetooth to the TV he just sold me. Deception by a salesman - the company representative - should not be acceptable by any standard.
I don't know all the details of the transaction, ie were there any witnesses to your conversation with the sales person, but the way I see it from your description it's your word against theirs.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8426 posts
2251 upvotes
Mississauga
It is easy to blame the salesman in any situation that doesn't work in your favor. If I`m planning on spending good money on anything I research before I even enter a store. In a lot of cases you will know more than the salesperson especially buying electronics at a furniture store. You could of easily looked on the TV box and sound bar box to see of Bluetooth compatible.

Sorry it happened to you but lesson learned, I would start with customer service and if that goes nowhere contact global tv.

Another option is to get badboy`s to supply you with one of their $150.00 fancy cables and hook the sound bar up to your tv.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 1, 2006
6653 posts
5663 upvotes
Toronto
hedych wrote: On Thursday I bought a 58”Tv, a Tv stand and a Samsung Soundbar at Bad Boy in North York. I bought the sound bar because I was told by the salesman it was Bluetooth compatible with the TV I was buying and would solve my issue with cables and connecting wires. Set up TV on Thursday and had to pick up sound bar from their warehouse on Friday. Turns out the sound bar will not connect via Bluetooth as the TV is not Bluetooth compatible. I know their policy of final sale ... however I only bought the sound bar trusting the salesman’s statement the it would work as he promised. On Saturday I called both the store and customer service asking for a refund on the sound bar as it did not work as promised. Left three messages at the store for both the salesperson and the manager and neither returned my call (after I told the receptionist briefly the issue). And customer service told me the store manager had to deal with the issue. At 4 p.m. I went into the store as I felt it would be better to have a face to face discussion. In brief, the salesperson denied that he said that it would work wirelessly, that there was no such thing available on the market, the manager then reiterated the same and said they don’t take back used electronics, he then called his expert tech over who also said no such thing exists. I am not stupid and don’t MAKE UP what I heard, that is because I don’t understand how any of these things work, however my 30 year old son was with me and he does understand. While talking with the manager and tech they said that I had to prove that there were tv’s that could work with Bluetooth wirelessly so while on the phone with my son he sent me links from Samsung showing many models that do indeed works on Bluetooth just not the one we bought. Manager said you are looking at US website and Canadians models are different. I went onto the selling floor and asked my son to look up two other Samsung models on their sales floor and Voila, they both had Bluetooth. Went back to the tech and manager to tell the, ,then they twisted the story saying I should have checked, to which I replied I relied on the expertise of your staff, he sold me the tv and sound bar at the same time so there was no question he knew which tv we were dealing with. I left the store because after 2 hours the manager only agreed to a 25% restocking fee and I knew that I was getting nowhere with the staff their changing reasons why it was my fault. It felt so distasteful and dishonest. I will be calling head office on Monday and will focus on the fact that I was misinformed/mislead by their staff in buying an item which does not do as he ensured me it would. Any advise on how to simply tell head office with a good result - take back the unit. Now it is he said, she said....although their reasons changed with every counter argument I had. I just want to return the sound bar.
TLDR : Badboy salesman lies to gullible customer

Old news is old
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
12572 posts
7454 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Sales people are shady to begin with, never trust the sales person. Anywho, tell them you'll bring this to the media's attention if they don't rectify this.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Newbie
May 11, 2016
20 posts
15 upvotes
Ontario
Have just spoken to customer service who will speak to a senior manager and hopefully get back to me on Monday. She certainly seemed to understand the issue. I did not speak in paragraphs! Just difficult to be succinct when the story is not as straightforward as it may seem.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2013
1059 posts
676 upvotes
hedych wrote: Have just spoken to customer service who will speak to a senior manager and hopefully get back to me on Monday. She certainly seemed to understand the issue. I did not speak in paragraphs! Just difficult to be succinct when the story is not as straightforward as it may seem.
You do not think in paragraphs but it makes it much easier for the reader to view and digest what you are saying if you chop your thoughts into packets (paragraphs).

Yours is a very interesting important post but I had to force myself to read it. Almost made my eyes bleed. I had to fight to comprehend the content.
Please consider reposting with paragraphs so readers will be more inclined not to pass over the valuable information you shared to help others.

