• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2022 3:21 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 16, 2022
5 posts
1 upvote

Returning Costco Buy More Save More Seating Items

Costco.ca currently has the following deal on select seating items. I am interested in this $899.99 sofa, but you must spend $1000 to get $200 off. So, if I add an item like this $120 chair to my cart I get the $200 discount. So couch and chair for $819.99 vs. $899.99 for the couch alone.

But I don't need or want a chair, so I called up Costco.ca customer service and explained the situation, hoping to get a price adjustment to save them shipping me an unwanted chair, which I would then return.

The Costco rep consulted with manager and couldn't give me a straight answer beyond "you won't get a full refund for the chair" and suggested that the full $200 discount might be revoked if I return it (which is absurd).

Does anyone know if I will be able to return/refund the chair in this circumstance?
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6946 posts
8962 upvotes
GTA
deepeary wrote: Costco.ca currently has the following deal on select seating items. I am interested in this $899.99 sofa, but you must spend $1000 to get $200 off. So, if I add an item like this $120 chair to my cart I get the $200 discount. So couch and chair for $819.99 vs. $899.99 for the couch alone.

But I don't need or want a chair, so I called up Costco.ca customer service and explained the situation, hoping to get a price adjustment to save them shipping me an unwanted chair, which I would then return.

The Costco rep consulted with manager and couldn't give me a straight answer beyond "you won't get a full refund for the chair" and suggested that the full $200 discount might be revoked if I return it (which is absurd).

Does anyone know if I will be able to return/refund the chair in this circumstance?
It's not absurd. If you return the chair you no longer meet the requirements for the $200 off $1000. What if the promo was $800 off $3000 would you expect them to let you keep the couch for $99 after returning the other $2100 worth of items? Costco will either claw back the entire $200 promotion amount or prorate it.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2022
5 posts
1 upvote
tew wrote: It's not absurd.
So, I buy a couch and chair for $820. Then if I return the chair, they would respond by charging me an extra $80 for the couch. How is that not absurd? I'm being charged more for less product.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
48091 posts
8901 upvotes
Richmond Hill
deepeary wrote: So, I buy a couch and chair for $820. Then if I return the chair, they would respond by charging me an extra $80 for the couch. How is that not absurd? I'm being charged more for less product.
While this may sound reasonable, in practice, systems aren't set up that way to determine if the store would actually be better off simply giving you the amount off and not shipping you that added item, if the filler item costs less than the order level discount. You're better off just getting the chair and selling or donating it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6946 posts
8962 upvotes
GTA
deepeary wrote: So, I buy a couch and chair for $820. Then if I return the chair, they would respond by charging me an extra $80 for the couch. How is that not absurd? I'm being charged more for less product.
You're not buying a couch and a chair for $820. The couch is $899 and the chair is $120 for a total of $1019, you then get a $200 discount for spending over $1000. If you return the chair you no longer qualify for the promotional discount. $899 is less than the $1000 that you need to qualify for the promo. Similarly if you get $500 off for buying three appliances and end up returning one of them you are not entitled to keep the $500 discount.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2008
1109 posts
1155 upvotes
No, you're being charged the accurate price of $899 because now your total purchase is less than $1000, which means you don't get the discount.

You can't just make up your own rules based on what you personally think is fair. It's Costco's store, it's their rules. Don't like it? Go somewhere else. This isn't difficult.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
2250 posts
5657 upvotes
North York ON
In other events similar to this, you're refunded the amount charged. But the other ones use a discount distributed across all items.

The only way to find out is to bring it back and ask for a refund. I suspect that the staff wouldn't even care.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
19017 posts
13880 upvotes
Markham
Some places will recalculate value of returned item by prorating the discount. You see this at Home Depot when they give a "free" battery with purchase but you want to return the battery. It's YMMV what they do.

