• Nov 5th, 2020 7:48 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 13, 2015
18 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto

Returning Headphones From BestBuy

I purchased a headphone (Bose SoundSport) from BestBuy on the BlackFriday weekend and now I want to return it because it does not have mic. I was in a real hurry while ordering thinking that it will go out of stock and did not read the specs that it is without a mic. Now, I got another shock that BestBuy.ca that they won't accept opened headphone boxes. In my case, I have not opened the box but I did tear the outside plastic wrap. While I was opening the wrap I noticed that on the back side it was mentioned that it is without a mic and hence I controlled myself and did not opened it completely.

Now, will BestBuy consider this as an opened box and not accept it ? If they won't accept it are there any alternatives ? I really feel I wasted $60 just for the name "Bose". I could have easily got a headphone with integrated mic for the same price if I was a bit sane while ordering :( :(.

Here are the URLS:
Bose SoundSport Your text to link here...
Best Buy Return Policy Your text to link here...
31 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2009
2471 posts
3656 upvotes
Quebec
Why don't you give them a call?
Jan 13, 2015
18 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
They said the same thing. If the box has been opened they won't accept it. Now i dont know if "opened" means opening the outer wrap or the opening the inner box.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
deepak26v wrote: I purchased a headphone (Bose SoundSport) from BestBuy on the BlackFriday weekend and now I want to return it because it does not have mic. I was in a real hurry while ordering thinking that it will go out of stock and did not read the specs that it is without a mic. Now, I got another shock that BestBuy.ca that they won't accept opened headphone boxes. In my case, I have not opened the box but I did tear the outside plastic wrap. While I was opening the wrap I noticed that on the back side it was mentioned that it is without a mic.
You opened the external packaging, so it's opened and non-returnable. You should have looked at the specs before you bought it.
hence I controlled myself and did not opened it completely.
Well...apparently you didn't control yourself that much... :-)
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1091 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
Amazon is a better option for purchasing headphones if you are unsure.

I believe this has been Best Buy's policy since 2012.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2863 posts
2537 upvotes
Vancouveresque
You're probably SOL, but you can add a ModMic instead.
Nobody cares which companies you use/subscribe to on a monthly basis unless there is a deal to be had. Why advertise for them in your forum signature?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2391 posts
682 upvotes
Vancouver Island
lilclie wrote: Amazon is a better option for purchasing headphones if you are unsure.

I believe this has been Best Buy's policy since 2012.
I think anywhere is a better option to buy certain things, such as headphones, than BB.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6251 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Rob76 wrote: I think anywhere is a better option to buy certain things, such as headphones, than BB.
Why? I agree with Best Buy policy. Stuff like headphones, onced opened, should never be returned. It is very unhygienic.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
sandikosh wrote: Why? I agree with Best Buy policy. Stuff like headphones, onced opened, should never be returned. It is very unhygienic.
So headphones are like underwear...

It's a dumb policy. An earbud might make sense but the tips can always be changed out. Really, how is it different from a hat if the phones go over the ear?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3204 posts
1094 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
deepak26v wrote: They said the same thing. If the box has been opened they won't accept it. Now i dont know if "opened" means opening the outer wrap or the opening the inner box.
My guess is that if the box looks like it has been opened to the extent that someone could have worn the headphones then they cannot be resold.

There may be an option to return them almost unopened when you purchase a higher priced replacement headset. Calling them won't help. You have already got them to echo their policy. They have to see the box and you.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2016 upvotes
Scarborough
deepak26v wrote: I purchased a headphone (Bose SoundSport) from BestBuy on the BlackFriday weekend and now I want to return it because it does not have mic. I was in a real hurry while ordering thinking that it will go out of stock and did not read the specs that it is without a mic. Now, I got another shock that BestBuy.ca that they won't accept opened headphone boxes. In my case, I have not opened the box but I did tear the outside plastic wrap. While I was opening the wrap I noticed that on the back side it was mentioned that it is without a mic and hence I controlled myself and did not opened it completely.

Now, will BestBuy consider this as an opened box and not accept it ? If they won't accept it are there any alternatives ? I really feel I wasted $60 just for the name "Bose". I could have easily got a headphone with integrated mic for the same price if I was a bit sane while ordering :( :(.

Here are the URLS:
Bose SoundSport Your text to link here...
Best Buy Return Policy Your text to link here...
Call the manufacturer and tell them you have a defected device and you have the receipt to prove you just bought it and BB won't allow opened box returns. Wait for the Manufacturer to send you a new set and return the unopened box to BB for a full refund.

BB keeps their unopened product and the manufacturer keeps their so-called defective gear which they can turn around and sell anyways. You are not out of pocket. Trust me I do this all the time.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2391 posts
682 upvotes
Vancouver Island
sandikosh wrote: Why? I agree with Best Buy policy. Stuff like headphones, onced opened, should never be returned. It is very unhygienic.
Not debating the merits of the policy, I was just saying that from a consumer's standpoint why would anyone buy headphones from BB knowing full well they'd be stuck with them in the off chance they don't like them. And let's be honest, no matter how many specs you read on headphones or reviews you watch, you never really know how they sound or if they're to your satisfaction until you try them. My point was that there are plenty of other retailers with superior return policies than BB, so why bother.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6251 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Rob76 wrote: Not debating the merits of the policy, I was just saying that from a consumer's standpoint why would anyone buy headphones from BB knowing full well they'd be stuck with them in the off chance they don't like them. And let's be honest, no matter how many specs you read on headphones or reviews you watch, you never really know how they sound or if they're to your satisfaction until you try them. My point was that there are plenty of other retailers with superior return policies than BB, so why bother.
Plenty of other retailers? Name them. Name them so I can return stuff because I am not satisfied. You can do me a favor as I would like to know the difference a set of these headphones like this compared to others. If I'm not satisfied, I can return it
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2391 posts
682 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Just a few of the retailers that I've had past experience with personally with respect to this particular topic at hand;

Costco
Walmart
London Drugs
Amazon
Staples
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
:facepalm: You linked to an Amazon deal, who accept returns of basically everything, including used toothbrushes, for any reason, like Walmart.

Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6251 upvotes
Poormond Hill
hvwozq wrote: :facepalm: You linked to an Amazon deal, who accept returns of basically everything, including used toothbrushes, for any reason, like Walmart.

The only reason I linked an Amazon deal is because I am looking to try out a set of Sennheiser headphones. I want to know how much difference it makes from a regular set like a $70 Sony one.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
OrangeBerry wrote: Call the manufacturer and tell them you have a defected device and you have the receipt to prove you just bought it and BB won't allow opened box returns. Wait for the Manufacturer to send you a new set and return the unopened box to BB for a full refund.
Assuming that you get a new retail package in return. Manufacturers weren't born yesterday. Who knows, you might even end up with a refurbished pair :) .
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
just keep it or give it to a cousin in india if u go there :lol:
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
If that is the case, why do they have headphones out for demo...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)