• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2020 10:03 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1204 posts
1562 upvotes
West
wysiwyg wrote: I live alone in a condo. Does that mean I can go to the garbage chute, pick up mail and deliveries (corporation doesn’t allow delivery drivers to the units right now) I would obviously avoid any contact with others, like taking stairs, waiting for an empty elevator or during quiet times.
The rules state you shouldn't be in any public space. If you're a real stand-up citizen, you'd just ask your neighbour or family member to do it for you (or whoever is delivering your groceries/food), if they felt comfortable. Part of the reason why these overarching policies have to be put in place is that the government doesn't have time to nail down super nitty-gritty details to every individualized circumstance, and simply because the public cannot be trusted to use any sort of logic 99.9% of the time.

That said, I don't think many reasonable people would blame you for carrying out the bare minimal, super essential tasks with no other alternative present, provided you are adhering to strict precautions. Things like making sure you're squeaky clean before exiting, considering times where no one else is out, wear a mask, minimize touching of surfaces (wiping anything you do touch), and going straight to the garbage chute/mail & back when absolutely necessary to.

Just don't tell anyone you've been away internationally if you're going to do those tasks yourself. Always a risk of someone snitching on you these days... some rightfully so, others are completely illogical.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4483 posts
878 upvotes
Scarborough
Phonophoresis wrote: The rules state you shouldn't be in any public space. If you're a real stand-up citizen, you'd just ask your neighbour or family member to do it for you (or whoever is delivering your groceries/food), if they felt comfortable. Part of the reason why these overarching policies have to be put in place is that the government doesn't have time to nail down super nitty-gritty details to every individualized circumstance, and simply because the public cannot be trusted to use any sort of logic 99.9% of the time.

That said, I don't think many reasonable people would blame you for carrying out the bare minimal, super essential tasks with no other alternative present, provided you are adhering to strict precautions. Things like making sure you're squeaky clean before exiting, considering times where no one else is out, wear a mask, minimize touching of surfaces (wiping anything you do touch), and going straight to the garbage chute/mail & back when absolutely necessary to.

Just don't tell anyone you've been away internationally if you're going to do those tasks yourself. Always a risk of someone snitching on you these days... some rightfully so, others are completely illogical.
True, but if someone rats him out and the condo has video evidence, he's going to get fined.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8719 posts
2406 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
WestJet resolved my problem with them. They cancelled the flight they had committed to put me on without offering an alternative, and declined to refund my fare, putting it into a credit instead. :(

I tracked down a WestJet return-trip itinerary for week later that would bring me from Mexico to Vancouver directly. WestJet wanted C$1400+ for this return-trip itinerary as a code-share with AeroMexico. AeroMexico was charging under C$700 for the same itinerary.

I hope I’ll be able to use the WestJet credit someday, but I’m considering cancelling my RBC/WestJet credit card. No point in paying for a credit card and building flight dollars if WestJet is not going to fulfill reservations.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15435 posts
4602 upvotes
London
Looks like sniffer dogs can be trained to detect covid (they detect the changes in your metabolism if you have covid) :

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/dog ... nailing-it

...... the (helsinki) airport is engaging in a trial that has seen 10 specially-trained sniffer dogs brought in to detect passengers sick with the coronavirus, some of whom can be asymptomatic. Four COVID-detecting canines will be deployed each shift to screen passengers, who will also receive a standard screening to ensure the dogs’ results are correct.

The pups were trained by smell detection agency Wise Nose, which works to “maintain and promote olfactory discrimination skills and organize a variety of training and performance opportunities.” Wise Nose claims the dogs can detect the coronavirus with near-100 per cent accuracy. “We think that this works because the metabolic processes in the body of a diseased patient are completely changed,” Maren von Koeckritz-Blickwede, a professor at the University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, explained in a video posted to YouTube. “We think that the dogs are able to detect a specific smell.”

Oct 3, 2020
3 posts
2 upvotes
Hi All,

I’ve gone back and forth between the USA and Canada 6 times since March. I work in the USA as an engineer, but I’m a Canadian citizen. I have residences in both countries. I’m also a NEXUS pass holder.