Worst case you return both items if they don't give you what you want...having said that do you really NOT want the couch for $80 differential?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3200 posts
2890 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
deepeary wrote: The Costco rep consulted with manager and couldn't give me a straight answer beyond "you won't get a full refund for the chair" and suggested that the full $200 discount might be revoked if I return it (which is absurd).
Why would it be absurd? You're getting a discount for meeting certain items. As is the case with pretty much any retailer, if you return something that was part of a package pricing deal, your refund will either see the discount amount pro-rated or you'll lose the discount all together. One of the reasons for this, is people doing the exact same thing you're looking at doing. Meet the package requirements then return one of the items while expecting to maintain the package discount.

Why not just get them both, then sell the chair or give it away?
So, I buy a couch and chair for $820. Then if I return the chair, they would respond by charging me an extra $80 for the couch. How is that not absurd? I'm being charged more for less product.
No, you buy a couch and chair for $900+$120 = $1020 (rough numbers, no rounding, no tax etc), and because you qualify for a $200 discount with this package, the total billing amount is $820.

You return the $120 chair, you no longer qualify for the $200 discount, so the chair is refunded and the discount is removed.

You're paying the originally advertised price for the couch of $820.

You're not paying 'more for less'. You're paying full price for the item in question because you don't qualify for a discount.

What's absurd is that you can't grasp that basic concept.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2022
5 posts
1 upvote
ALLCAPS wrote: Why would it be absurd?
I said revoking the full $200 discount would be absurd—and obviously so! Have you ever worked in business? Imagine being a retailer who forces a customer to take saleable merchandise (and heavy merchandise, that you must pay to ship) as the key condition giving said customer a price reduction.

Then if I returned the unwanted merch, they would demand payment to reverse the price reduction. How would that unfold? Would they dip into my credit card for that $80? Or rummage through my pockets?

"What's absurd is that you can't grasp that basic concept."

It's not a big dollar value here. I just wanted to see if any RFDers had insights into this kind of circumstance. And seems some of you have. Thanks!
Last edited by deepeary on Mar 18th, 2022 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2014
1042 posts
1257 upvotes
Southern Ontario
gr8dlr wrote: Some places will recalculate value of returned item by prorating the discount.
This actually happened to me at Costco a couple years ago with a Masterpass offer (something like spend $100, get $20 off). They prorated the refund of the $20 discount relative to how much I returned, though the return did cause the remaining order to dip below the threshold.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
48091 posts
8901 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ALLCAPS wrote: Why not just get them both, then sell the chair or give it away?
Likely the OP thinks they're doing Costco a favour by not wanting the chair, thereby they have an additional chair to sell, while OP doesn't have to deal with selling it or throwing it away, and still get $80 off the couch.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
2250 posts
5657 upvotes
North York ON
deepeary wrote: I said revoking the full $200 discount would be absurd—and obviously so! Have you ever worked in business? Imagine being a retailer who forces a customer to take saleable merchandise (and heavy merchandise, that you must pay to ship) as the key condition giving said customer a price reduction.
There are several posters who regularly argue and throw insults at OPs. Not worth your time engaging with them.

You can take it to the nearest Costco and see what they do. You won't be the only one who does this and I'm sure Costco has figured that into the numbers before doing these promos. That's why it's $200 off $1000 and not $200 off $400. It's probably still against the terms of the promotionbut they have themselves covered regardless.

Worst case scenario is they make a note on your membership about doing this. I don't think it will put your membership at risk unless there is a pattern. I seriously doubt they will claw back anything. They might refuse the return or they might just go with it and not give you any hassle. Only one way to find out.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3200 posts
2890 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
deepeary wrote: I said revoking the full $200 discount would be absurd—and obviously so!
You don't qualify for the discount any more, so why would you expect to get the discount? The discount qualification is that you purchase at least $1000 in merchandise.
as the key condition giving said customer a price reduction.
This is where you're getting confused. This is not a price reduction. This is a discount, and to get the discount you are required to meet certain eligibility.
Then if I returned the unwanted merch, they would demand payment to reverse the price reduction.
No, they're simply recalculating the premium to consider the discount for which you no longer qualify.
How would that unfold? Would they dip into my credit card for that $80? Or rummage through my pockets?
Nope. They would basically not give you any refund at all in this case. If it were a larger value item being returned, they would adjust the refund so that your final price on the item you were keeping was $899+tax. Of course, they MAY charge you more. Depends on the numbers.
It's not a big dollar value here. I just wanted to see if any RFDers had insights into this kind of circumstance. And seems some of you have. Thanks!
Anytime. Have a great one.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5955 posts
4500 upvotes
LaLaLand
Don't buy anything and you saved $800.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23958 posts
23052 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Jon Lai wrote: Likely the OP thinks they're doing Costco a favour by not wanting the chair, thereby they have an additional chair to sell, while OP doesn't have to deal with selling it or throwing it away, and still get $80 off the couch.
True …
But in reality it’s probably being drop shipped to the Customers House c/o the Manufacturer
And the reason to begin with that Costco is offering the $ 200 Discount … WUSpend $ 1000 minimum
Is Costco is passing along some of the savings they got from the manufacture by saying they’d take accountability & move so many units

