Shopping Discussion

Returning BNIB iPod touch

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2011 7:57 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
Apr 15, 2009
161 posts
114 upvotes
Vancouver

Returning BNIB iPod touch

I bought a BNIB iPod touch to give as a gift but ended up getting something else. I want to return it but lost my wallet along with the receipt inside.

Is it possible to return it to the Futureshop i got it from and get back the Cash i paid for it WITHOUT the receipt? Can i return it at a Bestbuy instead (it's closer to where i live)... will their system show that the iPod touch never belonged to them?

Thanks
21 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2009
1448 posts
284 upvotes
Renous
I HIGHLY doubt FS or BB will touch anything without a receipt.

Even if you do have a reciept, you may be stuck with an exchange if it's been over a certain amount of time.

Good Luck
Reserved for future time travellers
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
2665 posts
349 upvotes
Mississauga
+1... what he said. If they do touch it, they'll offer you a gift card at best at the "lowest selling price."
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2006
18303 posts
2168 upvotes
Woodbridge
Getting any store to accept the return without a receipt is pushing it/YMMV so expecting cash back too is pushing it.

If you don't want store credit, sell it here.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 23, 2009
1341 posts
91 upvotes
Brampton
Go talk to the sales rep that sold it to you. He will remember you and have a conversation and explain the situation. That's would be a better way to approach the situation if you did indeed 'lose your wallet.'
10 Years Registered on RFD, Was probably the best Lurker there ever was. And then I registered. Only took me 4 years...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
212 upvotes
Surrey
hazedragon45 wrote: Is it possible to return it to the Futureshop i got it from and get back the Cash i paid for it WITHOUT the receipt?
Possibly. They can usually find the transaction. If the clerk/sales droid you bought it from isn't available or doesn't recognise you, they can search for the sale if you give them the date and approximate time.
Can i return it at a Bestbuy instead (it's closer to where i live)... will their system show that the iPod touch never belonged to them?
You didn't buy it from Best Buy, so why would you expect to return it at Best Buy? If you return it explaining it was bought at FS and you lost the receipt, they may help you. Unlikely, but anything's possible if you're truthful. If you present it as something that was purchased from BB, you are committing a fraudulent act. If you want to be a lying, hypocritical scumbag, then go ahead and do that. I wouldn't. :lol:
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 7, 2007
6449 posts
1093 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Not to accuse the OP of doing anything illegal, but this scenario is precisely what someone wanted to commit fraud would probably come up with. Without a proof of the original sell then there's no way to prevent people from returning a stolen item and get cash/credit from it. The stores want to protect themselves after all.

And returning it to another store is a big NO for sure. It's downright fraud as explained above.

IF you remember the date/time/place you bought the item maybe you can ask them to pull up the receipt from their database, but even then it is probalby not enough to process the return as there's still no proof you were the one that bought the thing (since you paid cash).
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6300 posts
1164 upvotes
number8888 wrote: Not to accuse the OP of doing anything illegal, but this scenario is precisely what someone wanted to commit fraud would probably come up with. Without a proof of the original sell then there's no way to prevent people from returning a stolen item and get cash/credit from it. The stores want to protect themselves after all.

And returning it to another store is a big NO for sure. It's downright fraud as explained above.

IF you remember the date/time/place you bought the item maybe you can ask them to pull up the receipt from their database, but even then it is probalby not enough to process the return as there's still no proof you were the one that bought the thing (since you paid cash).

Just sell it on RFD for 10% less.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 24, 2009
1297 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
The OPs other recent thread about Future Shop was so full of fail and changing stories it puts a doubt in my mind about this one.
Best I can figure is he bought a MacBook on the student discount which included an iPod Touch. Now he wants to get money for the iPod Touch even though it was included free with his Mac.
PS they DO take down the serial number of the iPod on the bill of sale with the MacBook.
I call Shenanigans.
Bill
My blog
Newbie
Apr 29, 2009
41 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Blueroom wrote: The OPs other recent thread about Future Shop was so full of fail and changing stories it puts a doubt in my mind about this one.
Best I can figure is he bought a MacBook on the student discount which included an iPod Touch. Now he wants to get money for the iPod Touch even though it was included free with his Mac.
PS they DO take down the serial number of the iPod on the bill of sale with the MacBook.
I call Shenanigans.

+ 1

After reading through the nonsensical mess that his last thread developed into I can only come to the conclusion that either:

A) The OP is bored and making stuff up to see what people respond with
B) The OP is anxious because whatever plans he had to defraud future shop aren't panning out - and he is fishing for some ideas / positive reinforcement from the RFD community.

Seriously why would he buy an Ipod touch from Future Shop after he claimed a couple of weeks ago that FS stole $2600 from his CC?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
21155 posts
2491 upvotes
Toronto
Not possible to return an Apple product to FS or BB without a receipt for refund or exchange...this is confirmed as I received a Nano as a gift and wanted to exchange it for a netbook (with me adding money) since I already have a decent mp3 player.

Luckily the gift giver is my relative and they were able to get a gift receipt.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7596 posts
1087 upvotes
Toronto
hazedragon45 wrote: I bought a BNIB iPod touch to give as a gift but ended up getting something else. I want to return it but lost my wallet along with the receipt inside.

Is it possible to return it to the Futureshop i got it from and get back the Cash i paid for it WITHOUT the receipt? Can i return it at a Bestbuy instead (it's closer to where i live)... will their system show that the iPod touch never belonged to them?

Thanks

not all is lost,

If you have paid it with a credit card or debit card, they can track it down. If its cold hard cash, then nope.

I was able to return something at FS last year as they were able to track down the transaction # with my credit card i had used.
Sr. Member
Oct 25, 2006
558 posts
52 upvotes
Ravioli wrote: + 1

After reading through the nonsensical mess that his last thread developed into I can only come to the conclusion that either:

A) The OP is bored and making stuff up to see what people respond with
B) The OP is anxious because whatever plans he had to defraud future shop aren't panning out - and he is fishing for some ideas / positive reinforcement from the RFD community.

Seriously why would he buy an Ipod touch from Future Shop after he claimed a couple of weeks ago that FS stole $2600 from his CC?

did you notice this post of his?
hazedragon45 wrote: 4 months ago telus installed TV in my home. I had the CIS, but decided on the spot that i wanted a PVR box. They gave me one but left the CIS330 in my house. Looking at my telus bill, i only pay for the HD PVR box rental and not the CIS330. Can i sell this?
...sounds like a real straight shooter.
Perfect eBay Feedback
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
211 upvotes
Farm
Blueroom wrote: The OPs other recent thread about Future Shop was so full of fail and changing stories it puts a doubt in my mind about this one.
Best I can figure is he bought a MacBook on the student discount which included an iPod Touch. Now he wants to get money for the iPod Touch even though it was included free with his Mac.
PS they DO take down the serial number of the iPod on the bill of sale with the MacBook.
I call Shenanigans.

hey detective... they're not giving away free iPods at the moment.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2008
9448 posts
478 upvotes
al3x89 wrote: hey detective... they're not giving away free iPods at the moment.

although he was offered a $200 credit for a bad experience at FS from another thread.

Top