Here’s the truth: if you’re a Canadian citizen, then there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about when returning to Canada. The goal of the land border closure (and yes, it’s the land border going into the US that’s closed - ports of entry through Pearson and presumably other Canadian airports are “open” - American agents aren’t actively vetting the purpose of travel, though best to have a good reason) is really to keep Americans out of Canada. Don’t get me started on the politics of the decision, but it suffices to say that it’s made life very difficult for Canadians who have to navigate these draconian rules while going back and forth for good reason. But you have citizen rights returning to Canada and that’s what matters. The Arrive Canada app is not mandated upon entry. Instead there is a paper form that essentially gets filed along with all the other customs documentation which lists your quarantine location (presumably your residence). It’s incumbent upon you to fill it out accurately and respect the quarantine mandate, but honestly, they’re very relaxed at the border with Canadian citizens. And they should be - if you don’t have COVID (and what sensible person would travel if they knew that had it or had symptoms) it would be a violation of your Charter Rights to deny you entry. I can’t speak to international travel outside of the USA but I imagine it’s the same - fill out the form, be on your merry way.

Additionally, now at Pearson Terminal 1, they’re offering free COVID tests on your way out to collect data that will hopefully reduce or eliminate the quarantine period. Canada is (as far as I’m aware) the only advanced nation that has the mask mandate and quarantine rules. If you’re not displaying symptoms, then it’s stands to reason that the mask and social distancing should be sufficient to prevent spread in the unlikely event that you’re an asymptomatic carrier. So they are trying to roll this back by collecting data to demonstrate that incoming travelers are not significantly more likely to have COVID. Also, to put your mind at ease, it’s not the brain scrape nasal test - it’s just the tip of the nose. No big deal.

Hope this helps some of you planning to travel. Yes, you are allowed to travel outside of Canada if you so choose and no one can stop you from returning, despite the Karenization of public discourse around this topic. Canadians should really be more angry about the situation. It’s reflexive anti-American reaction as far as I can tell, not an honest consideration of the facts - but in the end, it only really hurts Canadians. Happy to wear a mask and social distance - not sure why we need to be under house arrest for weeks as well with no symptoms just for crossing an imaginary line. Hopefully they change it soon.
Jul 17, 2019
14 posts
2 upvotes
I am making the trip back to Toronto on thanksgiving from Hong Kong and plan to stay at my parents basement apartment while in quarantine. Here is my situation,

My parents basement apartment,has a separate entrance, bathroom, kitchen. They are 65 and older, relatively healthy, the only contact we will have, and its not really contact is that they will just leave food/supplies for me by the door while I am in quarantine. They will not be accessing the basement at all. I called the hot line and got mixed answers from a NO because my parents are over 65, to a should be ok, because the contact will be minimal and I am totally separate from them. Who makes the decision on this? Public health or the border officer?

My next option would be my girlfriends parents place in Pickering, they are 63 and 64, which is within the guidelines, but I do not want to be troubling them at all.

Which leaves me with the last option of finding an Airbnb/Hotel where I can quarantine in, which I do not want to do, but its not off the table.

Also with transportation, is uber/ taxis ok to get to the place of quarantine? my gf/ dad/ gf's dad all volunteered to drive me home, but I prefer not to as I do not want expose them unnecessarily.
Aug 3, 2017
521 posts
351 upvotes
Yk0910 wrote: I am making the trip back to Toronto on thanksgiving from Hong Kong and plan to stay at my parents basement apartment while in quarantine. Here is my situation,

My parents basement apartment,has a separate entrance, bathroom, kitchen. They are 65 and older, relatively healthy, the only contact we will have, and its not really contact is that they will just leave food/supplies for me by the door while I am in quarantine. They will not be accessing the basement at all. I called the hot line and got mixed answers from a NO because my parents are over 65, to a should be ok, because the contact will be minimal and I am totally separate from them. Who makes the decision on this? Public health or the border officer?

My next option would be my girlfriends parents place in Pickering, they are 63 and 64, which is within the guidelines, but I do not want to be troubling them at all.

