Travel

Returning back to Canada - quarantine hotels?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2020 10:32 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 18, 2008
160 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto

Returning back to Canada - quarantine hotels?

Trying to find out for a friend - friend wants to come back to Canada, but is worried about the quarantine hotels required to stay in. He has the option of staying with relatives or at a quarantine facility, since his home is occupied by someone over 65.

Anyone have any experience or know someone who has gone through the quarantine hotel process?
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5362 posts
2438 upvotes
gulfstream
40gates wrote: Trying to find out for a friend - friend wants to come back to Canada, but is worried about the quarantine hotels required to stay in. He has the option of staying with relatives or at a quarantine facility, since his home is occupied by someone over 65.

Anyone have any experience or know someone who has gone through the quarantine hotel process?
quarantine hotels are only a last resort..he should be ok to stay with friends...of he opts for quarantine hotels...it will probably be one of the refugee hotels/motels...the yyz one used to be on rexdale between hwy 27 and martin grove..was an old comfort inn that actually has bars on the windows..dont know how nice it is
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5349 posts
1490 upvotes
Toronto
This would be a perfect use for an airbnb, and prices would be cheap since demand is so low. No one wants to stay in a hotel room for 2 weeks, but a nice airbnb would be perfect.

Sadly I think the government still has bans on short term rentals for some reason, but hopefully this restriction is removed ASAP.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5362 posts
2438 upvotes
gulfstream
gei wrote: This would be a perfect use for an airbnb, and prices would be cheap since demand is so low. No one wants to stay in a hotel room for 2 weeks, but a nice airbnb would be perfect.

Sadly I think the government still has bans on short term rentals for some reason, but hopefully this restriction is removed ASAP.
screw Air BnB...I hope they die a miserable death as they created the housing crisis and crazy real estate prices..non regulated cockroaches not paying proper hotel taxes and such
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5349 posts
1490 upvotes
Toronto
cardguy wrote: screw Air BnB...I hope they die a miserable death as they created the housing crisis and crazy real estate prices..non regulated cockroaches not paying proper hotel taxes and such
I travel 8-9 months a year and use airbnb almost exclusively. I've received nothing but stellar support from them and really can't imagine going back to a hotel. They even let all guests that had travel plans during this time (including myself) cancel without penalty - much more than what the airlines did.

Everyone who uses airbnb loves it - this is why they thrived in the pre-covid era, and why they will bounce back as soon as this pandemic goes away. They definitely will not 'die a miserable death'.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5362 posts
2438 upvotes
gulfstream
gei wrote: I travel 8-9 months a year and use airbnb almost exclusively. I've received nothing but stellar support from them and really can't imagine going back to a hotel. They even let all guests that had travel plans during this time (including myself) cancel without penalty - much more than what the airlines did.

Everyone who uses airbnb loves it - this is why they thrived in the pre-covid era, and why they will bounce back as soon as this pandemic goes away. They definitely will not 'die a miserable death'.
good for you supporting an underground economy....i am sure Uber and other suspect "businesses" are on your radar too...ideal millennial
Aug 3, 2017
681 posts
498 upvotes
cardguy wrote: good for you supporting an underground economy....i am sure Uber and other suspect "businesses" are on your radar too...ideal millennial
Pretty blanket hatred there. These industries are becoming more and more regulated. For example, uber now looks more like taxi industry than it did when it started.

IMO pick your poison - In the case of Uber you pay a greedy corporation that squeezes drivers and in the case of taxis pay greedy stand owners and insurance companies who still squeeze drivers.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4639 posts
3710 upvotes
cardguy wrote: screw Air BnB...I hope they die a miserable death as they created the housing crisis and crazy real estate prices..non regulated cockroaches not paying proper hotel taxes and such
Airbnb created the housing crisis? A bit dramatic
Aug 31, 2005
292 posts
51 upvotes
Any updates OP? I have a friend in a similar situation! All families she knows have young children or seniors living with them!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2015
1031 posts
417 upvotes
Markham
How can i travel to my home for quarantine if I don't drive ?

Do they allow taxi, uber or public transit?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15428 posts
12625 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
crazychick wrote: Any updates OP? I have a friend in a similar situation! All families she knows have young children or seniors living with them!
Contact Public Health in your area (Province or City)

Here’s the website with numbers to get you started (bottom of page)

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... sheet.html

I know in some areas that Public Health has commandeered some hotels for these types of Quarantine situations (and no not all old dumpy places like @cardguy has inferred in Reply # 2 ) ... but just regular places that are currently under used cuz of the Travel Restrictions. Places like Hampton Inns, Days Inns, Quality Inns etc

Those staying in them ... are under orders of the Cdn Quarantine Act ... MUST stay in their rooms 24 / 7. Are brought their meals (left outside the door) and linen / towel changes & supplies ... but no housekeeping / room service. Once the 14 Days are up, they are tested ... and then are free to leave the facility & return home.

