• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2017 10:15 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3844 upvotes

Returning an item with which a gift card was used

How does returning an item work where a gift card was used.

Do they refund the gift card as well as the credit card used?
7 replies
May 9, 2005
184 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
It really depends on the store. But majority of stores will return to the original form of payment. So if you used half credit card and half gift card, you will get it back half on your credit card half on a gift card.
My Heatware (5-0-0)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16748 posts
9524 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Depending on the store's policy. Some stores will refund it as cash, some will do gift cards/store credit, others will do what ever they have in place. You really need to check with the store to see what their policy is.
Dec 15, 2006
950 posts
552 upvotes
Ottawa
They will probably refund the return to a gift card,
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2829 posts
2137 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Messerschmitt wrote: How does returning an item work where a gift card was used.

Do they refund the gift card as well as the credit card used?
As others have said, it really depends on the retailer.

I've had refunds returned as cash, i've had refunds put on debit/credit (depending on what the other part of the split was) and I've had the split - part gift card, part debit/credit.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8682 posts
4879 upvotes
They will always put it back on the gift card. This prevents folks who get GC's as gifts using them on products, and returning in hopes of getting a refund to another form of payment. I have yet to find a store that would refund to a form of payment, other than the original one.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2006
1119 posts
556 upvotes
boyoflondon wrote: They will always put it back on the gift card. This prevents folks who get GC's as gifts using them on products, and returning in hopes of getting a refund to another form of payment. I have yet to find a store that would refund to a form of payment, other than the original one.
old navy
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2038 posts
1877 upvotes
Toronto
Depends on the store.

I once purchased some sun glasses from The Bay from their online site, with a gift card someone gave me as a present. I returned it at the store at the Eaton Center as it did not fit properly, and they refunded it to my CC.

Which I thought was wierd, but hey, I basically turned that giftcard into cash lol. Works for me.