Which leaves me with the last option of finding an Airbnb/Hotel where I can quarantine in, which I do not want to do, but its not off the table.

Also with transportation, is uber/ taxis ok to get to the place of quarantine? my gf/ dad/ gf's dad all volunteered to drive me home, but I prefer not to as I do not want expose them unnecessarily.
What part of your plan is outside the guidelines? You are not interacting with anyone. Last I read the guidelines, you are encouraged to segregate and they want at minimum at separate bedroom and bathroom. You seem to be planning to follow the rules.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... sheet.html
Jul 17, 2019
14 posts
2 upvotes
dolfan1980 wrote: What part of your plan is outside the guidelines? You are not interacting with anyone. Last I read the guidelines, you are encouraged to segregate and they want at minimum at separate bedroom and bathroom. You seem to be planning to follow the rules.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... sheet.html
The thing is my parents are 65 and older, that part is what I am weary about.

I do not want to land at Pearson to find out my parents place is unacceptable for quarntine and having to scramble to find a place at that time. That would be a disaster!
Mar 8, 2004
348 posts
173 upvotes
Kanata
Yk0910 wrote: The thing is my parents are 65 and older, that part is what I am weary about.

I do not want to land at Pearson to find out my parents place is unacceptable for quarntine and having to scramble to find a place at that time. That would be a disaster!
According to the regulations you seem fine. I would consider this living in your separate residence if you have no contact. Don't think anyone here can really help you either way. If this arrangement is unacceptable when you return it's an interpretation of the rules.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
5315 posts
1134 upvotes
ochenspiel wrote: Hope this helps some of you planning to travel. Yes, you are allowed to travel outside of Canada if you so choose and no one can stop you from returning, despite the Karenization of public discourse around this topic. Canadians should really be more angry about the situation. It’s reflexive anti-American reaction as far as I can tell, not an honest consideration of the facts - but in the end, it only really hurts Canadians. Happy to wear a mask and social distance - not sure why we need to be under house arrest for weeks as well with no symptoms just for crossing an imaginary line. Hopefully they change it soon.
The problem is all these lunatics talk about how the tests give high false negatives and everyone is walking around asymptomatic, when you cannot even get tested without showing any symptoms in the country right now.
Jan 16, 2012
16 posts
7 upvotes
Hi Yk0910,

My situation is very similar to yours. I shall be grateful if you will share your experience when arriving Toronto Pearson Airport.

This canada.ca page:
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... antine_and
states that:
Travellers without symptoms (mandatory quarantine)...
Avoid contact with...65 years or older...
You may only quarantine with somebody from the above group if:
.they consent to the quarantine
.you complete a form provided by a government representative at the port of entry explaining the consent and receive authorization to proceed.

I tried to search for the "form" but unable to find it.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11903 posts
2099 upvotes
Mississauga
apnayloags wrote: Does anyone even checkup on those doing the quarantine at their homes ??
This is anecdotal but my friend has been in quarantine since the 27th (flying in from USA and is here because her dad died) and no one has contacted her the whole time to follow up. She has other friends who have been in quarantine and they were called daily and have even gotten in-person visits.
Jul 30, 2015
647 posts
521 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: This is anecdotal but my friend has been in quarantine since the 27th (flying in from USA and is here because her dad died) and no one has contacted her the whole time to follow up. She has other friends who have been in quarantine and they were called daily and have even gotten in-person visits.
Same for many of my friends. No follow up at all.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
5315 posts
1134 upvotes
It's not news that Health Canada is running out of manpower to call or visit people in quarantine. Besides they're government employees. Do you think they'll call you outside of 9-5 Mon-Fri?
Aug 3, 2017
521 posts
351 upvotes
mebiuspower wrote: It's not news that Health Canada is running out of manpower to call or visit people in quarantine. Besides they're government employees. Do you think they'll call you outside of 9-5 Mon-Fri?
That’s a pretty ignorant response. Sure many health officials are overwhelmed, but those working in that field right now don’t need to see these kind of opinions.