It is my understanding that these facilities are being used for BOTH those who are returning from abroad (Covid Status Unknown) ... as well as those being discharged from hospitals (Positive Covid Status) ... but neither can easily Quarantine or TOTALLY ISOLATE at home. It’s not 100% clear if both types are being housed in the same facilities (Separated by floors etc) ... or if it’s TYPE A in one, and TYPE B in another (I suspect it’s 2 different facilities ) *

* Truth ... not a lot of info publicly about these facilities ... cuz the last thing Public Health needs are some crazy people showing up at them and shaming & naming the residents who may or may not have Covid. But they do exist, Public Health is taking measures to help Cdns who need help from not spreading the disease.

Is there a charge ? Don’t really know. I would assume so ... especially for those returning from abroad (Covid Status Unknown). Those being discharged from a hospital setting (Positive Covid Status) ... not sure. It may be something covered in the same way Recovery / Rehab & Nursing Homes are in each province.

Again, Provincial / Local Public Health would know.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15428 posts
12625 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
a16107 wrote: How can i travel to my home for quarantine if I don't drive ?

Assume this is after a trip abroad (coming into an airport ? )

When you present yourself to CBSA, and they do the Cdn Quarantine Act Briefing / Questions ... they should have the info on how to proceed / contact local Public Health for Guidance / Assistance ... there also are prob designated cabs for this purpose at the airport (maybe someone else who has travelled recently can address that ).

But in any case, it don’t hurt to have a plan in advance

You can contact your Provincial / Local Public Health Authority for further info (Numbers at bottom of page)
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... sheet.html
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5362 posts
2438 upvotes
gulfstream
divx wrote: well airbnb is getting destroyed these days so @cardguy is very pleased now.
maybe uber is next
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9136 posts
1281 upvotes
Montreal, QC
a16107 wrote: How can i travel to my home for quarantine if I don't drive ?

It basically depends on your status (no symptoms = quarantine guidelines and symptoms = isolation guidelines).

As per the Canadian government's website, if you are in quarantine (aka show no symptoms), these are the guidelines concerning transportation:
Guidelines for arriving passengers without symptoms
  • Use private transportation such as a private vehicle if possible.
  • Do not make any unnecessary stops on your way to your place of quarantine.

If you show symptoms, then you're mandated to isolate in which case the guidelines for transportation are as follows:
Guidelines for arriving passengers with symptoms
  • Do not take public transport. Use private transportation only, such as your private vehicle.
So based on that, if you show no symptoms you are technically free to take whatever mode of transportation you like, they just highly recommend private transportation if possible. If you wish to take public transportation or otherwise, social distancing measures are required.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2015
1031 posts
417 upvotes
Markham
uber_shnitz wrote: It basically depends on your status (no symptoms = quarantine guidelines and symptoms = isolation guidelines).

As per the Canadian government's website, if you are in quarantine (aka show no symptoms), these are the guidelines concerning transportation:
Guidelines for arriving passengers without symptoms

If you show symptoms, then you're mandated to isolate in which case the guidelines for transportation are as follows:
Guidelines for arriving passengers with symptoms

So based on that, if you show no symptoms you are technically free to take whatever mode of transportation you like, they just highly recommend private transportation if possible. If you wish to take public transportation or otherwise, social distancing measures are required.
yes I read it..just a bit concern on "Use private transportation such as a private vehicle if possible."

I do have a car but since I am planning to leave Canada for 3 months to visit my family in Hong Kong (relatively lower case there)

Parking at airport will be very expensive for 3 months...but sounds like they don't recommend Uber/limo even I have no symptoms
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15428 posts
12625 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
The info that @uber_shnitz has provided is correct
a16107 wrote: yes I read it..just a bit concern on "Use private transportation such as a private vehicle if possible."

I do have a car but since I am planning to leave Canada for 3 months to visit my family in Hong Kong (relatively lower case there)

Parking at airport will be very expensive for 3 months...but sounds like they don't recommend Uber/limo even I have no symptoms
I used to work for CBSA ...
As I said in my post (Reply # 12 )

They will brief you upon your return to Canada

And they will put you in touch with a local Public Health person if need be (someone is assigned to the airport to assist with Questions )

BUT ... I recommend you are proactive and call Public Health now, and ask questions ahead of time so you can know your transportation plan BEFORE you go
Mar 8, 2004
469 posts
256 upvotes
Kanata
[/quote]

yes I read it..just a bit concern on "Use private transportation such as a private vehicle if possible."

Parking at airport will be very expensive for 3 months...but sounds like they don't recommend Uber/limo even I have no symptoms[/quote]

Do you know someone that can help you by taking your car to the airport when you arrive and then you drive yourself home?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9136 posts
1281 upvotes
Montreal, QC
a16107 wrote: yes I read it..just a bit concern on "Use private transportation such as a private vehicle if possible."

They don't recommend it but if you show no symptoms they won't stop you from doing it. They don't recommend public transit right now either but plenty of people around the world are taking public transit anyways, airport or not.