OP … hasn’t got a clue how the world of retail works at all
Let alone Costco

I mean this is Consumerism 101
The idea of how a basic sale works

You Spend X … You Save Y
You don’t spend X …you don’t qualify
So you pay the higher price

What is he 12 ?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2166 posts
1303 upvotes
Oakville
I'm with the OP on this one. I bought the same two items, but I was trying to return the $899 couch and keep the $120 seat. First, they wouldn't refund $899 which is the price of the couch I was returning. And they wouldn't refund the $820 price I actually paid, since they expected me to return the $120 chair that I got for free as well.

I tried calling them and have them just ship me the $120 chair for free since I was going to return the $899 couch anyways, but I had to have both shipped and then return the couch to get the $200 discount on the $120 chair if I just spent $780 more and then return the $899 item.

The nerve of Costco. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
3132 posts
3930 upvotes
Langley
Thanks OP for an idea.
next time I see buy one get one free deal, I'll just demand that I only get 1 at half price.
Why should I have to buy two and pay the full price, when I only need one? I'm doing them a favor right? :rolleyes:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6946 posts
8962 upvotes
GTA
cba123 wrote: I'm with the OP on this one. I bought the same two items, but I was trying to return the $899 couch and keep the $120 seat. First, they wouldn't refund $899 which is the price of the couch I was returning. And they wouldn't refund the $820 price I actually paid, since they expected me to return the $120 chair that I got for free as well.

I tried calling them and have them just ship me the $120 chair for free since I was going to return the $899 couch anyways, but I had to have both shipped and then return the couch to get the $200 discount on the $120 chair if I just spent $780 more and then return the $899 item.

The nerve of Costco. :facepalm:
You calculated that incorrectly!!! It's not free Costco would actually owe you $80 if you return the couch and keep chair. Purchase amount: 900+120 -200 = $820 After couch return: 820 - 900 = negative $80
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6946 posts
8962 upvotes
GTA
Keith1411 wrote: There are several posters who regularly argue and throw insults at OPs. Not worth your time engaging with them.

You can take it to the nearest Costco and see what they do. You won't be the only one who does this and I'm sure Costco has figured that into the numbers before doing these promos. That's why it's $200 off $1000 and not $200 off $400. It's probably still against the terms of the promotionbut they have themselves covered regardless.

Worst case scenario is they make a note on your membership about doing this. I don't think it will put your membership at risk unless there is a pattern. I seriously doubt they will claw back anything. They might refuse the return or they might just go with it and not give you any hassle. Only one way to find out.
OP already got the answer when he called Costco.
deepeary wrote: The Costco rep consulted with manager and couldn't give me a straight answer beyond "you won't get a full refund for the chair" and suggested that the full $200 discount might be revoked if I return it (which is absurd).
As other people have posted Costco prorated the amount during a return when the promo terms were no longer met. They aren't going to "figured that into the numbers", that being returns that drop the total below the qualifying amount and letting you keep the entire discount. What if the OP was returning the chair instead of the couch do you think Costco would let him keep the full $200 discount and just make a note on his file?
OP doesn't want to find out what Costco will do when he returns the chair, he doesn't want to have to even purchase it. He tried to talk Costco into just giving him the discount without even qualifying for it by only spending $900 instead of $1000. "Hey, I know I don't qualify for the promotion but I want it anyway."