• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2021 12:30 pm
[OP]
Aug 21, 2010
699 posts
275 upvotes
toronto

returning amazon , is this essestial

my wife is one of those amazon shoppers,,and guess who is the shmuck who has to return her s hit to shoppers, amazon return..i
curious with stay at home orders coming thursday...is returning an amazon item essestial
- just trying to get out of returning her s hit
27 replies
Oct 3, 2015
692 posts
1280 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like you need to return your wife.
Nov 5, 2018
251 posts
210 upvotes
Putting aside the initial question - If you're confident that your label has printed correctly and will scan properly, you can dump your Amazon return in any Canada Post red mailbox (assuming it fits). It might add a day to the travel time, and will delay your refund a little but as it won't scan until it gets sorted out of the lettermail, but it will get there. I do this all the time, I'm not waiting in line at Shoppers so the world's slowest postal clerk can take my package.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5355 posts
2143 upvotes
Toronto
Catenary wrote: Putting aside the initial question - If you're confident that your label has printed correctly and will scan properly, you can dump your Amazon return in any Canada Post red mailbox (assuming it fits). It might add a day to the travel time, and will delay your refund a little but as it won't scan until it gets sorted out of the lettermail, but it will get there. I do this all the time, I'm not waiting in line at Shoppers so the world's slowest postal clerk can take my package.
For some reason, despite it never having gone wrong in probably 50 times, I remain scared that it will get lost in the mail and Amazon won't refund and I won't have a receipt to argue it.
Dec 6, 2018
59 posts
27 upvotes
I believe that Canada Post operates through lockdowns, so they should accept your package throughout this lockdown. I would also assume that locations that have a Canada Post inside them (like Shoppers) would have to maintain some sort of opening hours through this, if not just for Canada Post, but also for the pharmacy component they house.

Bottom line - I think you're still on the hook for returning her stuff :)
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1536 posts
898 upvotes
NOYB
Manatus wrote: For some reason, despite it never having gone wrong in probably 50 times, I remain scared that it will get lost in the mail and Amazon won't refund and I won't have a receipt to argue it.
Likewise.

Small value items, no worries.

Larger value ones? I will hold on to them till I have access to a postal outlet.
*Zoomer + VoIP.ms + Lucky Mobile + Public Mobile user* SPEND WISELY

Self banning from the PRC sub, after a member with civility was banned from it without reasonable cause since 11/09/2020
Apr 6, 2009
67 posts
13 upvotes
ontario canada
sometimes you have the option when selecting return either Canada Post or UPS drop off. I find the UPS drop off you find the drop off and it's usually at a convenience store and it takes all of 1 minute to drop it off and leave!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3366 posts
1982 upvotes
Edmonton
your best bet wrote: my wife is one of those amazon shoppers,,and guess who is the shmuck who has to return her s hit to shoppers, amazon return..i
curious with stay at home orders coming thursday...is returning an amazon item essestial
- just trying to get out of returning her s hit
Huh? You don't want to return the item and still get your money back?
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2021 posts
1938 upvotes
starchoice wrote: Huh? You don't want to return the item and still get your money back?
OP is from Ontario and Ontario is going into even more stricter lockdown.
OP is wondering if going to Canada Post at SDM to drop off his Amazon return is considered essential trip or not.
Anyone outside on non-essential purpose can be fined.

if OP is worried, pick up a milk from SDM, after dropping off the package.
that's grocery shopping which is essential.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3512 posts
2198 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a Canada Post outlet within a 5 minute walk. Canada Post scans immediately and I get my refund by the time I get home. That's only the advantage for Canada Post.

UPS is more reliable and less likely to have delays but it's all the way near the airport.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19932 posts
4517 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Manatus wrote: For some reason, despite it never having gone wrong in probably 50 times, I remain scared that it will get lost in the mail and Amazon won't refund and I won't have a receipt to argue it.
This is a reasonable concern, though I've never actually had an Amazon.ca return go missing after I dropped it into the Canada Post mailbox.

Alternatively, I had one where the shipping box was just the 'perfect' size, and it got stuck in the mouth of the mailbox. The package chute was jammed shut, and wouldn't open back again. The item was stuck right in the mailbox's 'throat'!
After a couple of days, it was still stuck in there. I eventually called Canada Post, and they eventually sent out someone to 'fix' the mailbox.
And after all of that, the return shipment did reach Amazon, and I was fully refunded.
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Jan 14th, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18705 posts
26925 upvotes
ONTARIO
Select UPS as return option if available. Go to UPS.com and schedule a pickup. Print off the label and tape it to the package. Leave package at front door during the window that UPS is scheduled to come to pick it up.
No interaction with the driver and you don't have to go drop it off at a store.

Easy peasy.
Dec 11, 2011
174 posts
241 upvotes
CALEDON
Get your Wife a part time job at Shoppers.

Advise to her take her OWN shit back when she goes in for work.

If all else fails, divorce.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8959 posts
3316 upvotes
It is low-contact. Throw your return down & stand back. You do not have to hang around for a receipt because the tracking number is on you mailing label in your account. The clerk just has to scan & measure it to get it in the system & you can watch from a distance. You are more likely to get cooties shopping the rest of the store tbh.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
1368 posts
428 upvotes
GTA
I have mailed 200 packages in the past year this method of dropping a prepaid package in the CP drop offs, no issues with them. It reaches the destination.
Nov 5, 2018
251 posts
210 upvotes
I do this all the time with stuff that won't fit in the box. Walk past the massive line, drop the package on the end of the counter and wait for the clerk's attention, then just say "this is ready to go." I've only had one clerk ever have an issue with that, and it was a couple of weeks ago at Shoppers. The clerk (who had a line of about 10 people waiting) said they weren't supposed to let me do that in case it didn't scan. I looked at the line and said I was sure it would be fine, and walked away.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2051 posts
1486 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: Select UPS as return option if available. Go to UPS.com and schedule a pickup. Print off the label and tape it to the package. Leave package at front door during the window that UPS is scheduled to come to pick it up.
No interaction with the driver and you don't have to go drop it off at a store.

Easy peasy.
Does UPS charge anything for picking up parcels?