Good luck on Monday.
[OP]
Newbie
May 11, 2016
20 posts
15 upvotes
Ontario
Finally, after much perseverance was offered a full store credit for the amount. Took the offer because it was the best I felt they would do for me. Happy with the conclusion.
Newbie
May 10, 2020
1 posts
Hi Hedych! Can you help me? What number did you call? My husband and I purchased a fridge, stove, dishwasher and microwave on Feb 11 2020 (financing) with a $450 deposit. Nobody called us until March 6th to let us know it was ready and would be delivered in 2 weeks. COVID arrives and we here nothing from anybody. We finally get a call two weeks ago today and they said that they will get back to us to see if they can drop it off at our curb. Hear nothing from anybody. Finally decide (as we have no appliances) to go buy at Home Depot. Phone today to cancel order to be told that there is a no refund policy....WHAT?

We were never told that. I see it on the bill but this was never mentioned to us or we would not have signed up.....100% for sure never. Now they are saying we can have an in store credit of $3500. I have never in my life not been able to reutrn something of such a large value especially when we have not even received it yet.

Please help....
Newbie
Oct 2, 2018
9 posts
1 upvote
I wish I could be of more help. I ended up taking a full value store credit but it was nowhere the amount you are speaking about. I would just call their head office and as cool headedly as possible try to make your case. I would try to get them to agree that even though times are difficult now, you ended up waiting without hearing from them and were forced to buy elsewhere. They would not give me a refund. But February to May is totally unreasonable and I would call head office until you speak with someone as high up as you can go and if they don’t do more for you I would call BBB or https://www.ontario.ca/page/filing-consumer-complaint consumer protection Ontario government. Keep good notes about who you spoke to and when. Good luck, such an awful experience
Sr. Member
Dec 18, 2017
744 posts
397 upvotes
London, On
I'm surprised they didn't give you a delivery date when you purchased. We recently bought a sectional from them, and we booked the date right then. As it happened, they showed up on the first Saturday of April, and they couldn't get this thing in our house, and it's not like we have an old house with weird hallways or anything. They took it away and my wife finally called them about it and asked for a refund. They pointed out that all sales are final, which twigged something in my memory of the day we purchased. Sure enough, there was the invoice with her initial beside the all sales final. They said we could have a credit for full value. Of course, the store is closed, so it's tough to find something you like.

She also really liked the one we bought (I don't really care, I have my lazy boy, who cares what everyone else sits on lol). She decided she wanted this one back and we would figure out getting it in, even if we have to hire someone to come remove the patio door to give us a wide enough opening. Good luck getting through on the phone lol. I called today, I had an empty truck with me and figured if anyone was at the store I could swing by and get it in the truck, drop it in my garage and deal with it later. I got through on the phone, and of course, the thing was taken back to Toronto, but she said we could have it delivered tomorrow. Had to pay delivery again, which I guess is fine since it's not their fault they couldn't get it in the house. The thing that kept sitting in the back of my mind was, what if they go into bankruptcy during this whole thing, then what do we do? We didn't even finance the thing, we just paid for it. I told my wife I would just rather get it here and even if they have to leave it in the garage, at least we have it and we will find a way to get it in. Hopefully the crew that comes tomorrow isn't the same guys and they might have better luck finding that right angle to make up that quarter inch the last guys needed lol.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5795 posts
966 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
ChristineN78469 wrote: Phone today to cancel order to be told that there is a no refund policy....WHAT?

We were never told that. I see it on the bill but this was never mentioned to us or we would not have signed up.....100% for sure never. Now they are saying we can have an in store credit of $3500. I have never in my life not been able to reutrn something of such a large value especially when we have not even received it yet.
Unfortunately there is no obligation by the merchant to cancel the agreement or to take the merchandise back unless the product is defective (and then they are only obligated to fix it) or it specifically states that it can be returned for a defined period.

Hindsight is 20/20, but you should have sorted out the cancellation of your contract before buying at Home Depot.
I agree with Hedych - best you can do is go as high as possible in the company and hope for the best.
You can involve the BBB or Consumer Protection, but there is nothing really they could do either especially since the bill you received stated "No Returns"

Maybe consider sending the HD purchase back for a refund and taking the Bad Boy iutems instead - just a thought.

Hope things work out for you.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)